Q & A

Public Schools and their 'Security Measures'

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Dec 16, 2012 @ 04:47:40
Way back n the mid to late 1990's when y youngest kid was entering high school . The school she was to start attending , had been a closed campus for quite sometime with a 12 foot high chain link fence surrounding the entire place , which was not a problem to my way of thinking.
But , the year before my kid started her freshman year t,he school became more like a detention center or juvenile correctional facility with guards on the roofs and at the entrance gate a metal detector at the front doors complete with guards..
There had not been any serious issue with violence of any kind. No kid napping or gang banger problems nor fire arm / weapons.
I did not like the changes , but felt I had no choice. It's not like there are high schools around every corner .

The school year was just started the first report cards were couple f weeks away , hen one day I had to go get my kid for a doctors appointment she had .
Now, I'm her mother and legal guardian , she's in a public school and it was local and real doctor she had an appointment with . I showed up an hour before her appointment to get her , Starting at the gate
I was treated like I was trying to kidnap the president or something. It took 20 minutes get passed that guard with all his inane questions an requisites for info. , so by the time I'm walking though the front doors I'm not in a real nice frame of mind.I walk thur their detector with no problem . Then the secretary starts in with the same s*** the a** hole at the gate had.
I mentioned that maybe she could just call him and get his okay about me and then if she could use her intercom and call my kid up there maybe we wouldn't miss her appointment
Long story short. We not only missed the doc appt. we were over a hour late before my kid walked into that sectaries office.
I had , had to much by then. Before I left that school property that day my kid had been un enrolled ..
She never walked though another public school door again, She went Thu the four years of highschool attending a private church school. Now I' ot a chrch ger and a that time o since ave never attended an servics or gatherings at that or any other church.
I really hated that she didn't have the extra activties like ball games and clubs and the social interaction that akid gets atendin regular high school . But f the trade off was a better education fr the kid , none of the the crappy education and the s***ty way the public schools had started treating both the students and parents .

Now days it seems that a week doesn't pass that we hear about some school having been on ' lock down' for all sorts of different reasons. That is a phrase that should not be assoiciated with a place full of children ,IMO.
It's strange, we have turned our schools into prison like places,keeping the kids in and the rest of the world out and it does no good. For a parent to get onto and remove their kids from a school property for a Doctors appt. is about as easy as touring the white house, post 9/11.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#2New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 01:05:15
@white_swan53 Said

Way back n the mid to late 1990's when y youngest kid was entering high school . The school she was to start attending , had been a closed campus for quite sometime with a 12 foot high chain link fence surrounding the entire place , which was not a problem to my way of thinking.
But , the year before my kid started her freshman year t,he school became more like a detention center or juvenile correctional facility with guards on the roofs and at the entrance gate a metal detector at the front doors complete with guards..
There had not been any serious issue with violence of any kind. No kid napping or gang banger problems nor fire arm / weapons.
I did not like the changes , but felt I had no choice. It's not like there are high schools around every corner .

The school year was just started the first report cards were couple f weeks away , hen one day I had to go get my kid for a doctors appointment she had .
Now, I'm her mother and legal guardian , she's in a public school and it was local and real doctor she had an appointment with . I showed up an hour before her appointment to get her , Starting at the gate
I was treated like I was trying to kidnap the president or something. It took 20 minutes get passed that guard with all his inane questions an requisites for info. , so by the time I'm walking though the front doors I'm not in a real nice frame of mind.I walk thur their detector with no problem . Then the secretary starts in with the same s*** the a** hole at the gate had.
I mentioned that maybe she could just call him and get his okay about me and then if she could use her intercom and call my kid up there maybe we wouldn't miss her appointment
Long story short. We not only missed the doc appt. we were over a hour late before my kid walked into that sectaries office.
I had , had to much by then. Before I left that school property that day my kid had been un enrolled ..
She never walked though another public school door again, She went Thu the four years of highschool attending a private church school. Now I' ot a chrch ger and a that time o since ave never attended an servics or gatherings at that or any other church.
I really hated that she didn't have the extra activties like ball games and clubs and the social interaction that akid gets atendin regular high school . But f the trade off was a better education fr the kid , none of the the crappy education and the s***ty way the public schools had started treating both the students and parents .

Now days it seems that a week doesn't pass that we hear about some school having been on ' lock down' for all sorts of different reasons. That is a phrase that should not be assoiciated with a place full of children ,IMO.
It's strange, we have turned our schools into prison like places,keeping the kids in and the rest of the world out and it does no good. For a parent to get onto and remove their kids from a school property for a Doctors appt. is about as easy as touring the white house, post 9/11.

Well white swan,I know I'll get jumped all over for saying this,but you Americans live in a gun happy society as has been proven more times than I care to think about.
How many times in recent years and in past years have we heard about some loser going into a restaurant,work place,school or any other public place for that matter and killing people for know better reason than they can or they have some petty grievance with someone or something. We've heard of kids being stabbed to death in schools,or kids having weapons confiscated from them before they even get through the gates and god knows we've seen many times kids bashing the teachers and video footage posted on youtube.

I understand your attitude toward the school in mention in your thread,and I will agree that I think their security measures were way way overboard,BUT,you have to agree their attitude at making sure your child was in a safe environment with all the overboard security ensuring nobody got in without good reason worked,it's just a shame they didn't have something like that at this latest school killing,so many innocent lives taken (adults and little children)and all because of one loser with access to guns.

Being Australian we aren't allowed to have Guns and I'm glad we aren't,yeah we know their are those who feel the need to have one out there walking the streets who sometimes use them,just like there are those who'll carry a knife ,but the general attitude is vastly different to that of the USA and the need to bear arms.

I've probably trodden on toes with this,but then I don't even care because I'll just slip off into tfs oblivion,never to be heard from again. Bye
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#3New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 01:55:27
@Demented Said

Well white swan,I know I'll get jumped all over for saying this,but you Americans live in a gun happy society as has been proven more times than I care to think about.
How many times in recent years and in past years have we heard about some loser going into a restaurant,work place,school or any other public place for that matter and killing people for know better reason than they can or they have some petty grievance with someone or something. We've heard of kids being stabbed to death in schools,or kids having weapons confiscated from them before they even get through the gates and god knows we've seen many times kids bashing the teachers and video footage posted on youtube.

I understand your attitude toward the school in mention in your thread,and I will agree that I think their security measures were way way overboard,BUT,you have to agree their attitude at making sure your child was in a safe environment with all the overboard security ensuring nobody got in without good reason worked,it's just a shame they didn't have something like that at this latest school killing,so many innocent lives taken (adults and little children)and all because of one loser with access to guns.

Being Australian we aren't allowed to have Guns and I'm glad we aren't,yeah we know their are those who feel the need to have one out there walking the streets who sometimes use them,just like there are those who'll carry a knife ,but the general attitude is vastly different to that of the USA and the need to bear arms.

I've probably trodden on toes with this,but then I don't even care because I'll just slip off into tfs oblivion,never to be heard from again. Bye

The problem here is people can get illegal guns too easily. Remember, stopping the availability of guns only stops the legal ones. This most recent one is proof of that. The killer stole his mom's gun.... but then again, him mom was an idiot who let her mentally unstable son learn to shoot

Newtown shooter stole mom's gun

n/a, New Mexico
#4New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 02:22:50
But, but , but I didn't have my fire arm on me or even in my pick up truck that day ! there was no reason for that gate guard or the secretary to act the way they did. I never even ask either of them if they wanted to see any of my fire arms .

n/a, New Mexico
#5New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 02:36:17
@Demented Said

I understand your attitude toward the school in mention in your thread,and I will agree that I think their security measures were way way overboard, BUT,you have to agree their attitude at making sure your child was in a safe environment with all the overboard security ensuring nobody got in without good reason worked,it's just a shame they didn't have something like that at this latest school killing,so many innocent lives taken (adults and little children)and all because of one loser with access to guns.

It worked in the sense that my 'child' was never again held prisoner behind 12 foot high fences with locked or guarded gates and roof tops. Not able to come and go as a non convicted American citizen . I told that principle that day ,that if ever my daughter were to become a convict and court ordered to do time , at least she couldn't say she had no idea what to expect going in.

bolded text,,,
Just think. If our guys hadn't of been able to whip a** and push back ,all those years ago when ole king James was taxing with out representing the colony's we would be singing the same tunes lots and lots of folks who ancestors either never bothered to fight off the mantle of serf or subject , or lost the fight
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#6New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 06:11:31
Since being shot by a student aiming at the principal, I've never been able to go into a school. The school now has metal detectors and police.
I can't look at guns and want much stricter laws to get them. I'm not sure where to start. I live 5 min. from a mall terrorized by a crazed woman with a fully automatic gun. Who needs that much gun power? We'll never be able to second guess a maniac. I want protection, but not a gun. I understand white-swan; the school should have been aware of the parents. Do we live in fear? I can't; what happens happens. Tonight another crazy shot up a mall. I don't know what to say; I never got over my own trauma and never will. I've heard the phrase,"it's only the internet", several times lately. It's powerful; think about what's exploding.
We're at war. I'm rambling, and have a lot to process.
I won't take your gun, but not making it damn hard to get a gun is insane. I know a corner to go shopping. I'm angry and sad.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#7New Post! Dec 17, 2012 @ 06:24:36
All they really need are several US flags to generate that invisible force field to protect the campus's freedom.
syco On April 26, 2013

Deleted

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Dec 18, 2012 @ 00:38:44
Wow, your pissed at your kids school because they took there responsibility towards her safety seriously? I bet if the security wasn't there and your darling child was the victim of another columbine then you'd have been the first to be ranting about there incompetence.

Maybe if you'd had informed the school beforehand then she would have been outside waiting for you, or better yet, keep her at home the day she has to get to the doctors.
syco On April 26, 2013

Deleted

Somewhere, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Dec 18, 2012 @ 19:24:23
@white_swan53 Said

It worked in the sense that my 'child' was never again held prisoner behind 12 foot high fences with locked or guarded gates and roof tops. Not able to come and go as a non convicted American citizen . I told that principle that day ,that if ever my daughter were to become a convict and court ordered to do time , at least she couldn't say she had no idea what to expect going in.

bolded text,,,
Just think. If our guys hadn't of been able to whip a** and push back ,all those years ago when ole king James was taxing with out representing the colony's we would be singing the same tunes lots and lots of folks who ancestors either never bothered to fight off the mantle of serf or subject , or lost the fight

Maybe your ancestors were brave enough to throw off the shackles of serfdom, but look at how many surfs go on shooting rampages. Then compare that to the amount of shooting spree's in the US, well, I'm glad that my ancestors didn't have the foresight to move so that I could live in a free country. I'd rather not be able to go into a supermarket and buy an uzi, because no one else can.

And if that makes me a surf, well bring it on.

I also notice that no one has defended you countries right to raise killers like the guy that went into the junior school in sandy hook. All in all, for all its faults the UK seems a lot safer.
gingernproud On January 16, 2013
In need of a dunkin.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 18, 2012 @ 20:16:00
My daughters school upgraded their security system a few years back.
They installed new 8 foot fences with intercoms for gaining entry after school started,security guards in and around school(not armed being in the U.K ) and a metal detector system like the airport on entry to reception.
All visits to the premises needed to be booked in advance etc...
I went for an appointment a few months later and it took me over half an hour to gain entry after all the checks at different points,even though all the staff knew me.
It could of took hours for all i cared for the piece of mind of knowing my daughter was safe within the premises was worth the waiting time.
I believe in this day and age (sadly) it what's needed in all schools.It may not be right but it is definitely needed.

n/a, New Mexico
#11New Post! Dec 23, 2012 @ 22:40:40
@syco Said

Wow, your pissed at your kids school because they took there responsibility towards her safety seriously? I bet if the security wasn't there and your darling child was the victim of another columbine then you'd have been the first to be ranting about there incompetence.

Maybe if you'd had informed the school beforehand then she would have been outside waiting for you, or better yet, keep her at home the day she has to get to the doctors.

Damn straight! I got pissed, when my darling childs school campus became no different then a prison compound .
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#12New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 02:30:48
@white_swan53 Said

Damn straight! I got pissed, when my darling childs school campus became no different then a prison compound .

Prison or fortress?

n/a, New Mexico
#13New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 03:53:43
@Tar Said

Prison or fortress?

Prison.
I have a friend that many years ago got into some trouble and was sent to a medium security state prison after a a bit he was transferred to the minimum security prison to finish out his sentence.
Getting onto the schools property and then leaving with my kid from there was very similar to the process to visit an inmate in prison at a medium security state facility.
It's completely understandable to go though that kind of process at a prison full of law breakers but not at a school full of kids. IMO
The school had the right idea but went about implementing it in totally the wrong way.
It wasn't but about 1 1/2 school years later that the school backed off treating the parents and students like law breakers and got a handle on the situation . From what I could gather there were a lot of complaints from both parents and students about the treatment they were dealing with from the school employees. I didn't have any kids in the public school system by then , so what I heard was second hand from others.

n/a, New Mexico
#14New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 03:59:24
I did mention in my OP that there had not been any problems with violence, guns or otherwise before the school started with gaurds on the roof and gates and such. To my knowledge over a decade later there still hasn't been any such problems there.
Deal_With_It On May 24, 2022

Stevens Pass, Washington
#15New Post! Dec 24, 2012 @ 06:37:14
@white_swan53 Said

I did mention in my OP that there had not been any problems with violence, guns or otherwise before the school started with gaurds on the roof and gates and such. To my knowledge over a decade later there still hasn't been any such problems there.

white__swan, maybe that's why there hasn't been any problems at the school. They seem to be serious about their security measures.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs