Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

Proven Strategies for Beating Stress

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 00:52:06
Most of us know these but as we begin a new week I thought that I'd list them/ they really do make life better.
~Socialize, see friends, relatives, go to club meetings. Stay connected, this is paramount.
~Talk, cry, laugh, get angry. Let it out.
~Exercise regularly; it reduces anxiety, releases tension and spurs the brain to pump more endorphins.
~Eat a healthy well balanced diet.
~Block stress by losing yourself in activities you enjoy. Add them to your schedule and do the consistently.
~Get perspective. Remember past hardships you've overcome.This gives you a sense of, "Yes I can!" That always helps.
~Live in the moment through activities you enjoy; small escapes like tv or movies.
~Practice slow deep breaths. Shallow fearful breathing sends stress signals to the brain.
~Try yoga or meditation. If you don't like them don't force yourself, try something else.

These may sound like things to do if you're older, but if you do them your entire life, they enrich and possibly prolong it.

These are things that I'm doing to get through a long recovery, I notice little by llttle an everyday improvement.
glassman55 On November 01, 2010

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 00:58:55
@readsalot Said

~Talk, cry, laugh, get angry. Let it out.

No offence, but saying that to any guy is a lost cause, since women expect their men to be macho and the one picking them up when THEY are down.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#3New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 00:59:55
All great tips jazz! Hope you're feeling more yourself these days; and that you had a great mother's day.

#4New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:05:44
@glassman55 Said

No offence, but saying that to any guy is a lost cause, since women expect their men to be macho and the one picking them up when THEY are down.

That's not a very healthy relationship. People should be there for each other. I wasn't talking just men and women relationships; relationships in general.I'd be a pretty selfish person if I did all of the emotional taking; no offense.

Octavarium On December 23, 2021

Pacific North West,
#5New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:16:01
Really good advice. Stress can be a killer and these are all great points to reduce it, I practice a bit of them myself and know they work.

Pacific North West,
#6New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:18:44
And glassman, seriously, any true man should be able to express his emotions freely, especially with someone he loves.

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:24:40
@Octavarium Said

And glassman, seriously, any true man should be able to express his emotions freely, especially with someone he loves.

In a perfect world, yeah. I guess I'm just not close enough to my girlfriend yet.

Pacific North West,
#8New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:40:48
lol, well, you are still in that stage of learning the in's and out's of relationships. It can be a hard stage of life, I know that well. Just don't get locked into the stereotypical role of that 'macho' image. Being macho and being a strong man are two different things. In an honest relationship there should at the very least be an honest sharing of feelings and you shouldn't be afraid to express you own personal feelings with your girlfriend just as your girlfriend shouldn't be afraid to express hers with you.

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#9New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:43:12
@Octavarium Said

@Octavarium Said

lol, well, you are still in that stage of learning the in's and out's of relationships. It can be a hard stage of life, I know that well. Just don't get locked into the stereotypical role of that 'macho' image. Being macho and being a strong man are two different things. In an honest relationship there should at the very least be an honest sharing of feelings and you shouldn't be afraid to express you own personal feelings with your girlfriend just as your girlfriend shouldn't be afraid to express hers with you.

Yeah, but we're still not close enough, really. If I'm gonna do something like that, I need to know that we're at the stage where she cares about that kinda stuff

#10New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:48:40
How old is this relationship and if you can't open up about something big try something small. I'd feel like a terrible wife if my husband didn't know that I was there for him emotionally. You have to start somewhere.

Pacific North West,
#11New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:52:28
I totally understand dude. You don't need to breakdown and bawl in her arms though, just don't be afraid to show that your human, that you have emotions, happy, sad, etc. Know what I mean?

Deleted

Dingwall, United Kingdom
#12New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:53:29
@readsalot Said

How old is this relationship and if you can't open up about something big try something small. I'd feel like a terrible wife if my husband didn't know that I was there for him emotionally. You have to start somewhere.

Only two months. We've only hugged so far, but I'm glad of that. I'm thinking I'm gonna build a foundation first, rather than rushing in previous bad experiences.

Pacific North West,
#13New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:56:59
It sounds like your moving along at a good pace then, taking care and building things the right way.

#14New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 01:57:36
@glassman55 Said

Only two months. We've only hugged so far, but I'm glad of that. I'm thinking I'm gonna build a foundation first, rather than rushing in previous bad experiences.

Once you build that foundation, you'll know. If you can't be there for each other it will never work. Time is reaally a "miracle worker."

Pacific North West,
#15New Post! May 11, 2009 @ 02:03:40
@readsalot Said

Once you build that foundation, you'll know. If you can't be there for each other it will never work. Time is reaally a "miracle worker."

Well said. I totally agree.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs