Police to Stop and Search Without Giving A Reason

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...11 12 13 · >>
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:27:40
That's just crap. THis is a country where we are slowly losing our rights bit-by-bit. I have no problem with having my DNA or fingerprints but I refuse to be searched for simply looking suspicious.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:28:53
@stumblinthrulife Said

I imagine that the intent of this bill is not to deliberately encroach on our freedoms, but rather to reduce administration since a copper will no longer have to justify his stops.

That is part of the reason. Like I've said before tho, the other reason why they're doing it tho is cos of the increased crimes committed in these groups by these groups. The current stop and search laws just aren't working, so unless anyone has any better ideas . . . .?

stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#18New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:32:28
@hedkandi1984_21 Said
That is part of the reason. Like I've said before tho, the other reason why they're doing it tho is cos of the increased crimes committed in these groups by these groups. The current stop and search laws just aren't working, so unless anyone has any better ideas . . . .?

But will unjustified searches help? I mean, if there is good reason to suspect they are up to no good, then the current law covers the copper. If there is not good reason, then you are going to either be searching people randomly - hardly efficient - or racially profiling people, which is institutional racism, another thing that is supposed to be illegal.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:35:10
@stumblinthrulife Said
But will unjustified searches help? I mean, if there is good reason to suspect they are up to no good, then the current law covers the copper. If there is not good reason, then you are going to either be searching people randomly - hardly efficient - or racially profiling people, which is institutional racism, another thing that is supposed to be illegal.

Exactly. Unless there is reason to suspect someone of a crime then they should be left alone. All this can do is cause further distrust between people, government and police (a erious problem) or cause more cries of racism than there already are, possibly pushing more and more people to extremism.
rockdave On May 23, 2009

peterboring, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:38:07
@hedkandi1984_21 Said
They won't stop you. They'll be stopping the black and Asian kids who spend all their time loitering Unfortunately, there have been a lot of violence with these groups recently, so I can see why they're planning on doing it.

and what makes you say that? your black so its easy for ya to say that. you do have a point there are some white police that will stop blacks and asians same as some black and asians coppers would target the white people. in the main area that asians live in peterborough, it is a s***hole. daily crime and its a horrible part of the city. targeting certain races? bollocks its just whats needed round there

London, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:39:19
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4786852.stm

I just found this.

Glynn Jones, 22, from Clapham, south-west London says he has been stopped at least 15 times in the past six months.

He says that neither he, nor his elder brother Spencer, 26, have a criminal record or have been in trouble with the police.

"It's not the point that I am getting stopped, it's just the way they treat you when they stop you and the way they've dealt with me is just wrong," Mr Jones said.

"I would like to maybe advise them (the police) and give them some tips on when they stop black people. Young black people like myself.

"Just to talk to them with respect and have manners. Treat them the same way you would treat a white person, sir or madam, whatever. Not blood, not mate, not bruv, not son."

Maybe the police need to work on the way they deal with people, to try and make them not feel victimised, if this new law goes through.

And maybe they need to keep some sort of paperwork cos searching someone that often is just stupid!

I don't know about the unjustified searches. They might help because if people know they are more likely to be searched, they're less likely to carry weapons

This just seems like a last resort tactic, because amnesties aren't working, but there are so many weapons still out there on the streets.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:41:09
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

I just found this.

Glynn Jones, 22, from Clapham, south-west London says he has been stopped at least 15 times in the past six months.

He says that neither he, nor his elder brother Spencer, 26, have a criminal record or have been in trouble with the police.

"It's not the point that I am getting stopped, it's just the way they treat you when they stop you and the way they've dealt with me is just wrong," Mr Jones said.

"I would like to maybe advise them (the police) and give them some tips on when they stop black people. Young black people like myself.

"Just to talk to them with respect and have manners. Treat them the same way you would treat a white person, sir or madam, whatever. Not blood, not mate, not bruv, not son."

Maybe the police need to work on the way they deal with people, to try and make them not feel victimised, if this new law goes through.

And maybe they need to keep some sort of paperwork cos searching someone that often is just stupid!

I don't know about the unjustified searches. They might help because if people know they are more likely to be searched, they're less likely to carry weapons

This just seems like a last resort tactic, because amnesties aren't working, but there are so many weapons still out there on the streets.

It's a violation of rights. HAng on. Give me 10 mins to check the human rights act. If there's anything there, I'll let you know. If I can look at it.

London, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:41:12
@rockdave Said
and what makes you say that? your black so its easy for ya to say that. you do have a point there are some white police that will stop blacks and asians same as some black and asians coppers would target the white people. in the main area that asians live in peterborough, it is a s***hole. daily crime and its a horrible part of the city. targeting certain races? bollocks its just whats needed round there

Because I've seen them do it . . . they're more likely to search the teenage boys who think they're all ghetto and stand around taking up half the sidewalk talking.
joe762 On April 18, 2008

Deer Park, New York
#24New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:41:44
@hedkandi1984_21 Said

I just found this.

So claimed weapons are protected by our bill of rights, you know the Se coned Amendment;"the right to keep and bear arms shall now be in fringed".

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:42:46
@joe762 Said
So claimed weapons are protected by our bill of rights, you know the Se coned Amendment;"the right to keep and bear arms shall now be in fringed".

I don't know. . .isn't that an American thing? Cos I'm talking about the UK here. . .
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:44:05
Ok. I think maybe this might cover it. I'll keep looking.

Article 8

Right to respect for private and family life

1 Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.
rockdave On May 23, 2009

#27New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:44:05
what does bother me is ethnic groups all the while saying is it cuz im black? i hate that cuz it isnt always the case i suppose they say it to try and wind it up more its because your suspicious looking and need stopping buddy!
joe762 On April 18, 2008

Deer Park, New York
#28New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:45:38
Yes, we have the U.S. Constitution here that was written by our forefathers who fled the British Monarchy; they came here to set up a free country and secured it with the U.S. Constitution which is the supreme law of the land. It is slowly deteriorating.
rockdave On May 23, 2009

#29New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:46:11
@hedkandi1984_21 Said
Because I've seen them do it . . . they're more likely to search the teenage boys who think they're all ghetto and stand around taking up half the sidewalk talking.

well if they didnt try being a big boy in a big mans world they would look a d*** and invite random searches
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Jan 30, 2008 @ 20:46:32
@crazychica Said
Ok. I think maybe this might cover it. I'll keep looking.

Article 8

Right to respect for private and family life

1 Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence.
2 There shall be no interference by a public authority with the exercise of this right except such as is in accordance with the law and is necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security, public safety or the economic well-being of the country, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others.

Pair it with this and it looks like it might be arguable.

Article 17

Prohibition of abuse of rights

Nothing in this Convention may be interpreted as implying for any State, group or person any right to engage in any activity or perform any act aimed at the destruction of any of the rights and freedoms set forth herein or at their limitation to a greater extent than is provided for in the Convention.

ANd here's where I found it Office of Public Sector Information
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs