Chemistry

Please help

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 14:27:34
Ok, this is the same thing as yesterday, but I edited it a bit. One of my flatmates read it and thought it was good but I just need to make absolutely sure.

In this experiment, the optimum concentration of an acetonitrile and water mobile phase for the separation of a cortisone mixture using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) was determined. This was achieved by running a testosterone sample through an HPLC instrument at various concentrations of acetonitrile starting at 45% acetonitrile and finishing with 75%. The results were plotted in this graph (see appendix 1). The optimum concentration was determined to be 60%. The cortisone mixture was then separated using both a 75% concentration and the 60% concentration, proving 60% to be the optimum concentration.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#2New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 16:08:19
@crazychica Said

Ok, this is the same thing as yesterday, but I edited it a bit. One of my flatmates read it and thought it was good but I just need to make absolutely sure.

In this experiment, the optimum concentration of an acetonitrile and water mobile phase for the separation of a cortisone mixture using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) was determined. This was achieved by running a testosterone sample through an HPLC instrument at various concentrations of acetonitrile starting at 45% acetonitrile and finishing with 75%. The results were plotted in this graph (see appendix 1). The optimum concentration was determined to be 60%. The cortisone mixture was then separated using both a 75% concentration and the 60% concentration, proving 60% to be the optimum concentration.

Your statement the optimum concentration was determined to be 60% leaves concentration undefined. Am I correct by inferring that you could better describe that by saying the optimum concentration of acetonitrile mixture was determined to be 60%? Overall this provides more infromation than yesterdays offering. I gather that you are saying that the cortisone concentration of 60% is optimum and that the optimum concentration of Acetonitrile was 60% as well.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 16:15:17
@kentoo Said

Your statement the optimum concentration was determined to be 60% leaves concentration undefined. Am I correct by inferring that you could better describe that by saying the optimum concentration of acetonitrile mixture was determined to be 60%? Overall this provides more infromation than yesterdays offering. I gather that you are saying that the cortisone concentration of 60% is optimum and that the optimum concentration of Acetonitrile was 60% as well.

No. The concentration of cortisone was fixed and unknown. We signed the saftey thing for the experiment, went in and our supervisor for that one kept an eye on us for safety and told us some stuff that wasn't in the notes, the concentration of the cortisone mixture was never an issue since that was out analyte.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#4New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 16:22:48
One more question to clarify... Is the acetonitrile part of the testosterone sample?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 17:57:50
No. It's the solvent that carries the samples through the column of the intrument.

Salmon Arm, Canada
#6New Post! Nov 12, 2008 @ 19:50:43
Ok I got it... I wonder though,is your instructor going to pretend to be as ignorant as I am?
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 13, 2008 @ 10:05:33
I don't know. I'm really just following his example for the abstract. I have put acetonitrile before the concentration though. THanks for all your help.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs