Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
unicorn On March 18, 2010

Deleted

The Oaks, Australia
#31New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 03:02:54
@chisa96 Said

I think it's great that the child has another woman that she(?) can call mum. I think that the real mother is being completely selfish dragging the family through more court proceedings over something so trivial. Part of splitting up is that your ex will find someone else and that someone else will play an incredibly significant role in raising your child. Essentially (and ideally) your child will have two mothers and two fathers.

The jealousy is understandable, and it would burn the hell out of me too, but this woman should just be glad that her child is so comfortable with her father's girlfriend.

She should at least get to a point where she doesn't have to drag them all through court for every stupid thing. She needs to find a way to work with the father and find their compromises on their own; separated parents is hard enough for a child.

(That's assuming we know all the details, which is unlikely. It's conceivable that the father is too much of a d*** to work with and is actively training the child to think that the new girlfriend is the mother and the real mother is just some crazy lady.)

I agree with you, in an ideal world it would be great if the child could have harmony with essentially 2 sets of parents that care a great deal for her.

Like I have said before I don't think that jealousy is the big issue but we don't know for sure Equally could not the stepmum and dad back down before allowing this to go to court.

Mediatation is required in our family courts before a hearing to trym to reslove an issue so given that one would have to assume it has fallen on deaf ears.

I think your last statement is probably spot on
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#32New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 07:05:03
@unicorn Said

We don't know the exact circumstances of this case, but it could be that the child is forced to call the stepmum, mum.By force I mean not talking or responding to the child if she does not call her by 'mum' etc.

We also do not know if the ex husband and new wife call the real mum names etc.

I agree taking it to court is a bit excessive, but I totally understand why someone would feel the need to, sad thing is even though the court can rule in her favour they cannot police the outcome.

I don't think it's about ego either. I think it's about respect,would you have liked your child calling someone else Dad that badmouthed you and tried to pretend you did'nt exist let alone calling you a bad father?

If there is mutual respect then all's fair, but if as has been reported an agreement was reached upon the bio parents splitting that no others were to called mum or dad, then how can this be considered anything but spite and deliberate denegration and hurt upon the mother.

You seem to be leaping to a lot of assumptions, I didn't read any of that in the story.
You know my attitude to parenting, and that I have an adopted son as well as two "naturals", so please accept that I will ALWAYS put the child's happiness, security, and sense of self-worth first, above all other considerations. If life had lead me down a different path, I WOULD have accepted my kids calling another man Dad, as long as he WAS behaving as a proper Dad to them, I faced that thought and prepared for it before I was given custody. I have known many happy children who have prattled on about their collection of parents, and most of them were/are quite comfortable with having TWO Dads or Mums, or BOTH. That's hardly RARE these days, but how often do you hear of utter tripe like THIS hitting the courts?
I have only EVER known ONE person who would pull a stunt like that, my ex-sister in law, she dragged my brother into court so often over such trivialities that she became the first person in the state to be LEGALLY BANNED from initiating court-proceedings, she was deemed a "Vexatious Litigant"!
My brother threw a PARTY!
AND invited HER!
Strangely, she didn't turn up, must have been busy or something!
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 11:24:56
@unicorn Said

It does say the couple 'split'when the baby was 4months old not that the stepmum has been in it's life since then, infact it continually refers to her as the new wife.Never does it say the child has known the stepmum her entire life.

'New' wife is a relative term, considering it states that this has been a problem since the child could talk.

My Dad has a 'new' wife, but they have been married 12 years!

@Marcussextus Said

You seem to be leaping to a lot of assumptions, I didn't read any of that in the story.
You know my attitude to parenting, and that I have an adopted son as well as two "naturals", so please accept that I will ALWAYS put the child's happiness, security, and sense of self-worth first, above all other considerations. If life had lead me down a different path, I WOULD have accepted my kids calling another man Dad, as long as he WAS behaving as a proper Dad to them, I faced that thought and prepared for it before I was given custody. I have known many happy children who have prattled on about their collection of parents, and most of them were/are quite comfortable with having TWO Dads or Mums, or BOTH. That's hardly RARE these days, but how often do you hear of utter tripe like THIS hitting the courts?

EXACTLY!
Unfortunatly breaking up means that their will be (most likely) other people in the childs life, that the child looks up to, and loves.
Hardley anyone has the 'normal' family these days
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#34New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 11:30:36
Didn't OP or someone here mentioned that there was a promise or understanding between the two saying the child should not have a new mom?

Of course that would be avoid if the child IS told of the biological mother but the child has more affections towards the dad's new wife. Calling mom in this situations isn't bad at all.

But if the child was brainwashed or was never mentioned of the biological mom and FORCED to call the dad's new wife mom or made to do so, then it'll be unjust and it is more of child psychological abuse.

If the second above, then there are reasons to dispute for a lawsuit but then there are no legal bindings to actually favor one over the other or takes their words for granted.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#35New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 15:37:47
@unicorn Said

It does say the couple 'split'when the baby was 4months old not that the stepmum has been in it's life since then, infact it continually refers to her as the new wife.Never does it say the child has known the stepmum her entire life.

Yeah, I reread that part but it does say that this battle has been going on since the child was able to talk. That puts the child around 1 or 2 years old doesn't it? And since it doesn't say that the stepmom wasn't there, just that it wouldn't have been an issue since the child wouldn't have been calling her anything...she couldn't talk. So, as a toddler, what do you call the woman who's married to Daddy?
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#36New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 20:15:38
@someone_else Said

So, as a toddler, what do you call the woman who's married to Daddy?

Their first name. Or Miss _____.

Deleted

The Oaks, Australia
#37New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 22:01:02
@Ko Said

Didn't OP or someone here mentioned that there was a promise or understanding between the two saying the child should not have a new mom?

Of course that would be avoid if the child IS told of the biological mother but the child has more affections towards the dad's new wife. Calling mom in this situations isn't bad at all.

But if the child was brainwashed or was never mentioned of the biological mom and FORCED to call the dad's new wife mom or made to do so, then it'll be unjust and it is more of child psychological abuse.

If the second above, then there are reasons to dispute for a lawsuit but then there are no legal bindings to actually favor one over the other or takes their words for granted.

Yes there was an agreement between the two bio parents at the time of seperation that no one else was to be called mum or dad. Just because a relationship sours that does not negate all previous agreements.

Deleted

The Oaks, Australia
#38New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 22:11:19
@Marcussextus Said

I have only EVER known ONE person who would pull a stunt like that, my ex-sister in law, she dragged my brother into court so often over such trivialities that she became the first person in the state to be LEGALLY BANNED from initiating court-proceedings, she was deemed a "Vexatious Litigant"!
My brother threw a PARTY!
AND invited HER!
Strangely, she didn't turn up, must have been busy or something!

Sorry Marcus we have to agree to disagree on this one, we both know our values and stances on parenting.You also know that I put my kids first and foremost.

My quote starting with 'we don't know'. An assumption would not begin with that would it? I think you have made assumptions that the mother is acting out of "ego' and 'jealousy'" not out of something else

I have already stated that it's sad it's gone to court because even then the step mum and father can still encourage the child to use the term mum etc with no policing or consequences.

I appreciate your sentiments of what you would have done had this situation eventuated in your life/circumstance, but as with many things, until you are actually faced with this and have to live it, it's almost impossible to understand.
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#39New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 22:15:59
Tough one. My oldest has two Moms. From when he started talking he called his biological mother (my ex) Mommy and called me Momma. And to this day he'll tell anyone who'll listen how he has two moms. We split up when he was 2, and he is still a part of my life and still calls me Mom...Momma sometimes, but he kinds grew out of it lol.
At the same time... if/when my youngest baby's dad gets a girlfriend (and DAMN I wish he WOULD to get him outta MY hair! ) I will NOT have her have anything to do with the way my son is raised. The dad still has a lot to prove as a father in my eyes anyway, so no way am I gonna let HIM let someone ELSE have any say in it!
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#40New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 23:06:24
@Kristy69 Said

Their first name. Or Miss _____.

But they're family. They're not the kid's kindergarten teacher.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#41New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 23:12:11
@chisa96 Said

That was my opinion, too. At least about the Miss ______. Some of my friends had stepdads and they called them by their first names but they were already older when they met the new husband...I can't imagine doing that with a toddler. Just seems wierd. I understand they had an agreement but...what a wierd agreement.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#42New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 23:16:45
@someone_else Said

That was my opinion, too. At least about the Miss ______. Some of my friends had stepdads and they called them by their first names but they were already older when they met the new husband...I can't imagine doing that with a toddler. Just seems wierd. I understand they had an agreement but...what a wierd agreement.

I agree.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#43New Post! Mar 10, 2010 @ 00:58:02
@chisa96 Said

I call my moms sisters by their first names.

It's never been aunt Lisa, aunt Laura and aunt Jenn.

It's always been Lisa, Laura and Jenn.

And my cousin calls his parents by their first names.
My other cousin's step daughter calls her Miss Maggie.

I don't think it's that big of a deal to call a family member by their 1st name.

If my dad remarried I sure as hell wouldn't call the woman Mom. That's a slap in MY mother's face.

Deleted

The Oaks, Australia
#44New Post! Mar 10, 2010 @ 01:07:22
Plenty of stepmums have a nickname used by their stepchild to address them.

I think it is very weird to be ok with another woman being called mum by your child, toddler or not.

Mum is a learned word just like any other so the toddler could be taught to call the stepmum anything at all, it certainly appears in this case the child has been "encouraged"to use the terms mum, mummy or Mummy D.

I know a hell of a lot of families where it is the norm that the titles mum or dad be reserved only for the bio parents.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#45New Post! Mar 10, 2010 @ 01:09:47
@Kristy69 Said

If my dad remarried I sure as hell wouldn't call the woman Mom. That's a slap in MY mother's face.

Apples and oranges. You're 16, not 2. You have a complex relationship with your mother that you understand. A two year old doesn't have that complex of a relationship with his/her mother. It is not a slap in the face from the 2 year old. It may be a slap in the face from the father and/or stepmother but we don't know the details.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs