The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Society & Lifestyles:
Law

Mileage-based tax under consideration..?? WTF?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#1New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:24:15
"-- The Obama administration is considering a plan that would require the study and execution of a plan to tax U.S. drivers based on the amount of miles they drive.

The plan is included in the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act and follows a Congressional Budget Office report backing the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Business_News/2011/05/05/Mileage-based-tax-under-consideration/UPI-45841304624393/#ixzz1LWULkaTB
" Mileage-based Tax Under Consideration

So the gov't is considering taxing drivers based on milage to supplement the gas tax. They're saying that since cars are getting fuel efficient, they're not getting enough money.
Seems like the American people won't save money no matter what they do.
Before anyone freaks, it's not legislation yet. It's just in talks to see if it's viable. So if you drive a fuel-inefficient car, you're boned.
the only way I think they would be able to tax this would be through the DMV in registration renewals..
these tracking devices..... or whatever.. to me seem like an invasion of freedom and privacy..
Either way.. I seriously doubt this will pass.
I know I'll be writing my Congressmen expressing my complete and utter disapproval on this.

thoughts?
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:25:22
Didn't we discuss this a few months ago? I think it's something that comes up from time to time and never passes. I think it's a ridiculous idea.
Makes me glad I'm not getting another car if it does pass.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#3New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:25:50
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#4New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:26:59
@JuanSmith Said

"-- The Obama administration is considering a plan that would require the study and execution of a plan to tax U.S. drivers based on the amount of miles they drive.

The plan is included in the administration's Transportation Opportunities Act and follows a Congressional Budget Office report backing the idea of taxing drivers based on miles driven

Read more: https://www.upi.com/Business_News/2011/05/05/Mileage-based-tax-under-consideration/UPI-45841304624393/#ixzz1LWULkaTB
" Mileage-based Tax Under Consideration

So the gov't is considering taxing drivers based on milage to supplement the gas tax. They're saying that since cars are getting fuel efficient, they're not getting enough money.
Seems like the American people won't save money no matter what they do.
Before anyone freaks, it's not legislation yet. It's just in talks to see if it's viable. So if you drive a fuel-inefficient car, you're boned.
the only way I think they would be able to tax this would be through the DMV in registration renewals..
these tracking devices..... or whatever.. to me seem like an invasion of freedom and privacy..
Either way.. I seriously doubt this will pass.
I know I'll be writing my Congressmen expressing my complete and utter disapproval on this.

thoughts?

This kind of thing would never fly with voters. Let's hope that our representatives will listen to them enough on this.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:28:08
This would be a good idea in places that have good public transport systems, anywhere else it's a bit unfair.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#6New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:28:25
@plebian_angel Said

Didn't we discuss this a few months ago? I think it's something that comes up from time to time and never passes. I think it's a ridiculous idea.
Makes me glad I'm not getting another car if it does pass.

not sure.. I wasn't around..

I stumbled upon this article after it was posted today.

I think it's a horrible Idea...
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#7New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:29:02
@SparklyKatie Said

This would be a good idea in places that have good public transport systems, anywhere else it's a bit unfair.

The majority of the US has horrible public transport.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#8New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:30:09
@SparklyKatie Said

If you want less cars on the road, I suppose so. But the real motive is to get more tax money to come in to offset the declining tax revenue from fuel efficient cars.

This, to me, is not good no matter how you look at it. They would just find another way to fill the revenue if everyone switched to mass transport.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#9New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:30:17
@JuanSmith Said

not sure.. I wasn't around..

I stumbled upon this article after it was posted today.

I think it's a horrible Idea...

Yeah I know, just meant it wasn't the first time this idea has come around and hopefully it goes nowhere like before. It's just another way to tax the middle class.
\m//O_O\\m/

#10New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:30:27
@plebian_angel Said

The majority of the US has horrible public transport.

Yeah so people tell me. Good idea in big cities I think, not so much in rural areas.
\m//O_O\\m/

#11New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:31:11
@Leon Said

If you want less cars on the road, I suppose so. But the real motive is to get more tax money to come in to offset the declining tax revenue from fuel efficient cars.

This, to me, is not good for taxpayers no matter how you look at it.

I just don't see the point in driving a car in a city with public transport networks, sorry.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#12New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:31:50
@SparklyKatie Said

Yeah so people tell me. Good idea in big cities I think, not so much in rural areas.

But people commute to big cities to work. So they have to travel by car to get to work, so even in big cities, not a good idea.
Americans commute heavily to work and back home. they commute to get into a cheaper housing market/better school systems than where they work.
So no this is a bad idea all around.
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#13New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:32:49
@SparklyKatie Said

I just don't see the point in driving a car in a city with public transport networks, sorry.

Because it's a pain to take all your shopping onto a bus. Like wehre I live, yeah I get by without a car, but it sucks. The bus system makes no sense. It takes me an hour to get home and I live not even five miles away from work.
\m//O_O\\m/

#14New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:33:15
@plebian_angel Said

But people commute to big cities to work. So they have to travel by car to get to work, so even in big cities, not a good idea.
Americans commute heavily to work and back home. they commute to get into a cheaper housing market/better school systems than where they work.
So no this is a bad idea all around.

Spose.

*backs away from thread*

Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#15New Post! May 05, 2011 @ 22:33:15
@SparklyKatie Said

Again the motive behind the legislation would be to keep money coming in. So if everyone switched to mass transport, they would just find another way to tax us to keep it up.

So it is not a good piece of legislation due to the motive behind it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs