Ironically, I need to ask about firearms

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:14:31
So as I'm doing this I'm watching some youtube vids, some informative, some not. Anyways we're doing a class of fire, explosions and firearms and I figured that some extra info would probably not hurt so until I can afford to buy a book on the subject, I was hoping that some of my fellow TFSers could help me out? If it helps I'll say please over and over until my tongue gets stiff.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:17:40
What kind of information do you need?
beatboxer On March 25, 2010

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:18:39
Fire away!
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:19:03
@plebian_angel Said

What kind of information do you need?

Well we haven't covered much. We were doing ammo today so I guess anything you could tell me about that would be good. Or even just basic stuff. I feel kind of behind here cos I never bothered about this stuff before
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:20:23
I have no clue. I hate guns, but just wanted clarification for others who can help.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:21:21
@plebian_angel Said

I have no clue. I hate guns, but just wanted clarification for others who can help.

Ah. Thankies anyways
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#7New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:21:40
Rule #1 about ammo- you can never have too much.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:22:51
@Ellen Said

Rule #1 about ammo- you can never have too much.

In my opinion you can but that's beside th epoint here I guess

Banned

#9New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:25:22
Something else, low velocity bullets tend to do more damage than the high velocity.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#10New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:26:54
It's a pretty big topic...

Very basically, a bullet is actually made of the projectile itself (the tip) and a casing (the jacket) that seals against the bullet and holds a charge of gunpowder. The bottom of the casing has a primer, which sparks.

The casing has a lip on the bottom end. In a gun, the bullet is loaded into the breach, which holds the casing in place by the lip. The hammer strikes the bottom end of the bullet, making the primer spark and igniting the gunpowder. The resulting explosion blows the bullet itself out of the barrel.

In general, the longer the barrel, the longer the expanding gas from the explosion has to push the bullet and the higher the velocity of the bullet. Longer barrels also help to stabilize the bullet path, resulting in more accuracy. Many barrels also have rifling, which are helical grooves carved into the inside which cause the projectile to spin along its axis as it flies, which results in much greater stability and accuracy as well.

After the bullet is fired, the case remains and must be removed from the breach. In automatic or semiautomatic weapons, the casing is generally ejected from the weapon automatically.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:27:04
@Ellen Said

Something else, low velocity bullets tend to do more damage than the high velocity.

That's slightly weird but I guess it makes sense.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:28:16
@jonnythan Said

It's a pretty big topic...

Very basically, a bullet is actually made of the projectile itself (the tip) and a casing (the jacket) that seals against the bullet and holds a charge of gunpowder. The bottom of the casing has a primer, which sparks.

The casing has a lip on the bottom end. In a gun, the bullet is loaded into the breach, which holds the casing in place by the lip. The hammer strikes the bottom end of the bullet, making the primer spark and igniting the gunpowder. The resulting explosion blows the bullet itself out of the barrel.

In general, the longer the barrel, the longer the expanding gas from the explosion has to push the bullet and the higher the velocity of the bullet. Longer barrels also help to stabilize the bullet path, resulting in more accuracy. Many barrels also have rifling, which are helical grooves carved into the inside which cause the projectile to spin along its axis as it flies, which results in much greater stability and accuracy as well.

Thanks Jonnythan. That's pretty much summed up our first two classes. Is it cool if I copy-paste that into a word document to look at from time to time?

Banned

#13New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:29:13
@crazychica Said

That's slightly weird but I guess it makes sense.

You asked for information. I'm giving you the practical kind.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:30:35
@crazychica Said

Thanks Jonnythan. That's pretty much summed up our first two classes. Is it cool if I copy-paste that into a word document to look at from time to time?

Yeah, be my guest.

I'm certainly no firearms expert, but I understand the general mechanics of various types of weaponry. I sometimes trip over the proper terminology a bit, though.
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Oct 19, 2009 @ 19:31:09
@Ellen Said

You asked for information. I'm giving you the practical kind.

Thanks. This will all help, really. Well if I get a job in forensics at Strathclyde then it will. No other crime lab in Scotland takes ballistics anymore Because nearly all of our gun crime is in Glasgow here.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs