The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

How much of the news these days is true?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
In your opinion, do you get more than 50% of your news for social media outlets such as facebook, youtube and/or twitter?
Yes
More like 20%
I rarely pay attention to the news
I do not use social medai outlets for news.
View Results
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#1New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:49:17
I just recently made a twitter account. I thought it was pointless for a long time, then I started liking it but never made the jump over.

Anyways, I finally did and I can say that I love it more than facebook (instantly.)

In my "following" list, I follow a lot of news media outlets and various personalities. I also follow news/political blogs, newspapers and literary magazines.

This got me to thinking...how many of us now hear about various news around the world through twitter or facebook than actually turning on BCC or NBC and watch an hour long telecast?

I'm a biased. I follow CNN but do not follow Fox. So do you think that the news we are receiving, hearing, choosing to consider and give any time to is BIASED as well?

Further, in the news, I tend to follow certain personalities that click to mine. Anderson Cooper is one of them...but he updates his twitter with HIS thoughts. At what point does our opinion really belong to someone else.

Is the news true, false, somewhat true, or an opinion and/or someone else perspective.

This is not to say that we cannot decide for ourselves...but I admit, I do get quite a bit of news from twitter now. There are links to videos, articles that I can follow up on. But I'm choosing what source to get that from as well.

Egypt recently shut down their internet. But many Egyptians are finding ways to update their twitter and face book. That NEWS is their view...how much of it is credible and reliable?

Or does this mean that the news of today is morphing into something else? And if so...what is that?
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:50:54
I hear most my news here TBH. I can't twitter at work so don't see the point of having an acct. I'm rarely online at home.
I think when it comes to news, I would trust firsthand more than the media outlets these days. Most media outlets have their own agenda.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#3New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:54:39
I rely more on watching national news here rather than BBC bias.The news stations are pretty fair and balanced when covering world news as Portugal has a history of neutrality.

Would rather see whats actually going on in our world rather than what Kerry Katona has for breakfast.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#4New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 15:55:28
All my news comes from the BBC website (since the Times went behind the pay wall). As a whole they don't seem as bias as other news outlets (especially the papers)
If I want any spin I tend to go for US news outlets (as for the British ones, the mirrors to left and the mail is crazy (immigrants are taking over the world))
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:00:21
I'm probably about 50/50. I check the BBC website every morning so the big stories there in the morning I tend to find out directly from the news.

Breaking stories or additional ones or subtle ones I never spotted I tend to find out from twitter, but again that is usually from the Guardian or BBC or a news based twitter account.

Very occasionally I'll see people talking on twitter about a news story I didn't spot so I'll be required to google search it.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:10:00
I wouldn't know anything about what was going on in the world or the UK if I didn't have Twitter or Have I Got News For You to tell me what it's about. It's got me more into politics and news as I can stay on the Guardian site for ages by clicking on related links.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#7New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:10:02
I also hear most of my news here. I do watch the local news briefly in the morning but they do what we call the 'happy' news. I guess they don't want to start the day off with heavy stuff.

In addition to that, I occasionally watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report...which I know isn't actually news, but they touch on news subjects which lets me know something is going on. If I want to know more about it, I'll Google it.

I did happen to see some news about Egypt on CNN Saturday because it was on in a McDonald's when we were getting breakfast.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:13:25
FYI...TFS would be considered a social media outlet such as twitter or face book.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#9New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:14:10
@someone_else Said

I also hear most of my news here. I do watch the local news briefly in the morning but they do what we call the 'happy' news. I guess they don't want to start the day off with heavy stuff.

In addition to that, I occasionally watch the Daily Show or the Colbert Report...which I know isn't actually news, but they touch on news subjects which lets me know something is going on. If I want to know more about it, I'll Google it.

I did happen to see some news about Egypt on CNN Saturday because it was on in a McDonald's when we were getting breakfast.

I love you love Colbert. That makes you loveble in my book.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:15:30
@boobagins Said

FYI...TFS would be considered a social media outlet such as twitter or face book.

Who considers it to be a media outlet?,you?.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#11New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:19:11
During the past elections. Myspace broadcasted the presidential debates LIVE on myspce.

Users, could log in and watch the entire debate on there instead of having to watch it on tv. They also had polls, questions, live discussion occurring in time with the debates as they progressed.

This was particular helpful for me as when the debates were going on, I was not at home but I could still watch them on my blackberry. And all I needed was my phone and my space account.

CNN...tends to ask questions to twitter users and addresses them on their various segments.

If you do not get your news from a social media outlet, its still a little biased...as news outlets tend to use social media outlets as their platform to get a general consensus sometimes of what people are thinking.

And that gets televised so it is something that everyday people who do not use social media outlets...still see.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:20:51
@Wellard Said

Who considers it to be a media outlet?,you?.

When I say social media outlet, its basically falls under the category of of a USER platform...where users can bring other users news.

When I said social media outlet in my original post...I group TFS into it.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#13New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 16:26:11
@boobagins Said

When I say social media outlet, its basically falls under the category of of a USER platform...where users can bring other users news.

When I said social media outlet in my original post...I group TFS into it.

TFS COULD be considered a media outlet,it doesn't mean it is though.

When news stations ask the public to txt/email in questions/opinions ect.. they only pick the ones they want to be heard,therefore channeling the flow of news to satisfy them and their opinions.I don't use Twitter but could this be done on there?.
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#14New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 17:21:10
I mostly get my news from my local rag...everything I need to know and is pertainant ant to me is in it,unless I want live coverage of something, then I go to the TV network that is covering it
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#15New Post! Jan 31, 2011 @ 17:24:48
I feel sorry for people that don't watch the news, no matter how much a favor they might think they're doing themselves.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs