How Can People Fear Death

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 01:41:10
So much that they believe in religion? I mean I fear death, to the extent that I have panic attacks weekly about dying. The knowledge that I will not exist, not even be aware of not existing, just completely not be there, be in a state like I was before I was born.

It freaks me out, it scares me, it confuses me, it makes my mind boggle.

I am scared s***less of death. But despite it being by far my biggest fear, worry, even inspiration in life I do not fear it enough to believe in a God, to convince myself there is a way out.

Lets be honest, that is why people follow religion. What does all religion give? The promise of immortality. f***ing hell it's a tempting concept, but can you really imagine deluding yourself because of your fear to believe you can escape mortality? To escape daeth?
acidron On November 26, 2011

a wee country town, Canada
#2New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 01:52:13
Were all dying.....I think alot of people are afraid of how they're gonna die or when. I think that's it's gonna be pretty cool to go there. Both my brothers are there now.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#3New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 01:53:14
I think some people choose a religion because they are afraid of all the immoral crap they've done, too. You know, like guys who "find Jesus" in prison.

I have often wondered how a person who lead a religion-free life could suddenly decide one day to become a Christian. Because being a Christian, or whatever their new-found religion might be, requires actually believing this entire story, in the case of Christianity, of a prophesy of a baby boy being born, the king killing off a bunch of babies to prevent it, said baby being born under a special star that led all these people to the manger he was born in, the baby growing up into a man who claimed to be God's Child, turning water into wine, bread into fish, walking on water, healing the sick with a touch, etc. And all of this is supposed to be believed after having led a life free of any religion. How does one come to suddenly actually and truly believe all that?

I understand the role that religion plays in inspiring people to better themselves, and want to serve humanity, and as a guidebook, it's good (assuming you didn't pay too much attention to Leviticus, lol). But to actually believe, literally, in something you had never believed in before, so specifically, like Jesus, is sort of weird to me.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#4New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 01:58:08
I agree though, the concept of death is mind boggling, but there's some comfort in knowing you'll have now idea you had died. You can't really care then, can you, that you had died?

I can also understand the desire to not want to lose absolutely everything. Like you said, it can and does inspire panic in people, and I think a sense of desperation makes people willing to believe almost anything if they think it'll save them from truly dying.
beber On November 15, 2009

Topeka, Kansas
#5New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 02:11:20
You can't lose everything. Law of conservation and matter. We can only disassociate. Out there somewhere is a C chord waiting for you, love. How do you think the human race progresses? 8) 8)
beber On November 15, 2009

Topeka, Kansas
#6New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 02:11:39
Oooommmmmmzies.
Subjectivity9 On September 28, 2009

madisonville, Tennessee
#7New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 02:15:28
I have no doubt that death plays a big part in why some people become religious.

Some say the 3 major reasons are sickness, old age, and death.

But I bet that just as many people are afraid of life, and her chaotic nature, the whole uncontrolled feeling that one gets in one form or another. We look around and see all of the things that can happen to you if you aren?t lucky.

"There but for the grace of God go I."

Or just imagine living life without any meaning. All of the pain and burden of living without any gain or possibility of improvement.

But mostly it has been my experience that we are trying to fill that empty hole that we feel at our center.

There are many metaphysical explanations on what this feeling of emptiness actually is and how to deal with it.

Religion is just the first baby steps in that direction.

Subjectivity9
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 02:57:52
I don't fear death, but I don't embrace it either.
I don't yearn for it, I don't look forward to it.
I seek God, and believe in God, because believing gives me comfort. If you love nature, and babies, and the seasons you have to believe in a Higher Power. To deny that is
unfathomable. imho 8) 8) 8)
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#9New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 03:53:18
I thought it was the other way around.

People in religion wouldn't fear death because there so sure there going to heaven anyways.

I know because of my non-religious beliefs I don't fear death at all.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#10New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 04:05:26
Equally so, because of their religios/christian beliefs, many believers don't fear death at all either. When our work on earth is done, then we are reborn - and if we are 'saved' and are 'right with God" we go to a better place, to be with any loved ones who may have passed away before us. 8) 8) 8) 8)
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#11New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 04:27:13
Oh Man, I am so looking forward to my death. Incidentally I want to go out in the biggest fiery way possible. The bigger the better. After all, it's going to be my last act here on Earth, so it might as well be spectacular.

I believe that I've lived a pretty complete life already. If I were to die tonight, I'd shake St. Peter's hand and thank him for all that I've experienced. I'd feel that I got a pretty good deal (this time) and have absolutely no regrets or misgivings whatsoever.

I see death as a part of life. It doesn't have any requirements other than you need to be there. We all need to die for us to get to the next level of our Spirituality. That's when the real fun begins.

J.R.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#12New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 10:52:37
@arcades Said

I thought it was the other way around.

People in religion wouldn't fear death because there so sure there going to heaven anyways.

I think thats the point, thats why religion is so popular as it gives people false hope into thinking they are going to escape death.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#13New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 10:58:39
@jmo Said

So much that they believe in religion? I mean I fear death, to the extent that I have panic attacks weekly about dying.

WOAH! STOP RIGHT THERE. Looks like you just answered your own question....they beleive in religion so they wont have the same panic attacks...they beleive that they will go to a better place if they are good....so it takes away some of the fear.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

#14New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 11:06:45
@Coleosis Said

WOAH! STOP RIGHT THERE. Looks like you just answered your own question....they beleive in religion so they wont have the same panic attacks...they beleive that they will go to a better place if they are good....so it takes away some of the fear.

It seems so delusional to me though. I'd rather be scared s***less of death but live my life than convince myself there is a way out.
Coleosis On December 01, 2013
Don't care

Mustang, Oklahoma
#15New Post! Sep 12, 2009 @ 11:12:44
@jmo Said

It seems so delusional to me though. I'd rather be scared s***less of death but live my life than convince myself there is a way out.

And they would rather live a happy life with one less thing to worry about...to each their own. Besides...religions have some pretty convincing points...So does athiesm...No one knows for sure.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs