Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

From comics to classics: Making the most of your reading time

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
michaelsmith On December 27, 2013

, Marshall Islands
#1New Post! Feb 22, 2008 @ 11:41:54
IN recent years, manga, or Japanese comics, has become more and more popular with students all over the world. We are drawn in by the interesting stories and drawings. Although it??s easy to get caught up in an exciting comic book, we should remember that there are other books that are just as exciting and interesting to read.
Sit back and relax
Sitting down to read a comic book can be a great way to relax. It??s always wonderful when you??re able to lose yourself in a story and forget about all of your worries. When we read manga we can become part of a world that is nothing like our own. We can get excited by the ways that manga allows us to explore in our imaginations without leaving our own homes.
Old doesn??t equal outdated
Although reading manga can be very interesting, we need to remember that it??s important to read traditional Chinese and western literature as well. Manga is not the only form of writing that we can lose ourselves in. Classic novels have stood the test of time and shouldn??t be ignored by us today. When we read traditional literature, we learn about history and the lives of people who lived hundreds of years ago. Just because a book is old doesn??t mean the story is not important anymore. There are many lessons in classic novels that are still as important today as they were when they were written. Tolerance, justice, and love are all themes that are just as important today as they were a hundred years ago.
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 22, 2008 @ 13:48:23
@michaelsmith Said
IN recent years, manga, or Japanese comics, has become more and more popular with students all over the world

Prove it. I'm a student and I don't know anyone who reads comics full stop.

alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Feb 22, 2008 @ 14:33:46
i love certain comics,
i think all the cliched super hero comics and big breasted manga kind of cheapen the literary importance of comics.

some are amazing and i respect the creators as much as any of my favorite authors.
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 09, 2012 @ 22:35:54
I agree with Michael Smith who wrote:"Tolerance, justice, and love are all themes that are just as important today as they were a hundred years ago."
That was in February 2008.
But this world is still dominated by confrontation and too little collaboration incorporating these basic values.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 09, 2012 @ 22:45:06
I read a lot of comics, but most of them are web based. I try to keep up to date with the Buffy/Angel ones but I don't treat them as canon so I'm not diehard about it. The Serenity ones are excellent though.

But then I'm also working my way through Jane Austen's back catalogue as well, so I like mixing it up.

I don't think it matters what you read as long as you do actually read.
alex_simms On April 30, 2020

Glastonbury, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 10, 2012 @ 06:35:36
In my teens when I had to read many classics, like d***ens, I found thebooks too laborious, so started reading a seried called "Classics Illustrated", the classics in comic-book form.
Well worth a google.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs