The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Do you think some people want to be homeless?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 14:40:50
Well this just goes to show how naive I am, I'd have never thought that anyone would want to be homeless by choice! Of course I realise people have terrible home lives and have to get away from them, but in that situation I'm sure they don't WANT to live on the street, it's just that they have no other choice. As for people who have addictions, I'm sure they haven't chosen to be homeless either and it's just circumstances that have forced it. I can see the appeal of living out of a van or something, just on the open road with no mortgage/rent etc but in my own head I class that as a different kind of homeless to those living on the streets and have no choice about it.

There's a couple of homeless regulars on our high street nearby and there's one who always just looks so withdrawn and completely sad and I always feel so sorry for him and think how lucky I am to be going home to my nice, warm flat that I feel kinda guilty about it. I definitely don't think he's there by choice but it's made me think twice about some of the others out there...

As for the begging issue I agree with wellard - my boyfriend works for a company that works for several charities, one of them is a homeless charity and before working on each different charity they get training in each one, when he worked on the homeless charity the first thing he was told is that it is usually just junkies that beg for money that they will inevitably spend on drugs...it's the quieter people who don't beg - like the guy I mentioned before that people should think about, I won't give my money to beggars that are blatantly on drugs as I am worried I will be contributing to their addiction, my money could be what goes toward them having an overdose, but I will give my money to the others when I have any to spare.

I think either way if either you are forced to be homeless because of financial issues or the illness of addiction or you choose to live on the street because your life is so bad otherwise (and again I don't mean like living like a traveller, if you have a roof over your head, warmth and food I feel that's different to actually living on the streets), it's not really a choice of sorts it's just that you have no other choice. Call me naive but I think it's terribly sad for anyone is any of those situations and no one should be judged of what got them there, we all make mistakes.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 14:43:24
@floydgirrl Said

What about the people who get pregnant to live off welfare or lie about their circumstances. I think that is more ripping off the people and the govt, than some guy wanting some soup.

I was going to say this. I agree completely.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#18New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 15:31:51
Maybe some just love the wilderness and don't want to be in the company of people.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#19New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 17:29:52
For most of the time I was homeless, it was because I wanted to be. I was happy to spend time being homeless. It was kind of cruisey, no major hassles, and I only owned what I could carry. It taught me a lot, apart from my guitars, I don't take possessions overly seriously these days Although, it was also inconvenient sometimes... summer could get a bit whiffy, and winter was just bloody cold, but I had fun too.

I didn't beg for money or go to soup kitchens. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with people doing that, soup is not overly expensive... it just wasn't my thing.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#20New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 17:37:16
@Kristy69 Said

My mom brings it up a lot that she believes some people like the homeless lifestyle and don't have the desire to be a "productive member of society".

I guess I can udnerstand that, but if that's the case, is it okay for them to ask for money or go to soup kitchens?
I feel like that's ripping off the people who didn't chose that lifestyle.

I know for a fact that some people want to remain "homeless". I offered a room for a homeless associate of mine and he declined. I was homeless twice and both times it seemed like a hopeless situation. You actually need some help to break the cycle. I carry granola bars in my car and when I see someone panhandling on a freeway exit, I give them a granola bar.

J.R.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#21New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 17:46:50
@jr_sanford Said
I carry granola bars in my car and when I see someone panhandling on a freeway exit, I give them a granola bar.

That's a good idea. Do they take it or have they ever declined? I often get stuck at red lights with panhandlers asking for help. It's awkward it'd be nice to give them something. It's usually the same people too. Though they rotate (they have a schedule and are organized here).
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#22New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 18:09:34
@floydgirrl Said

That's a good idea. Do they take it or have they ever declined? I often get stuck at red lights with panhandlers asking for help. It's awkward it'd be nice to give them something. It's usually the same people too. Though they rotate (they have a schedule and are organized here).

My husband once tried to give food to a guy who was panhandling. The guy said "If I bring anymore food home, my wife is gonna kill me."
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#23New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 18:10:30
@someone_else Said

My husband once tried to give food to a guy who was panhandling. The guy said "If I bring anymore food home, my wife is gonna kill me."

josejr46 On April 07, 2011

Somerset, Texas
#24New Post! Jan 03, 2011 @ 18:38:21
Being homeless is a job it's hard trying not to work and still get benfits from others
Moxie On July 26, 2014

San Diego, California
#25New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 00:21:48
I don't believe it is the government's job to take care of the homeless; it's a job for the private sector: churches, charities, and individuals.

Instead of money, I can give the homeless non-perishable food, socks, travel-size toiletries, a grocery store gift card or phone card, written directions to local shelters and kitchens, a blanket, etc.. Doesn't have to be brand-new. Could be from a thrift shop.

Some homeless junkies, prostitutes, etc. turn their lives around because church and charity homeless outreach volunteers give them much-needed encouragement, support and direction.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 00:32:58
@Moxie Said

I don't believe it is the government's job to take care of the homeless; it's a job for the private sector: churches, charities, and individuals.

Instead of money, I can give the homeless non-perishable food, socks, travel-size toiletries, a grocery store gift card or phone card, written directions to local shelters and kitchens, a blanket, etc.. Doesn't have to be brand-new. Could be from a thrift shop.

Some homeless junkies, prostitutes, etc. turn their lives around because church and charity homeless outreach volunteers give them much-needed encouragement, support and direction.

If private charity worked so well then there wouldn't still be homeless people. The only thing that works with getting rid of homelessness is government intervention.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#27New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 00:33:06
Being homeless is the s***. But then comes all the headache with surviving.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#28New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 00:33:48
Not sure about people wanting to be homeless but I know of many people who just do not want to work and like to live off the government.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#29New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 01:04:03
@Kristy69 Said

My mom brings it up a lot that she believes some people like the homeless lifestyle and don't have the desire to be a "productive member of society".

I guess I can udnerstand that, but if that's the case, is it okay for them to ask for money or go to soup kitchens?
I feel like that's ripping off the people who didn't chose that lifestyle.

Most homeless people are homeless because they suffer from mental illness and cannot competently cope in a currency-driven world.

More research and funding needs to be alloted towards relieving MI or simple jobs reserved aside for those inflicted with MI.

I know the majority tend to say "Oh he's nuts, let him die alone next to a dumpster." but it's pretty much similar to taking the same attitude towards a personal whom is intellectually disabled.

Their humans in situations that you wouldn't even want to be in your nightmares and as humans there should be some humane way of either fixing their problem or establishing a system that they can use to help themselves with.

I mean, do you really need that shopping cart pushing job? Why not try for something more clever that pays better and leave that slot open for people whom are less keen.
Moxie On July 26, 2014

San Diego, California
#30New Post! Jan 09, 2011 @ 04:45:22
@jmo Said

If private charity worked so well then there wouldn't still be homeless people. The only thing that works with getting rid of homelessness is government intervention.

And if government worked as well as you claim it does, there wouldn't be homeless people.

If government indeed "cures" homelessness, I will believe it when I see it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs