The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Do you think parents are losing control of there kids or do you think parents just cant be bothered pulling them up?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
rosexthorn On July 30, 2022

Winnipeg, Canada
#61New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 17:23:04
@DorkySupergirl Said

God forgive me but I get in moods and I already have no patience as it is and when I am in a mood and go out and see some kid going on and on and the mom just standing there laughing at it or not doing a thing about it, I comment on it. I often feel so bad after. I have commented before to please get your brat under control, if your kid can't behave, do not take him out in public. Now this only happens when the kids are being really bad and when no one cares. Like the kid who pulled the hair, the other kid who was taking stuff out of my shopping crt or the kid who kept almost hitting me with golf balls as mom looked on and thought it was fine. I get so irked. I comment.

I once hit a kid with my shopping cart. I asked three times to please, an you get your child out of the way as the kid was running up and down the middle of the aisle. The mom did nothing so I told her, if you do not get your kid out of the way, I am passing with my cart anyways. I did and as I was moving my cart, the kid kept running at me and got hit. I did not on purpose hit him or anything but what was I suppose to do. I stood there waiting a good two minutes and asked nice three freaking times to move your kid.

I've had some stare downs with some kids in shopping centers. They never won and never will. I just keep staring until they get scared of the mean, crazy old lady.. Or, some of them wait for me to get out of their way and I just keep walking and bump right into them like they weren't there and when they cried to their parents I'd say, look they weren't moving and I thought they were mannequins which gets them laughing then giving their children proper s***.
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#62New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 17:46:47
While I can't speak for past generations, I have definitely noticed an extreme decline in parenting... Is it the reason, EVERY TIME, for a child acting up, in public or otherwise? No, kids are kids, and kids will BE kids.
Personal example: My three year old is normally VERY well behaved and has great manners, I have actually been complimented on this.
A few weeks ago, he was just ON ONE. Tired? Maybe. Just in a mood? DEFINITELY. Everything he saw, he informed me he NEEDED, and when I said 'no,' he'd start whining about it. It escalated from there... I was in the party section, shopping for kiddie gifts and he saw a package of motorcycles that he just had to have. O.M.G. I didn't tell him 'no,' I told him we'd get him a better one when we went to the toy section, IF he was a good boy... He went OFF! Screaming, crying, yelling at me. If it hadn't been last minute shopping, I would've left. I hoped for the old "out of sight, out mind" magic that is a toddler's mind at times, and it worked... he calmed down when I went to a different section.
Am I a bad parent because my kid acted up ONCE? I'm thinking some people in the store at the time probably would answer "yes." But anyone who knows me, knows it isn't true.

EDIT: I might add, that my son got NOTHING at the store that day. Everything that was in the cart for him already, went BACK. And he didn't get to ride the Mickey Mouse car when we were done. Momma means BUSINESS.

Winnipeg, Canada
#63New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 18:47:34
@jorie_13 Said

While I can't speak for past generations, I have definitely noticed an extreme decline in parenting... Is it the reason, EVERY TIME, for a child acting up, in public or otherwise? No, kids are kids, and kids will BE kids.
Personal example: My three year old is normally VERY well behaved and has great manners, I have actually been complimented on this.
A few weeks ago, he was just ON ONE. Tired? Maybe. Just in a mood? DEFINITELY. Everything he saw, he informed me he NEEDED, and when I said 'no,' he'd start whining about it. It escalated from there... I was in the party section, shopping for kiddie gifts and he saw a package of motorcycles that he just had to have. O.M.G. I didn't tell him 'no,' I told him we'd get him a better one when we went to the toy section, IF he was a good boy... He went OFF! Screaming, crying, yelling at me. If it hadn't been last minute shopping, I would've left. I hoped for the old "out of sight, out mind" magic that is a toddler's mind at times, and it worked... he calmed down when I went to a different section.
Am I a bad parent because my kid acted up ONCE? I'm thinking some people in the store at the time probably would answer "yes." But anyone who knows me, knows it isn't true.

EDIT: I might add, that my son got NOTHING at the store that day. Everything that was in the cart for him already, went BACK. And he didn't get to ride the Mickey Mouse car when we were done. Momma means BUSINESS.

This^^^ is what I call good parenting. We know our children the best and can play any game at anytime the child wants to play except that as the parent we know many more ways to play that game and win in the end.. Well played..
JorieJukebox On April 24, 2024

Right Here, Not There,
#64New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 18:59:36
@rosexthorn Said

This^^^ is what I call good parenting. We know our children the best and can play any game at anytime the child wants to play except that as the parent we know many more ways to play that game and win in the end.. Well played..

I've always told both my boys, 3 and 13, when they try me, "Don't bother, son, because MOMMA ALWAYS WINS."
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#65New Post! Sep 11, 2012 @ 19:08:35
@jorie_13 Said

I've always told both my boys, 3 and 13, when they try me, "Don't bother, son, because MOMMA ALWAYS WINS."

All my mom had to do was give me the look and let me tell you, I stop whatever it was I was doing that made her give me that look.

Winnipeg, Canada
#66New Post! Sep 12, 2012 @ 12:48:52
@jorie_13 Said

My 2 adult children knew the same thing when they were young. Momma meant business and wasn't no fool..
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#67New Post! Sep 12, 2012 @ 13:34:27
My mother never took us out of the house without having two things in her purse..

She always had mallowmars, and she always had her big blue comb.

If we were being basically good but were starting to get bored and fidgety, she'd pull out a mallowmar an we'd be entertained peeling the chocolate off, and licking the marshmallow off, and finding a place to stash the crummy graham cracker part..

If we decided to throw a tantrum, she could take us by the hand, walk us to the car, and give us a smack on the but with the big blue comb.

We quickly learned that good behavior was chocolaty and gooey, and bad behavior was going to sting.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#68New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 15:31:00
@Tar Said

Pathetic... to say "please" to a child? Since when should a parent beg a child to behave? This parent is clearly a moron.

I say please all the time to my kid, and he seems to be okay.

, Canada
#69New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 15:51:05
So I have a question for all parents who have posted. When your child misbehaves in public and is throwing a tantrum, whatever your parenting technique is, if it does not work and your child continues being disruptive in public say at the mall or a restaurant and you can tell its bothering those around you, do you keep eating or shopping or do you take your child and leave?
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#70New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 21:47:41
@DorkySupergirl Said

So I have a question for all parents who have posted. When your child misbehaves in public and is throwing a tantrum, whatever your parenting technique is, if it does not work and your child continues being disruptive in public say at the mall or a restaurant and you can tell its bothering those around you, do you keep eating or shopping or do you take your child and leave?

The few times that one of the kids did not listen, if we were eating, I would take the child and leave the area, then return when they had quieted down.

I've left my shopping cart and walked out of the store if the kids started acting up and would not stop. It only happened once with my oldest and youngest children(my middle child never acted up in stores). They learned the first time that when I say "Behave or we leave right now and I will come back without you." I truly meant it.

I make sure to remove mychild from the situation BEFORE it gets to the point of annoying others.

, Canada
#71New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 21:59:39
@Dark_Tink Said

The few times that one of the kids did not listen, if we were eating, I would take the child and leave the area, then return when they had quieted down.

I've left my shopping cart and walked out of the store if the kids started acting up and would not stop. It only happened once with my oldest and youngest children(my middle child never acted up in stores). They learned the first time that when I say "Behave or we leave right now and I will come back without you." I truly meant it.

I make sure to remove mychild from the situation BEFORE it gets to the point of annoying others.

Thank you for answering. I have no kids but what is what me and my friend do when she has her baby out and her baby cries and will not stop. But I have seen parents just stay and eat or continue to shop and I see that as very wrong. So I was wondering what others did because its not common to see a parent take their child out of the situation but think its up to me to tolerate it.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#72New Post! Sep 13, 2012 @ 22:23:33
@DorkySupergirl Said

Thank you for answering. I have no kids but what is what me and my friend do when she has her baby out and her baby cries and will not stop. But I have seen parents just stay and eat or continue to shop and I see that as very wrong. So I was wondering what others did because its not common to see a parent take their child out of the situation but think its up to me to tolerate it.

Yeah, others shouldn't have to put up with a child that cannot be properly taken care of by their parent(s). You are there, paying good money for a meal and didn't go for a spectacle.

When mine were babies, I wouldn't leave with the child right away, but I wouldn't stay put if they were really upset. With babies, the parents have to be given some leeway, but still shouldn't expect strangers to put up with a screaming baby.

We never went to 'nice restaurants' when the kids were babies, since they normally don't stay quiet for very long and the are not the most comfy places to breastfeed in(seating, not stares from asshats).

Even now, with our youngest at 5yr old, we know what restaurants to take him to and what ones not to, due to his attention span. Not because we have gone to one and he acted up, but because we KNOW HIM and what he is like.

If only more parents did so.

I've been at McDonald's and have told kids that I have never met before to stop doing certain things because they were about to hurt other kids. Where were their parents?? On the other side of the place chatting away and not watching their kids.

One time, this girl about 7yr old, was pulling on the playroom door and almost caught a few kids fingers. I told her to get off the door and go play. She goes to her parents...who were there in the playroom but NOT PAYING ATTENTION one bit! Once she tells them what I said, they look towards me and get ready to say something. I glare at them, just waiting to see what excuse/reasoning they have. Nothing is said once they see my glare.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#73New Post! Sep 17, 2012 @ 18:12:05
@chisa96 Said

I say please all the time to my kid, and he seems to be okay.

You do it to express the habit of showing humility, or at least that is what I assume (yes, I'm making an assumption... shoot me ), but to say please as in begging a child to not throw a tantrum? That's quite far off the mark as the appropriate power balance between child and adult
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs