Differences Between the British and American Cultures

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...11 12 13 · >>
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:14:24
@JapGrl_Mika Said

I've been living in the U.S. for almost 5 years now. I wouldnt say most americans are conservative. For example..they're very open about the use of marijuana (those who use it, anyway) Where I live its almost close to being decriminalized..where as in britain it's illegal.

You'd be surprised how open some parts of Britain are with that though It may be illegal but it doesn't stop a lot of people.

London, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:16:12
@plebian_angel Said

I got one. School uniforms. I never had to wear a uniform. I know some private schools here require them, but I went to public school and wore tshirts and jeans.

Really?
Lucky, the uniforms at comprehensives over here are usually vile. The private school uniform looks a lot better but I guess it's more restrictive.

We're not allowed to wear non-uniform at most of our schools until sixth form or college.

London, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:17:27
@foosyerdoos Said

Americans seem to put religion way higher up the list of priorities than the average Brit?

Possibly. Maybe they're just more vocal about their beliefs than we are over here though?
bella_vita On September 23, 2010

Deleted

All over,
#19New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:17:39
@annski729 Said

Peanut butter is disgusting.

I've noticed people from the UK call strangers things like "honey," "sweetie," etc. a lot more frequently than I've ever noticed over here.

Clearly, you don't live in the south Everyone is honey, darlin, sweetie, babe, etc. down here.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#20New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:18:08
@sister_of_mercy Said

Really?
Lucky, the uniforms at comprehensives over here are usually vile. The private school uniform looks a lot better but I guess it's more restrictive.

We're not allowed to wear non-uniform at most of our schools until sixth form or college.

Yeah. The thought of uniforms makes me shudder tbh
JapGrl_Mika On August 22, 2010

Deleted

Pac Northwest, Washington
#21New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:21:06
@sister_of_mercy Said

You'd be surprised how open some parts of Britain are with that though It may be illegal but it doesn't stop a lot of people.

Well for now you can only it get it medically from a doctor. Once if and when it ever becomes legal here, you can bet other foreign countries would be intrigued by this and maybe even follow suit.

Deleted

#22New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:23:23
Why is it every time I think about British people Austin Powers comes to mind?

London, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:25:30
@JapGrl_Mika Said

Why is it every time I think about British people Austin Powers comes to mind?

Yeah we're all pretty much like that

Deleted

#24New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:27:53
Americans sound so much more different too. but yet some are very similar in the differences of speech. Of course I sound "funny" to western people since I am from japan.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#25New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:31:57
@JapGrl_Mika Said

Where I live its almost close to being decriminalized..where as in britain it's illegal.

So it's still illegal then

It was reduced from class B to class C a few years ago but it has been moved back to class B.As for drugs in the UK you get far lighter sentences for possession or dealing than in the US,even though Cannabis is still illegal if you get caught with a small amount for personal use chances are the police will turn a blind eye.

Deleted

#26New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:34:05
@Wellard Said

So it's still illegal then

Well I got a medical card so I have no trouble getting it legally through a dispensary that's handled..You can't get it unless you're approved by a doctor (most pretty much will approve it though, anyway) I havn't had any problems. you just say "Hey doc, my back hurts, you got anything that can fix it?" *wink* haha
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#27New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:37:35
@bella_vita Said

Clearly, you don't live in the south Everyone is honey, darlin, sweetie, babe, etc. down here.

Oh. Hm. Never thought about that Clearly I don't
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#28New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:38:55
@JapGrl_Mika Said

Well I got a medical card so I have no trouble getting it legally through a dispensary that's handled..You can't get it unless you're approved by a doctor (most pretty much will approve it though, anyway) I havn't had any problems. you just say "Hey doc, my back hurts, you got anything that can fix it?" *wink* haha

I'm not too sure how the medicinal prescriptions work in the UK now but my mates mother used to get prescribed a Cannabis spray thingy.

Deleted

#29New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:40:01
@Wellard Said
As for drugs in the UK you get far lighter sentences for possession or dealing than in the US

The feds arn't allowed to raid these medical marijuana dispensaries at all, period card holders are protected from that. But if you dont have the card.. Let's say you get caught with $200 or the equivelent of around an ounce of weed they just write you up for a fine. but if you got drugs like meth or cocaine that are considered more illicit than that's a different story.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 21:48:13
@annski729 Said

Peanut butter is disgusting.

I've noticed people from the UK call strangers things like "honey," "sweetie," etc. a lot more frequently than I've ever noticed over here.

Really? I always thought they were more an American thing - honey, sweetie, sugar etc. Over here its more like 'duck' and 'mate'

I always think Americans tend to be quite fluffy and idealistic. Like the programmes for disabled children, or self help stuff - all, life is a gift, anything is possible. But I suppose they're the ones with something to sell
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...11 12 13 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs