Democracy is not Majorocracy

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:12:43
Democracy means the rule of the demos, a Greek word meaning 'the people'. It is the rule of the people. Majorocracy is (as far as I am aware) a term coined by the English political philosopher John Stuart Mill. Majorocracy simply means the rule of the majority. What is the difference?

In any good democracy, the laws are not simply the whims of the majority. Whoever has the greatest strength of votes and therefore the loudest voice does not simply drown out the rest; the minorities are part of the people, so they are represented also. This can't be achieved by simply allowing the majority of voters to decide policy. The rights of individuals and minorities must be protected by principles which are not up for vote.

Election is not enough; for real democracy, there needs to be constitutionally enshrined rights for individuals. Without this, the majority become tyrants.

It's easy to forget or ignore what democracy really means, and just think of it as the rule of the majority, but majorocracy is not democratic in the slightest.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:14:46
Which county in the world is, by official definition, a democracy?
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:16:16
@davii Said

I'd say the US is a pretty good example of a democracy.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#4New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:17:38
@buffalobill90 Said

Actually, we're only a true Democracy on the local level. Our Federal government is a constitutional republic.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:17:56
@buffalobill90 Said

The USA is a Federal Republic, not a democracy.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:19:56
@davii Said

I don't know, but the ones that feel the need to have "Democratic" in the official name of the country definitely aren't.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:20:08
@boxerdc Said

Actually, we're only a true Democracy on the local level. Our Federal government is a constitutional republic.

Unfortunately the US has a fair bit of majorocracy. The citizens themselves have to do a good deal of leg-work to get their constitutional rights recognised at a local level. The treatment of ethnic minorities and homosexuals, for example, is not particularly democratic.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:20:37
@boxerdc Said

@davii Said

The USA is a Federal Republic, not a democracy.

And I stand corrected.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:21:14
@TheMightyOz Said

I don't know, but the ones that feel the need to have "Democratic" in the oficial name of the country definitely aren't.

Often very true.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#10New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:23:49
@buffalobill90 Said

Unfortunately the US has a fair bit of majorocracy. The citizens themselves have to do a good deal of leg-work to get their constitutional rights recognised at a local level. The treatment of ethnic minorities and homosexuals, for example, is not particularly democratic.

At a local level, minorities and gays have far more rights than at the federal level. Tim and I could get married right now in DC, and our marriage would be recongnized in our city in Maryland, and by our state government, but not by the Feds..

Equal rights has become a sort of "trickle up" mentality.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:26:09
@boxerdc Said

At a local level, minorities and gays have far more rights than at the federal level. Tim and I could get married right now in DC, and our marriage would be recongnized in our city in Maryland, and by our state government, but not by the Feds..

Equal rights has become a sort of "trickle up" mentality.

Oh well, I would have thought it was the other way around.
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:28:20
@TheMightyOz Said

I don't know, but the ones that feel the need to have "Democratic" in the official name of the country definitely aren't.

Africa springs to mind there...

Obviously, I've split hairs here somewhat and I assume the discussion is more about democratic means than purist democracy.

That wasn't truely intentional to the opening poster's thoughts and ideas
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#13New Post! Sep 13, 2010 @ 20:34:26
@davii Said

@buffalobill90 Said

The closest thing to a democracy in today's world is the one represented by the Italian government. Every official on the ballot receives a certain percentage of jurisdiction over the issues to be voted on. No one 'loses' per se. Each just wins a little less (or more) than the other.

For example, say Bill, Davii, and I were on the same ballot. If Davii recieved 50% of the votes his voice would be worth 30% more than say Bill who received 20% of all the votes. If I got 30% of all the votes, then my voice wouldn't be as significant as Davii's, but more consequential than Bill's. So the order of the power would be Davii, myself, and then Bill. So if I want to get something done for my voters, the name of the game is persuasion (or at times bribery and blackmail). If I can get Bill to side with me on an issue that we agree on then we can level out the playing field in our favor. But if Davii and Bill both agree on an issue then I have absolutely no chance because I'd only have 30% against their 70%.

It's a more direct representation of Democracy but, as you can imagine, it's highly unstable and corruption and greed run rampant in such a model, in most other political models as well.