Cake toppings for someone that doesn't like icing

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#1New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 18:40:35
I'm looking for different toppings I can put on cake that are light and not too sweet other than fruit.

I dislike heavy toppings, disliking most frostings/icing, not a fan of ice cream, don't want chocolate, and also don't like whip cream.

What I want is something creamy, that doesn't harden (i.e. remains liquid).

Any suggestions?
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#2New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 18:50:26
I remember once, when I was a kid, my mother made a chocolate cake, and covered it with a peanut-butter frosting.

You could do the same, even use Splenda to limit the sugar...

And in Europe they often will create a cream, or sauce-topping.... and use that on fruit-topped short-cake and the like... Look in your grocery aisles for products from Dr. Oetker....

See here.

Another alternative would be to use some Eier-Liqueur, right out of the bottle! It was always great on ice-cream, but I can imagine that it would go well on a nice piece of cake, too!
A receipe for making your own!
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#3New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 18:52:27
Strawberries, in sweetened juice is delicious; maybe with a lite whipped cream too? Also, either preserves or jelly is suprisingly delicious as well!
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#4New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 18:54:44
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

I remember once, when I was a kid, my mother made a chocolate cake, and covered it with a peanut-butter frosting.

You could do the same, even use Splenda to limit the sugar...

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Peanut butter seems heavy, and frosting to me sounds thick. It's not that I need it to be not too sweet or heavy, I just don't like it. I hate heavy thick frosting and usually scrape it off before I eat cake.

The only times I really enjoy cake with frosting is with a liquid cream mixture on top that never hardens. I use to have a recipe for a white cream mixture but lost it so now i'm on the look out for similar things.
Part-time Nidologist

#5New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 18:59:06
@boobagins Said

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Peanut butter seems heavy, and frosting to me sounds thick. It's not that I need it to be not too sweet or heavy, I just don't like it. I hate heavy thick frosting and usually scrape it off before I eat cake.

The only times I really enjoy cake with frosting is with a liquid cream mixture on top that never hardens. I use to have a recipe for a white cream mixture but lost it so now i'm on the look out for similar things.

Go back and examine the alternatives posted....
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#6New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:02:31
@sTreetAngeL Said

Strawberries, in sweetened juice is delicious; maybe with a lite whipped cream too? Also, either preserves or jelly is suprisingly delicious as well!

@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Go back and examine the alternatives posted....

I know. I'm picky in this, but then again, it's not like I can't eat cake with heavy frosting or things, it's just that I don't enjoy it and am looking for liquid topping recipes.

As far as the alternatives... as I said in my op, not looking fruit or fruit toppings and I dislike whip cream. Didn't want to point out the obviousness of that post. I've used fruit for a while now, getting tired of it and looking for alternatives.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:12:26
Lemon or citrus sauce like you put on gingerbread.
TheMuse On February 15, 2016

#8New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:15:08
@boobagins Said

I'm looking for different toppings I can put on cake that are light and not too sweet other than fruit.

I dislike heavy toppings, disliking most frostings/icing, not a fan of ice cream, don't want chocolate, and also don't like whip cream.

What I want is something creamy, that doesn't harden (i.e. remains liquid).

Any suggestions?

how about cream cheese and marshmallow cream mix you can add or subtract the marshmallow cream depending on how sweet you want it
Part-time Nidologist

#9New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:27:42
@boobagins Said

I know. I'm picky in this, but then again, it's not like I can't eat cake with heavy frosting or things, it's just that I don't enjoy it and am looking for liquid topping recipes.

As far as the alternatives... as I said in my op, not looking fruit or fruit toppings and I dislike whip cream. Didn't want to point out the obviousness of that post. I've used fruit for a while now, getting tired of it and looking for alternatives.

Where, in my alternatives, have I mentioned fruit-toppings or whipped cream?? I often get tired too, of having to tell people to go back and read....
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:30:13
@sAeGeSpAeNe Said

Where, in my alternatives, have I mentioned fruit-toppings or whipped cream?? I often get tired too, of having to tell people to go back and read....

You edited your post AFTER I posted that or while or in between or something. Those alternatives weren't in your post when i read it, so I assumed you were taking about street angel's post at that time.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#11New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:30:45
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Lemon or citrus sauce like you put on gingerbread.

This is a good idea. Thanx
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#12New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:33:06
@boobagins Said

This is a good idea. Thanx

Thx. I like it on, among other things, angel food cake--lower cal.
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#13New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:33:14

Painfultruth's post reminded me that I guess I'm looking for custard type sauces (the liquid kind). This looks delicious.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:33:50
Part-time Nidologist

#15New Post! Mar 13, 2012 @ 19:38:23
@boobagins Said

Painfultruth's post reminded me that I guess I'm looking for custard type sauces (the liquid kind). This looks delicious.

Just as was indicated in the alternatives, posted above!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs