The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Relationships

Are you in an unhappy relationship but dont know how to get out of it?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:36:02
Some stay in relationships for years on end knowing that they are not happy or that they never will be as its simply not working. What makes them stay? Dependance on that other person or vice versa or being made to feel bad about ones self if they were to up and leave? Are you in a relationship that you really know has no future but dont know how to get out? For some its easy to just leave whereas others cant cant bring themselves to do it. Does your partner rely on you too much?
eiyapet On September 20, 2009

, Ohio
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:40:14
I think for a lot of people they would rather be with someone even if they are not happy than to face being alone.
evababy1 On July 29, 2010
Speechless

lodi, New Jersey
#3New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:46:56
I'm in that situation right now. I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years and now we live together. We also have an 11 month old daughter. I want to leave, but we both couldn't live alone financially. He doesn't want to leave though. He loves me very much, but I seem to keep losing interest in our relationship. I care about him a lot, but the love isn't there anymore. I still don't know how much longer I'm going to stay with him, but I think about it a lot. I'm very unhappy being with him, but I love the baby. I just don't see how leaving him would make it easier. I make more than him, but I must admit I've grown somewhat dependent on him since he drives. I don't have a permit or a license, so he takes me to work, picks me up, and does everything. He's a good father and a decent boyfriend, but the feeling just isn't there anymore, for me, anyway.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#4New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:50:02
@eiyapet Said

I think for a lot of people they would rather be with someone even if they are not happy than to face being alone.

That's why my roommate is with her bf. She figures it's better than being alone.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#5New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:55:27
That's why I stayed with my exfiance so long. He is a great guy and everyone kept telling me how lucky i was and blahblahblah. But I didn't love him, and it was not fair to either of us.
We are much more happier alone then we were with each other.

, Ohio
#6New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 15:56:56
@evababy1 Said

I'm in that situation right now. I've been with my boyfriend for almost two years and now we live together. We also have an 11 month old daughter. I want to leave, but we both couldn't live alone financially. He doesn't want to leave though. He loves me very much, but I seem to keep losing interest in our relationship. I care about him a lot, but the love isn't there anymore. I still don't know how much longer I'm going to stay with him, but I think about it a lot. I'm very unhappy being with him, but I love the baby. I just don't see how leaving him would make it easier. I make more than him, but I must admit I've grown somewhat dependent on him since he drives. I don't have a permit or a license, so he takes me to work, picks me up, and does everything. He's a good father and a decent boyfriend, but the feeling just isn't there anymore, for me, anyway.

I wnt throught he exact same thing after I Had my son. My DH and I (he was my BF at the time) almost split because of it. He wasn't doing anything wrong, the feeling was just gone. We ended up sticking it out for our son and got some couple's therapy. Check out a book called "love and respect" by Emerson Eggeriches, it gives excellent insight into how and why men and women act the way they do in relationships. I have recommended this book to quite a few people and seen quite a few relationships get saved because of it. It's a crappy situation, loving the idea of having a family but not feeling like you love your partner anymore. Eventually you will have to decide if it is better to stay and be unhappy for the sake of your child, or leave and possibly have your child be unhappy.
evababy1 On July 29, 2010
Speechless

lodi, New Jersey
#7New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 16:00:03
That's the thing, I don't want to stay because of the baby. My parents divorced whehn I was young and I learned and grew up to understand. She might have to also. My real problem is my feelings toward him. You said you felt like the feeling wasn't there, too. So how did you gain that love back? What turned out to be the problem?
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#8New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 16:01:04
Hey.... I'm no better. It's always me who feels more than the guy, and I see it. Every time. I know he doesn't love me, but if he doesn't go, I don't make him, cuz it hurts too much. Then, the next thing I know, he's off tramping around and I'm pissed as hell, and my whole world falls apart. That's what's always happens to me.

*just a note, this refers to the ex's not the current.*
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2009 @ 16:10:16
@sarky Said

Some stay in relationships for years on end knowing that they are not happy or that they never will be as its simply not working. What makes them stay? Dependance on that other person or vice versa or being made to feel bad about ones self if they were to up and leave? Are you in a relationship that you really know has no future but dont know how to get out? For some its easy to just leave whereas others cant cant bring themselves to do it. Does your partner rely on you too much?

I'm in that kind of situation currently.
The reason I am, is because neither of us
could actually afford to break up.
I'd ruin him, if I did leave. I know this
because we went on a break and he wholed
up in his house the whole time, didn't
eat, or sleep. It was awful.
We both would rather be with someone then
be alone, so fear, I guess. And even though
we say we are together, we don't even act
like it. It's a big stupid mess.

I forgot to mention, we are highschool sweet hearts.
We have been together, nearly 4 years.
Everything in our lives is intertwined, and it would
hurt a lot of both of our friendships with(family and friends)

, Ohio
#10New Post! Jan 05, 2009 @ 06:32:58
@evababy1 Said

That's the thing, I don't want to stay because of the baby. My parents divorced whehn I was young and I learned and grew up to understand. She might have to also. My real problem is my feelings toward him. You said you felt like the feeling wasn't there, too. So how did you gain that love back? What turned out to be the problem?

He almost died from a stroke. 3 weeks in Icu, 2 more on the general floor and then 2 months ina nursing home. At the same time I had cancer and was trying to raise our son (3 at the time) on my own. We lost everything, I ended up staying with my parents until after I had my surgery and then I was able to move in next door to his mother (where he was after he was released from the nursing home.) I watched him learn to walk all over again knowing that the driving force behind everything he did was me and our son.

I did not realize until he was not there, all of the things he did for me that I took for granted. I got so stuck on what was going wrong in our relationship that I never stopped to look at what was going right. I am not going to lie to you and tell you we have "Happily Ever After", he still screws up - he is a man after all, but the most important thing I learned was to appreciate what he tries to do instead of concentrate on what he fails to do.

, Ohio
#11New Post! Jan 05, 2009 @ 06:41:33
I should probably add that sometimes it just does not work, for whatever reason. The trick is to be able to walk away fully knowing that you tried everything you could before walking away so you are not spending the rest of your life wondering what if. You cannot make yourself love someone, and it would be better for your baby if the two of you can part on civil terms and remain friendly toward each other instead of staying there and letting her watch you be miserable.
kate_spencer On May 11, 2009

#12New Post! Jan 06, 2009 @ 20:06:20
@sarky Said

Maybe those couples are still hoping that they're relationship will still work out and also maybe for some say because they have kids, they can't risk their kids' future.
Or maybe for some, they're just waiting for their partners to decide whether they will split or not. And another maybe because they're partner is sick they can't leave it.
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#13New Post! Jan 06, 2009 @ 20:49:28
@sarky Said

i encountered this situation once. i was in relation with guy for almost 2 years despite the fact that i wasn't very happy with him and i knew full known that there will be no future with him. i loved him so much , more than myself , but somehow i couldn't stand being in such a state and decided to walk away.
sarky On March 11, 2011

london, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Jan 09, 2009 @ 21:09:56
I know from experience from friends in this situation that they can be made to feel "bad, guilty" which is why they stay, especially if the other person is being nice. Then theres if they are ill or goingthrough a hard time. But there never is a right time to tell them or anyone bad news other than the present. No pain no gain as life is just too short to be unhappy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs