Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

An Interview for a Job

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#1New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 13:52:41
I'm just a little curious,and this I suppose is more for the younger Members applying for a Jobs.

You've got an interview,for a Job,be it in an Office or where ever,so you want to make sure you get the job.

"What do you do to sell yourself to your Potential Employer and how do you present yourself?".
Now they may sound like odd questions,but keep in mind,the answers you give just may show why you didn't get the job.I've been out of the Game for a while now,but I'd like to know what YOU would do.
LaBellaQuincey On December 27, 2011

Deleted

, Indiana
#2New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 16:59:25
I'm just very outgoing and positive. I smile a lot and I'm not afraid to give detailed answers to their questions. That's really just my personality though, so I just go in and be myself. I've never had any problems getting jobs in the past, so I don't really over think it or try to be someone that I'm not.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:10:36
I smile, make sure I turn up in smart clothes which are clean and ironed. When I walk in I give a firm handshake and wait until I'm offered a seat before taking one.

I maintain eye contact and nod when they speak. I answer questions properly, ensuring I'm not giving one word answers but also not rambling on. I always ask a couple of questions, never about wages or holidays though. I try and be warm and impressionable. I also go over in my head answers to questions I think may come up, like 'What are your weaknesses' or 'Why should we give you a job'.

So far I've only ever once not been offered a job after an interview, think I'm quite good at them.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#4New Post! Jul 21, 2010 @ 17:15:33
Talk about your accomplishments, employers don't want to hear fluff in an interview. They want to hear WHAT you saved, accomplished, made happen- and when you can QUANTIFY that, all the better, i.e. "saved the company 25% in printing costs by doing XYZ". Other accomplishments might include promotions, streamlining a procedure, saving production time, special projects that acheived results. Think about this ahead of time and even if you only worked volunteer work before, try to think of some of your accomplishments. Keep them work related, however.

Dress very professionally - even if it is a casual environment, over dressing is better than under dressing. Wear a good suit if you have one.

When you ask questions, it is best to make them less about things like 'what are the hours worked" or "what is the amount I will make" (there will be plenty of time to find this out during a job offer, and you can choose to decline if it isn't right. I've never asked about hours or pay in an interview, i wait until it looks like I've got the job). Ask questions that look like you did your homework such as 'what is the company culture like", ask the interviewer(s) what they like about working there, read the companies website ahead of time and formulate questions about what you see there. Ask how the goals for the position they are hiring aligns with the companies overall vision and goals.

YOu might also ask what the first projects will be that this person will be given on their objectives.

Answer all of their questions with facts and give results. Don't give hypotheticals. No one wants to know what you MIGHT do in a situation, they want to know what you HAVE done.

, Australia
#5New Post! Jul 22, 2010 @ 01:02:33
@LaBellaQuincey Said

I'm just very outgoing and positive. I smile a lot and I'm not afraid to give detailed answers to their questions. That's really just my personality though, so I just go in and be myself. I've never had any problems getting jobs in the past, so I don't really over think it or try to be someone that I'm not.

@jmo Said

I smile, make sure I turn up in smart clothes which are clean and ironed. When I walk in I give a firm handshake and wait until I'm offered a seat before taking one.

I maintain eye contact and nod when they speak. I answer questions properly, ensuring I'm not giving one word answers but also not rambling on. I always ask a couple of questions, never about wages or holidays though. I try and be warm and impressionable. I also go over in my head answers to questions I think may come up, like 'What are your weaknesses' or 'Why should we give you a job'.

So far I've only ever once not been offered a job after an interview, think I'm quite good at them.

@GSnap Said

Talk about your accomplishments, employers don't want to hear fluff in an interview. They want to hear WHAT you saved, accomplished, made happen- and when you can QUANTIFY that, all the better, i.e. "saved the company 25% in printing costs by doing XYZ". Other accomplishments might include promotions, streamlining a procedure, saving production time, special projects that acheived results. Think about this ahead of time and even if you only worked volunteer work before, try to think of some of your accomplishments. Keep them work related, however.

Dress very professionally - even if it is a casual environment, over dressing is better than under dressing. Wear a good suit if you have one.

When you ask questions, it is best to make them less about things like 'what are the hours worked" or "what is the amount I will make" (there will be plenty of time to find this out during a job offer, and you can choose to decline if it isn't right. I've never asked about hours or pay in an interview, i wait until it looks like I've got the job). Ask questions that look like you did your homework such as 'what is the company culture like", ask the interviewer(s) what they like about working there, read the companies website ahead of time and formulate questions about what you see there. Ask how the goals for the position they are hiring aligns with the companies overall vision and goals.

YOu might also ask what the first projects will be that this person will be given on their objectives.

Answer all of their questions with facts and give results. Don't give hypotheticals. No one wants to know what you MIGHT do in a situation, they want to know what you HAVE done.

There all good response's,and I admit one's I'd hoped I get.

I've seen younger people apply for jobs and turn up in Jeans and T Shirt,they don't really want the job and never stood a chance of getting it either.

When I was in my early 20's I'd not long started working for a Bank here in Sydney,I've always remembered something a retiring Bank Manager once said to me back in those early day's "When your climbing your way up in any business,Always be nice to the people you pass along the way.One day you just may be on your way down again,and friends are hard to find then."

If your asked to do something and it's nearly Lunch,Finishing Time?,Just smile give them the Thumbs up and say with a big smile"No worries,I can do that for you",it just shows your not afraid to step outside your circle to help .
Good luck to you,and hope you get the breaks you need through life,and thanks again for answering.
LaBellaQuincey On December 27, 2011

Deleted

, Indiana
#6New Post! Jul 22, 2010 @ 02:28:00
@Demented Said

There all good response's,and I admit one's I'd hoped I get.

I've seen younger people apply for jobs and turn up in Jeans and T Shirt,they don't really want the job and never stood a chance of getting it either.

When I was in my early 20's I'd not long started working for a Bank here in Sydney,I've always remembered something a retiring Bank Manager once said to me back in those early day's "When your climbing your way up in any business,Always be nice to the people you pass along the way.One day you just may be on your way down again,and friends are hard to find then."

If your asked to do something and it's nearly Lunch,Finishing Time?,Just smile give them the Thumbs up and say with a big smile"No worries,I can do that for you",it just shows your not afraid to step outside your circle to help .
Good luck to you,and hope you get the breaks you need through life,and thanks again for answering.

Its funny that you mentioned the part about going out of your way to do someone a favor before lunch or the end of your shift. I just started a retail job. Nothing fancy, just something to bring in some income while I'm still in school. It was my second real day on the job and it was the end of my shift. The girl I had been working with had some merchandise she was stocking and kind of a mess behind the counter. She told me I could leave, but I stayed until everything was stocked and neat behind the counter before leaving. I think she really appreciated it.. and it only took at extra 10 minutes of my time.

, Australia
#7New Post! Jul 22, 2010 @ 08:15:12
@LaBellaQuincey Said

Its funny that you mentioned the part about going out of your way to do someone a favor before lunch or the end of your shift. I just started a retail job. Nothing fancy, just something to bring in some income while I'm still in school. It was my second real day on the job and it was the end of my shift. The girl I had been working with had some merchandise she was stocking and kind of a mess behind the counter. She told me I could leave, but I stayed until everything was stocked and neat behind the counter before leaving. I think she really appreciated it.. and it only took at extra 10 minutes of my time.

Yeah that's what I meant,it's just going that little bit further than needed,but people do notice.Good onya
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Jul 22, 2010 @ 09:50:06
@GSnap Said

employers don't want to hear fluff in an interview.

No, but they seem to like talking fluff themselves.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 00:00:04
Accomplishments are big. A lot of people can rattle off duties and responsibilities, but if the job isn't entry level, the employer wants to hear about your results.

-I implemented a new marketing strategy using a mixture of traditional and new media techniques that resulted in a 30% increase in sales compared to the same quarter last year.

-During my time as the manager of "___", we had 100% employee retention for the first time in 7 years. The owner of the establishment commended me for motivating the staff and promoting camaraderie among his employees.

-I brought the business into the 21st century, creating a facebook business page and email list that helped keep customers up to date with the business. As incentive to bring people to the page, I created a free online classified section that allowed customers to post their own ads while still providing side bars promoting our own products. The face book page currently has over 300 likes, and the website is trafficking 50 unique visits each day, with 32% return traffic and over 100 page views.

-Took initiative to further train and educate employees by contacting dealer representatives and arranging seminars with the goal of increasing revenue from those products. Gross revenue from these products increased from 3,000 dollars a month to 5,000, and continues to steadily increase.

That sounds a lot better than managed 16 employees, oversaw daily operations, created and implemented marketing strategies using new media, acted with initiative and foresight, etc.

I don't know, that's the best advice I've got lol.

, Australia
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 02:29:20
@magically_delicious Said

Accomplishments are big. A lot of people can rattle off duties and responsibilities, but if the job isn't entry level, the employer wants to hear about your results.

-I implemented a new marketing strategy using a mixture of traditional and new media techniques that resulted in a 30% increase in sales compared to the same quarter last year.

-During my time as the manager of "___", we had 100% employee retention for the first time in 7 years. The owner of the establishment commended me for motivating the staff and promoting camaraderie among his employees.

-I brought the business into the 21st century, creating a facebook business page and email list that helped keep customers up to date with the business. As incentive to bring people to the page, I created a free online classified section that allowed customers to post their own ads while still providing side bars promoting our own products. The face book page currently has over 300 likes, and the website is trafficking 50 unique visits each day, with 32% return traffic and over 100 page views.

-Took initiative to further train and educate employees by contacting dealer representatives and arranging seminars with the goal of increasing revenue from those products. Gross revenue from these products increased from 3,000 dollars a month to 5,000, and continues to steadily increase.

That sounds a lot better than managed 16 employees, oversaw daily operations, created and implemented marketing strategies using new media, acted with initiative and foresight, etc.

I don't know, that's the best advice I've got lol.

That's great,but what is the long time effect of these changes and pardon me for asking this ,But just what did you get out of increasing your bosses increased sales and profit? and I certainly hope you don't just say a slap on the back and a "Thanks Mate "

, California
#11New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 03:08:14
@Demented Said

That's great,but what is the long time effect of these changes and pardon me for asking this ,But just what did you get out of increasing your bosses increased sales and profit? and I certainly hope you don't just say a slap on the back and a "Thanks Mate "

You get what you give out of a job. The company, while still in financial trouble, is not out of business. I got an awesome letter of recommendation, and being the only employee on salary at the time. If you don't get results, why would someone hire you as a manager.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 03:49:46
do you need a suit to aply as a mechanic?

, Australia
#13New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 04:00:12

You get what you give out of a job. The company, while still in financial trouble, is not out of business. I got an awesome letter of recommendation, and being the only employee on salary at the time. If you don't get results, why would someone hire you as a manager.

That's very true,but I've seen places where they don't give incentives to people when they step up and do something like you've done,your just expected to do it because it's your job.

My Daughter works as a property manager,the company she used to work with sent her on an all expenses paid holiday for one week,Why you ask? she had added another 100 clients to their portfolio of rental properties over the year.
Now that's appreciation for you.

, California
#14New Post! Jan 04, 2012 @ 04:37:50
@Demented Said

That's very true,but I've seen places where they don't give incentives to people when they step up and do something like you've done,your just expected to do it because it's your job.

My Daughter works as a property manager,the company she used to work with sent her on an all expenses paid holiday for one week,Why you ask? she had added another 100 clients to their portfolio of rental properties over the year.
Now that's appreciation for you.

That's true, but this thread is discussing what to say in a job interview. I think both the interview and the application/resume need to reflect your results, that way you have a better chance of getting the job as well as earning as high of a salary as possible.

, Australia
#15New Post! Jan 05, 2012 @ 02:33:11

That's true, but this thread is discussing what to say in a job interview. I think both the interview and the application/resume need to reflect your results, that way you have a better chance of getting the job as well as earning as high of a salary as possible.

Hmmmm,your right,I forgot when I started this thread that's exactly the question I asked.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs