Forums:
Music

Alto or Tenor Sax?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
missmusicgirl On May 30, 2011

Wirral, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 17:11:42
So i got a saxophone for my birthday, (an alto apparently) and all was going fine with it. Until recently, when i got a alto saxophone music book with an accompaniement cd and i found that i sounded wrong when playing along to it. So i double checked i was playing the right notes but again it sounded wrong.
I then went over to my piano to play what would be a note and match it with the saxophone, and i found that it was only one whole tone lower. The sound of a tenor.... but it doesnt have the bend in the neck like a tenor would. Anybody have any advice?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#2New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 17:13:29
About what?

Wirral, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 17:17:21
If anybody knows anything more about telling the difference between an alto and a tenor. I know about the bend in the neck. And i know that the tenor is larger, but i dont have an alto to compare it with...
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#4New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 17:22:13
Here's some basic information:

"The tenor saxophone is a medium-sized member of the saxophone family, a group of instruments invented by Adolphe Sax in the 1840s. The tenor, with the alto, are the two most common types of saxophones. The tenor is pitched in the key of Bb;, and written as a transposing instrument in the treble clef, sounding a major ninth lower than the written pitch. Modern tenor saxophones which have a high F# key have a range from Ab2 to E5 and are therefore pitched one octave below the soprano saxophone."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_saxophone

Other than that, I would take it to a music shop so they can tell you how to play it properly and get you the correct book.

**edited because TFS apparently doesn't like the 'flat' sign. **

Wirral, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 02, 2010 @ 17:26:07
@someone_else Said

Here's some basic information:

"The tenor saxophone is a medium-sized member of the saxophone family, a group of instruments invented by Adolphe Sax in the 1840s. The tenor, with the alto, are the two most common types of saxophones. The tenor is pitched in the key of Bb;, and written as a transposing instrument in the treble clef, sounding a major ninth lower than the written pitch. Modern tenor saxophones which have a high F# key have a range from Ab2 to E5 and are therefore pitched one octave below the soprano saxophone."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenor_saxophone

Other than that, I would take it to a music shop so they can tell you how to play it properly and get you the correct book.

**edited because TFS apparently doesn't like the 'flat' sign. **

I'll bear that in mind about the TFS and the 'flat' sign :P yes i will take it to a music shop this weekend, just wondering if anyone knew something to save me a trip, but then that is just me being lazy. Thanks for the link
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs