Forums: Recreation:
Cars

Air tools gone bad??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
RobbyF On November 11, 2016

Silver Spring, Maryland
#1New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 21:41:35
More of a tool then car question but I didn't know where else to put it.

So I have a decent compressor but 2nd hand less then decent air tools. I have a few big air guns that should get ANYTHING off. I have done my research on compressors and know that to efficiently run air tools it needs to be anything over 3CFM @ 90 PSI. The one I have is 5.5 so thats straight. The impact guns I have tried like I said are 2nd hand. I don't use them all that much. I do oil them every time I do use them but not when they are just sitting. One stays inside but one of the others is outside in an outdoor tool box. Does anyone know if they can actually go bad? They work but not anywhere NEAR how they're supposed to.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#2New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 21:51:04
@RobbyF Said

More of a tool then car question but I didn't know where else to put it.

So I have a decent compressor but 2nd hand less then decent air tools. I have a few big air guns that should get ANYTHING off. I have done my research on compressors and know that to efficiently run air tools it needs to be anything over 3CFM @ 90 PSI. The one I have is 5.5 so thats straight. The impact guns I have tried like I said are 2nd hand. I don't use them all that much. I do oil them every time I do use them but not when they are just sitting. One stays inside but one of the others is outside in an outdoor tool box. Does anyone know if they can actually go bad? They work but not anywhere NEAR how they're supposed to.

They should be ok as long as you keep them oiled. If they are really old they could just be worn out. For using air tools, the duty cycle of a compressor is just as important as volume and pressure because you should have one that is designed to constantly run 100% of duty time when you need it.

Silver Spring, Maryland
#3New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 22:44:57
@tardcore Said

They should be ok as long as you keep them oiled. If they are really old they could just be worn out. For using air tools, the duty cycle of a compressor is just as important as volume and pressure because you should have one that is designed to constantly run 100% of duty time when you need it.

Ah ok. s*** idk the duty cycle. I'm at work but I'll find out and post it when I get home. It makes sense though. Like why you need bigger injectors on cars. I figured I'd ask before I bought new tools for nothing.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#4New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 23:02:22
Having a inline oiler/water separator is a good idea too.

Silver Spring, Maryland
#5New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 23:04:43
@tardcore Said

Having a inline oiler/water separator is a good idea too.

Yeah I should look into that to. Luckily the compressor is kept inside the house (not in the basement) so I don't think it has TO much condensation. I sprayed with the air connector to see before I hooked the impact gun up. I have heard water in the line KILLS tools fast but have not experienced it yet thank goodness.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs