Forums:
News & Current Events

Flying the US Flag at half mast

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#1New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 13:56:40
I went on a little road trip with my dad on Sunday and noticed that US and Texas flags were all flying at half mast. I was highly confused. I wondered if something happened that I wasnt aware of. When I got back home, I googled it.
Apparently, President Obama made a proclamation to have them flying at half mast until the 25th for the shooting in Colorado. I found that kind of an odd reason to do it. Dont get me wrong, I know it was a terrible thing. I just didnt think it was flying the flags at half mast terrible. But, after telling my dad the reason, he informed me they do it for anything considered a tragedy.
At what number of deaths/injuries do they consider it a tragedy?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 14:17:30
@SimplyxComplicated Said

Any senseless act that involves hurting or killing people is tragic.. when it captures the attention of the entire country, it becomes a tragedy.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#3New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 14:42:18
I do not think it has to be a set amount of victims but its based on the tragedy of it and done to reflect on the loss and show thoughts to the victims and their families.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 14:58:09
@SimplyxComplicated Said

I went on a little road trip with my dad on Sunday and noticed that US and Texas flags were all flying at half mast. I was highly confused. I wondered if something happened that I wasnt aware of. When I got back home, I googled it.
Apparently, President Obama made a proclamation to have them flying at half mast until the 25th for the shooting in Colorado. I found that kind of an odd reason to do it. Dont get me wrong, I know it was a terrible thing. I just didnt think it was flying the flags at half mast terrible. But, after telling my dad the reason, he informed me they do it for anything considered a tragedy.

I don't think it is a numbers thing, this caught the attention of the world. Though 12 dead (including 2 children) and 58 injured is a fair amount (Columbine had 13 killed and that is called a massacre).

It could be 2 people or 200 people and it would still be tragic. And death is usually the reason flags are flown at half mast, out of respect for the dead.

, Canada
#5New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 16:02:38
@ninozara Said

I don't think it is a numbers thing, this caught the attention of the world. Though 12 dead (including 2 children) and 58 injured is a fair amount (Columbine had 13 killed and that is called a massacre).

It could be 2 people or 200 people and it would still be tragic. And death is usually the reason flags are flown at half mast, out of respect for the dead.

I think it was a couple years ago, we had a tainted meat situation. It was one of the biggest companies in Canada that had the tainted meat. Fifteen people died from it. We flew our flags at half mast. I am in no way trying to compare tainted meat deaths to people dying from a shooting spree, I am only seeking to give example that even if its not hundreds, its a tragedy people died and it affected a whole country so in such times, flags are flown at half mast.
SimplyxComplicated On June 28, 2023

Fort Worth, Texas
#6New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 16:06:56
Ah, okay. That makes sense, I guess. Just kind of makes me wonder why we dont just KEEP the flags at half mast then, during a war time. People are dying everyday during war. Granted, our "war" has been going on for far too long, but even still... I dont know what Im trying to say, really. I dont wanna accidentally say something thatll offend people and have you get the wrong idea of what I am saying.

, Canada
#7New Post! Jul 24, 2012 @ 16:13:58
@SimplyxComplicated Said

Ah, okay. That makes sense, I guess. Just kind of makes me wonder why we dont just KEEP the flags at half mast then, during a war time. People are dying everyday during war. Granted, our "war" has been going on for far too long, but even still... I dont know what Im trying to say, really. I dont wanna accidentally say something thatll offend people and have you get the wrong idea of what I am saying.

No worries at all on offending anyone. I think I know what you mean. I think what is it, its quite sad so many men and women have died due to the war but its a situation that is understood to happen, that lives will be lost and the war is ongoing. But in this case, it was a situation where it was not understood to happen that people would die attending a movie by the hands of some unstable individual. Though its sad and heartbreaking that people die during a war, its what happens and we can wrap our heads around it. Its harder to understand and wrap out heads about this tragic event. No one expects to die going to a movie.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs