The Olympic Flame Arrives In England

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#16New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 04:22:10
@hoppy Said

It borders on idol worship of sorts. Or the games Romans used to dote on. Tons of money being spent for the short time amusement of a few people.

Yeah, I hate the Summer Olympics, as there is not really a single event in there that interests me from a spectator's perspective. Add to the boredom the way television handles it, and I just prefer not to watch any of it. The Winter Olympics I enjoy, however, because there are quite a few events that interest me, both as a performer and spectator.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#17New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 04:52:43
@sister_of_mercy Said

It's not like we see warm things much so we take what we can get

I do understand but you have no idea of cold until you are in -40 and live in igloo so your cold is my warm.

@Leon Said

Yeah, I hate the Summer Olympics, as there is not really a single event in there that interests me from a spectator's perspective. Add to the boredom the way television handles it, and I just prefer not to watch any of it. The Winter Olympics I enjoy, however, because there are quite a few events that interest me, both as a performer and spectator.

I like a couple things like gymnastics but do not go out of my way to watch. I enjoy the winter olympics as well.

I guess maybe I relate more to winter and have no idea what its like to see summer sport or take part in one in real life.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#18New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 04:54:04
@DorkySupergirl Said

I do understand but you have no idea of cold until you are in -40 and live in igloo so your cold is my warm.

I like a couple things like gymnastics but do not go out of my way to watch. I enjoy the winter olympics as well.

I guess maybe I relate more to winter and have no idea what its like to see summer sport or take part in one in real life.

Throw a little snow in there instead of sand and you can relate to beach volleyball a bit more eh?

, Canada
#19New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:00:37
@Leon Said

Throw a little snow in there instead of sand and you can relate to beach volleyball a bit more eh?

OMG are you trying to kill me. No way I am going out in -40 in a little bitty swim suit to play volleyball. I'd die of exposure in 2 minutes. So now I understand it less.

Each year on Survivor I wait for them to do a Canadian version and put them with no supplies in the Yukon where it can dip to well below -40 and see what happens.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#20New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:03:07
@DorkySupergirl Said

OMG are you trying to kill me. No way I am going out in -40 in a little bitty swim suit to play volleyball. I'd die of exposure in 2 minutes. So now I understand it less.

Each year on Survivor I wait for them to do a Canadian version and put them with no supplies in the Yukon where it can dip to well below -40 and see what happens.

Maybe they should have a polar bear swim event, and then we'll see how Michael Phelps does.

, Canada
#21New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:06:40
@Leon Said

Maybe they should have a polar bear swim event, and then we'll see how Michael Phelps does.

Now that, that I can relate to as we have that here. There are clubs for it. Now that would be an event. None of this silly warm or temperature controlled water. We are on to things Leon.

To the topic, I have seen the torch in person and its pretty cool.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#22New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:18:47
@DorkySupergirl Said

Now that, that I can relate to as we have that here. There are clubs for it. Now that would be an event. None of this silly warm or temperature controlled water. We are on to things Leon.

To the topic, I have seen the torch in person and its pretty cool.

Yeah, I saw it when I was a kid and they had the Olympics in LA, 120 miles north of us. They ran it through San Diego on their way up. As a result, I get the hype going on in England. Last time we had an Olympics in the USA before that one was some 50 years earlier. Which is why I thought it quite unfair to the rest of the world that we got them again a mere 3 Olympics later, in Atlanta. WTF?

, Canada
#23New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:22:18
@Leon Said

Yeah, I saw it when I was a kid and they had the Olympics in LA, 120 miles north of us. They ran it through San Diego on their way up. As a result, I get the hype going on in England. Last time we had an Olympics in the USA before that one was some 50 years earlier. Which is why I thought it quite unfair to the rest of the world that we got them again a mere 3 Olympics later, in Atlanta. WTF?

I thought you meant you saw people doing polar bear swim in LA and I was like WTF.

Yeah, it is pretty cool. I do not think my country has had them often. I think BC, Montreal and Calgary had them and not sure if that was winter or summer.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#24New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:24:44
@DorkySupergirl Said

I thought you meant you saw people doing polar bear swim in LA and I was like WTF.

Yeah, it is pretty cool. I do not think my country has had them often. I think BC, Montreal and Calgary had them and not sure if that was winter or summer.

That was all Winter Olympics.

Is there even a summer up there?

, Canada
#25New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:34:20
@Leon Said

That was all Winter Olympics.

Is there even a summer up there?

Last year and year before was actually warm here I had little pants imported in from your country. I think you guys call them shorts.

My summer is not your summer. Your winter is probably warmer than my summer. And that is even at best about a month long of nice weather. But last few years really warm for us and not used to that at all. But others would find my warm and heat wave either cold or normal temps.
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#26New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:40:56
@DorkySupergirl Said
But others would find my warm and heat wave either cold or normal temps.

Yeah, or you would run into a serious housing issue, as all your igloos would melt.

, Canada
#27New Post! May 20, 2012 @ 05:44:35
@Leon Said

Yeah, or you would run into a serious housing issue, as all your igloos would melt.

And I would have no mode of transportation if all the snow melted and it got too hot, the dog sled is not good trying to go off the snow.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs