Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#46New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 19:27:35
@someone_else Said

That is interesting. I could not imagine making ends meet on $25k per year. And yes, it is definitely better than being unemployed. I don't think I said otherwise.

Well, a family of that size making that amount will get government assistance of some sort, likely the Earned Income Tax Credit and possibly qualify for medicaid or some other cheap health insurance through a state program. And of course, living in some areas of the country would not be realistic.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#47New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 19:31:54
@El_Tino Said

Well, a family of that size making that amount will get government assistance of some sort, likely the Earned Income Tax Credit and possibly qualify for medicaid or some other cheap health insurance through a state program. And of course, living in some areas of the country would not be realistic.

Okay, that is a little different than what I was thinking of. I was thinking of not needing assistance at all. It was actually pretty difficult making it on $40k per year and I think we qualified for $7 in food assistance per month. Woohoo! 2 free gallons of milk...but I digress.
Delta62 On March 30, 2024
Natural asshole

manchester, United Kingdom
#48New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 19:34:50
@boxerdc Said

The company I work for currently has about 1500 openings.. We have 11 locations around the country and will be opening another 2 locations this year, including a second facility in the southwest.. Those 2 new locations will add another 2000 jobs.

We're having problems filling those jobs because the unskilled labor we need wants more than $12.50 an hour plus full medical, dental, prescription, vision, and 401k, to start.. Not here where almost all of my workforce is minority.. but in the midwest and south - southwest where the workforce is white.

Seems that it's the white folks that don't want to work for a living.

$12.50 an hour and I get to have a smoke break when I want.
Hot_Rod On March 30, 2012

Deleted
Banned

A yacht, Monaco
#49New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 19:41:49
@El_Tino Said

So people should get jobs they're not qualified for?

No, lol. The point I'm trying to make really is this...

If college education is a prime factor in job success, in the terms you describe, then why is it that such people are frequently - TOO frequently - found competing for jobs below their level of educational attainment?

It is surely not fair on those who should perhaps be eligible for those jobs, who haven't been to college/are not academically minded, etc. Why should they be pushed out in favour of graduates, who - if the system of education is as great as some like to say - should be expecting to get a more appropriate job?
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#50New Post! Mar 28, 2012 @ 19:45:18
@Hot_Rod Said

If college education is a prime factor in job success, in the terms you describe, then why is it that such people are frequently - TOO frequently - found competing for jobs below their level of educational attainment?

It is surely not fair on those who should perhaps be eligible for those jobs, who haven't been to college/are not academically minded, etc. Why should they be pushed out in favour of graduates, who - if the system of education is as great as some like to say - should be expecting to get a more appropriate job?

I have no idea the extent to which that is actually a problem. If you have some information about what sort of jobs are unfilled, or what type of jobs the typical college graduate is obtaining, that might shed some light on the issue.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#51New Post! Mar 30, 2012 @ 00:17:08
@Hot_Rod Said

It is surely not fair on those who should perhaps be eligible for those jobs, who haven't been to college/are not academically minded, etc. Why shuld they be pushed out in favour of graduates, who - if the system of education is as great as some like to say - should be expecting to get a more appropriate job?

University isn't vocational training. Obtaining a degree in, say, economics means more than "you are now prepared for a job in economics."
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#52New Post! Mar 30, 2012 @ 02:13:28
@someone_else Said

That's not bad at all. The only issue that I could see is what I said before, $12.50 is not a living wage....but it's waaaaay better than minimum so it would be good for getting by. Plus people could probably still qualify for some government benefits on the side.

Not likely. That is considerably more than either my husband or I make and we don't get government benefits.

Well, wait, I take that back. The kids have medicaid. But if you have two people in a household making that then you are making good money.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#53New Post! Mar 30, 2012 @ 02:17:37
@El_Tino Said

yes, they would qualify for earned income tax credit,and the children would get medicaid. It is unlikely that the adults would get medicaid. Only adults with disability checks or virtually no income can get medicaid, except pregnancy medicaid during pregnancy.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#54New Post! Mar 30, 2012 @ 14:25:15
@alk1975 Said

Not likely. That is considerably more than either my husband or I make and we don't get government benefits.

Well, wait, I take that back. The kids have medicaid. But if you have two people in a household making that then you are making good money.

Right, like I said to Tino...that's two people. I was talking about one person supporting a family.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#55New Post! Mar 30, 2012 @ 23:52:15
Where do you stand on the global pay scale?

I'm doing pretty well both on a US and a world scale.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs