News & Current Events

United Kingdom Shows That Austerity Does Not Grow the Economy

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 18:09:59
Duh! We should all know that. So why is it such a rush for the pubs to do this?
https://news.yahoo.com/united-kingdom-shows-austerity-does-not-grow-economy-165532002.html
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 18:13:29
Yeah from what I've read lately it doesn't look like things are getting any better over here, not that I expected miracles. I may not like the current government but I do think they're trying their best to sort it all out, just not perhaps in the best way. That was a problem with the last government as well to be fair.
Wheezy_Knight On February 24, 2012

Deleted

Ankh-Morpork, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 18:16:51
It is not going to get better.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 18:18:31
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah from what I've read lately it doesn't look like things are getting any better over here, not that I expected miracles. I may not like the current government but I do think they're trying their best to sort it all out, just not perhaps in the best way. That was a problem with the last government as well to be fair.

It's funny isn't it (or I guess it really is not funny) that putting government employees on the streets and removing funding for job creation which are some of the few things the government can do is going to grow the economy? Crazy! Just crazy!
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 18:21:30
@shinobinoz Said

It's funny isn't it (or I guess it really is not funny) that putting government employees on the streets and removing funding for job creation which are some of the few things the government can do is going to grow the economy? Crazy! Just crazy!

It's scary really, especially if you look at the unemployment figures. I've had to change my career path in order to have a better chance of getting a job after I leave university as I fear it won't be any easier by 2013.
CausaMortis On April 20, 2012

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 19:13:18
Truth be it told the UK is much closer to the immediate effects of the EU's currency situation, and austerity measures taking place in Greece, Italy, and Spain. Even France has been downgraded on the S&P. The UK is just frightened that they will be next, so they're crawling into the fetal position trying to protect the vital organs, instead of fighting back.

Conversely the US is well headed towards recovery, unemployment is down, dow jones is doing well (though they recently taken minor hits), and GM is back on top.

The only thing that could really screw up our recovery is If the austerity deals between Germany and Greece doesn't pan out. And like I said the UK has greater proximity to these effects than the US
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#7New Post! Jan 30, 2012 @ 21:28:31
@CausaMortis Said

Truth be it told the UK is much closer to the immediate effects of the EU's currency situation, and austerity measures taking place in Greece, Italy, and Spain. Even France has been downgraded on the S&P. The UK is just frightened that they will be next, so they're crawling into the fetal position trying to protect the vital organs, instead of fighting back.

Conversely the US is well headed towards recovery, unemployment is down, dow jones is doing well (though they recently taken minor hits), and GM is back on top.

The only thing that could really screw up our recovery is If the austerity deals between Germany and Greece doesn't pan out. And like I said the UK has greater proximity to these effects than the US

The UK is tied in a lot of ways to the US as well, and we aren't doing as well as the White House tells the GAO to tell us we're doing. Actual unemployment, including people who've stopped working or unemployment has run out (after 2 year!) sucks, and the market is stagnant. We need to get the government out of the way, like at Keystone, and the aircraft contract they pushed off to Brazil, oil in the Gulf……...
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#8New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 00:43:53
@CausaMortis Said

Headed towards recovery unless the wacko righties get their way ya mean!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 00:44:49
@ThePainefulTruth Said

The UK is tied in a lot of ways to the US as well, and we aren't doing as well as the White House tells the GAO to tell us we're doing. Actual unemployment, including people who've stopped working or unemployment has run out (after 2 year!) sucks, and the market is stagnant. We need to get the government out of the way, like at Keystone, and the aircraft contract they pushed off to Brazil, oil in the Gulf……...

Keystone would be a boon for Canada no doubt. Here? Very little jobs.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#10New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 00:52:22
It's kind of funny, but now that the U.S. economy is starting to get back on track or showing signs of progress, there have been a lot of polls and discussions going on as to how people feel about it.

Interestingly enough, a lot of comparisons have been made to the 2001 tech bubble crash, and of course the 87' crash, and many people already feel like 2008 was really a bump in the road compared to 2001 or the 87.

I guess it was different for me. 2008-2009 > I'm looking at the world through adult eyes and I saw things different. 2001 and 1987 (I wasn't even born yet!) really didn't affect me. But overall, 2008 probably was really a very beneficial experience from me than this 'horrible period'. I benefited more from it than anything.

Sure, I lost a lot and I was cringing at all the red numbers in my spreadsheet, but the market has more than already made up for it. If anything, I've learned that you've got to stay the course and it made me learn many valuable lessons young instead of older.

I can say I'm better because of the 2008 crash.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 01:00:52
@boobagins Said

It's kind of funny, but now that the U.S. economy is starting to get back on track or showing signs of progress, there have been a lot of polls and discussions going on as to how people feel about it.

Interestingly enough, a lot of comparisons have been made to the 2001 tech bubble crash, and of course the 87' crash, and many people already feel like 2008 was really a bump in the road compared to 2001 or the 87.

I guess it was different for me. 2008-2009 > I'm looking at the world through adult eyes and I saw things different. 2001 and 1987 (I wasn't even born yet!) really didn't affect me. But overall, 2008 probably was really a very beneficial experience from me than this 'horrible period'. I benefited more from it than anything.

Sure, I lost a lot and I was cringing at all the red numbers in my spreadsheet, but the market has more than already made up for it. If anything, I've learned that you've got to stay the course and it made me learn many valuable lessons young instead of older.

I can say I'm better because of the 2008 crash.

"wasn't even born yet" keep rubbing it in doncha!

87 was my oldest birth year!
CausaMortis On April 20, 2012

San Antonio, Texas
#12New Post! Jan 31, 2012 @ 01:07:11
@ThePainefulTruth Said

You righties tout the "real unemployment number" like as if you've jusrt stumbled on some new information. We're collecting the unemployment numbers the exact same way we were during the Bush administration, the same way it's been tracked the same way for at least 20 years. When unemployment dips below 8 percent as it most likely will be by the end of this year, that's not going to be any more "fake" then the unemployment numbers that existed under Bush.

Most important of all, getting "government out of the way" is how we ended up in this mess in the first place that directly contributed to the housing subprime bubble. We rescinded glass Stegall and deregulated the banking industry, essentially allowing the foxes to police the henhouse, and what we were left with is unregulated, mortgage bundled deriviatives, with little to no monetary collateral backing any of it. Thus we ended up with bloated property values when people who were previously prevented, as a matter of law, to get into mortgages they couldn't afford, let alone understand, we allowed to do so.

All of the above is what happens when you "get government out of the way of businesses making money."

Perhaps you think another housing bubble is the key to our problems but I certainly do not.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs