The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Is what is happening in Greece a Preview for the U.S.?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#31New Post! Jul 08, 2011 @ 13:49:02
@Leon Said

Those who are greater have much further to fall.

When I was reading the article about Greece , the thought went though my mind that 'if' that sort of thing were to happen here, as spoiled as we all are to the creature comforts' (some creatures have more comforts then others) it could sure could turn real ugly real quick . There would be a lot of people that would look immediately to the government to fix their problems, there would be some that would just start doing a grab and go sort of action thinking to get all they could while there was still something to get, then there will be a few that by default has a stock pile of goody's and who are prepared to 'protect' that pile from all comers at all costs. When the many finally figure out that the government isn't coming at a run to fix their problems , that's whem I can imagine some real ugly s*** hitting the fan .
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#32New Post! Jul 09, 2011 @ 13:29:50
@Leon Said

Those who are greater have much further to fall.

I'll be more detailed on what I think will happen in America's case after work this evening.

@white_swan53 Said

When I was reading the article about Greece , the thought went though my mind that 'if' that sort of thing were to happen here, as spoiled as we all are to the creature comforts' (some creatures have more comforts then others) it could sure could turn real ugly real quick . There would be a lot of people that would look immediately to the government to fix their problems, there would be some that would just start doing a grab and go sort of action thinking to get all they could while there was still something to get, then there will be a few that by default has a stock pile of goody's and who are prepared to 'protect' that pile from all comers at all costs. When the many finally figure out that the government isn't coming at a run to fix their problems , that's whem I can imagine some real ugly s*** hitting the fan .

All the gnashing of teeth by those who want to continue government entitlements in status or grow them versus those who want the government (local to federal) to begin to show some fiscal constraint makes for lively debate. However, this will be settled for us by events. We don't have the asset cash, tax base or capital growth to support the level of entitlements existing now and adding to that is just plain nuts realistically and politically (if we intend to keep the US in some semblance of its historical form of government).

I read a very interesting analysis by a Canadian as to what Canada has to do to make it through this economic crisis. Using a study by 2 US economists, he states that the global economy is actually in a fiscal meltdown and that these have occurred in the past and are the longest and hardest from which to recover. We and our politicians have not arrived at that conclusion yet, but I think we will. The entitlement segment can complain and riot all they want, but the economy is not improved and we don't have the money for all this. Its really that simple despite the social activists claiming otherwise. The last few paragraphs of the article are very telling and compelling. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/recession-recovery-weve-only-just-begun/article2078910/
Leon On March 30, 2024

San Diego, California
#33New Post! Jul 09, 2011 @ 18:22:23
@Junkyard_Jim Said

All the gnashing of teeth by those who want to continue government entitlements in status or grow them versus those who want the government (local to federal) to begin to show some fiscal constraint makes for lively debate. However, this will be settled for us by events. We don't have the asset cash, tax base or capital growth to support the level of entitlements existing now and adding to that is just plain nuts realistically and politically (if we intend to keep the US in some semblance of its historical form of government).

I read a very interesting analysis by a Canadian as to what Canada has to do to make it through this economic crisis. Using a study by 2 US economists, he states that the global economy is actually in a fiscal meltdown and that these have occurred in the past and are the longest and hardest from which to recover. We and our politicians have not arrived at that conclusion yet, but I think we will. The entitlement segment can complain and riot all they want, but the economy is not improved and we don't have the money for all this. Its really that simple despite the social activists claiming otherwise. The last few paragraphs of the article are very telling and compelling. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/recession-recovery-weve-only-just-begun/article2078910/

It's more than just the entitlement spending that has helped America reach a level of unsustainable maintenance.

Although that is certainly part of it, as in the fall of previous great empires, the many factors that have created our debt ridden power that will inevitably disenfrachise the overwhelming majority of us will require a much more drastic set of events than simple continued and futile efforts at reform within our current government.

But instead of spelling it out again, I'll direct the both of you to my thread below for my reasons why and how:

https://www.theforumsite.com/forum/topic/America-s-political-economic-heyday-is-over-/441426
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#34New Post! Jul 09, 2011 @ 18:35:31
10 Silliest Uses Of Taxpayer Money

Quote:
Treadmills for shrimp: $3 million
Scientists created a study to see if sick shrimp displayed the same endurance on a treadmill that a healthy shrimp did. This project boasts the impressive price tag of 3 million dollars.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs