this could be heaven, or this could be hell

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#16New Post! Jun 12, 2011 @ 00:42:52
@tariki Said

You just jogged another memory, when my own mother was in a home recovering from a road accident, and was also in the middle stages of Alzheimers. Visiting her, this other old lady seemed to take a shine to me.......maybe I look like Elvis or something.....Anyway, this poor old gal would sit down beside me and mum and start telling stories, and I desperately tried not to let her become an irritant to my own limited visiting hours. She seemed to keep going on and on (and on) about someone who she was worried about. "I do hope he's alright, I really hope he's alright...." So it went on. Really, I had no idea what to say, but in the end just said....."Don't worry, he's alright, he really is." Her little face beamed and she said...."Is he really? Is he really alright?". I assured her again, and was rewarded with another smile from her. Then her face became clouded again, and she said......"Now I've only got the other two to worry about!"

Do you laugh or cry? What lay behind her words? What events had crippled her life, that they haunted her so much? I think we can talk about "sometimes getting what you need" (rather than what you want) and how we learn our lessons, but sometimes events seem far too terrible to be spoken of as part of any learning curve. They just seem to destroy, as far as our eyes can see.

if i was worried about the future of my 3 kids, you tellin me one is ok might make me say i only have to worry about two.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 12, 2011 @ 06:19:49
@Willi Said

if i was worried about the future of my 3 kids, you tellin me one is ok might make me say i only have to worry about two.

Maybe, yet sadly I think the actual reality hidden in that old gal's life was less benign.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#18New Post! Jun 12, 2011 @ 06:30:59
@tariki Said

You just jogged another memory, when my own mother was in a home recovering from a road accident, and was also in the middle stages of Alzheimers. Visiting her, this other old lady seemed to take a shine to me.......maybe I look like Elvis or something.....Anyway, this poor old gal would sit down beside me and mum and start telling stories, and I desperately tried not to let her become an irritant to my own limited visiting hours. She seemed to keep going on and on (and on) about someone who she was worried about. "I do hope he's alright, I really hope he's alright...." So it went on. Really, I had no idea what to say, but in the end just said....."Don't worry, he's alright, he really is." Her little face beamed and she said...."Is he really? Is he really alright?". I assured her again, and was rewarded with another smile from her. Then her face became clouded again, and she said......"Now I've only got the other two to worry about!"

Do you laugh or cry? What lay behind her words? What events had crippled her life, that they haunted her so much? I think we can talk about "sometimes getting what you need" (rather than what you want) and how we learn our lessons, but sometimes events seem far too terrible to be spoken of as part of any learning curve. They just seem to destroy, as far as our eyes can see.

I wouldn't say everything is a lesson. Alzheimer's falls under the body breaking down and the body breaking down is natural.

What was horrible though is how these patients are left losing what little is left of their mind while they suffer day in and out confined in boring hospital rooms.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jun 12, 2011 @ 07:05:35
@Electric_Banana Said

I wouldn't say everything is a lesson. Alzheimer's falls under the body breaking down and the body breaking down is natural.

What was horrible though is how these patients are left losing what little is left of their mind while they suffer day in and out confined in boring hospital rooms.

There is a point in Merton's Journals where he has just found out about the death of a beloved aunt in an accident at sea. It is the pure honesty in Merton's reflections, the refusal to grasp at token answers, that speaks to me of his deeper faith, a faith beyond that of apparent "certainties".
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#20New Post! Jun 13, 2011 @ 00:13:16
@tariki Said

Maybe, yet sadly I think the actual reality hidden in that old gal's life was less benign.

3 cats?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs