Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#181New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 05:38:53
@someone_else Said

Perhaps David did not want to tell the story. All that he wrote were Psalms.

Perhaps I phrased the question incorrectly. What did you feel this should have been an explanation of?

Verse 11:

On hearing the Philistine?s words, Saul and all the Israelites were dismayed and terrified.

This is a better example of an explanation, but it it is still easy to correct. I have never seen this sort of fear myself, but people I know, who served in Vietnam or Afghanistan, tell me that when people are afraid, they don't get enough sleep. Rather than having the narrator tell the reader that the soldiers were afraid, David could observe their sleep-deprived, clammy skin or their bloodshot eyes.
JaneDevin On January 05, 2011

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#182New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 12:53:46
We could also say that David is an explanation in the way that Mr 888 used the word. David must have broken every commandment. That makes him an explanation or example of how, as Kermit T Frog might say, that it's not easy being human. In fact, in might be harder than being green.

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#183New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:22:36
@JaneDevin Said

We could also say that David is an explanation in the way that Mr 888 used the word. David must have broken every commandment. That makes him an explanation or example of how, as Kermit T Frog might say, that it's not easy being human. In fact, in might be harder than being green.

I can hear Ms H reading this and saying, "Now Janie, you know that a chunk paragraph must have five sentences, so you lose one point.

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#184New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 15:31:11
@JaneDevin Said

I studied about Buddhism is school, just like Niki has or will soon. She even has the same teacher. Mr G, we call him.

I say studied, but I think I have learned more from you and Prothero, that I ever learned in school.

I agree that we have learned more about being Buddhist from Tariki's example than we ever learned or could have learned in school.

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#185New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 12:57:06
@NikiNiki Said

I can hear Ms H reading this and saying, "Now Janie, you know that a chunk paragraph must have five sentences, so you lose one point.

Yeah, she might have said that, but she complained more about 300-word sentences. "Jane, who are you; the reincarnated James Baldwin? Don't you believe in periods!"

Deleted

Anaheim, California
#186New Post! Dec 17, 2010 @ 13:28:08
I've been trying to think of examples of explanation. I've got this list.

The beginning of (maybe just the first chapter) of Hemingway?s The Sun also Rises and the chapters in his For Whom the Bell Tolls, which don?t deal with the Band of Pablo, might be good examples.

The chapter about Georgia politics in Gone With the Wind might be another.

The first chapter of Moby d*** by Melville is an essay about New York City. It has nothing to do with anything in the novel.

The Jungle by Sinclair is one long explanation, but maybe not if it's a collection of essays and short stories.

In the Middle of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hugo stops to write a essay on the buildings of Paris.

Some people might think of the The Letter to the Hebrews in the Bible as an explanation because it speculates about the meaning of characters like David or Jacob, but it is not an author explaining his writing. It?s really criticism by the author of Hebrews of the authors of the Old Testament.

The first chapter of The Red Badge of Courage looks like an explanation, It?s something like the beginning of 1 Samuel 17. Like Niki wants to do with David, Crane did with Henry Fleming. Crane lets Henry inspect the future field of battle just like David might have as he arrived at Saul?s camp.

The Bible has little if any of these kinds of explanations. The Bible just tells the stories.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs