The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Science:
Sociology

Is there gender inequalities between the same sex/ gender?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
cliff_skc On November 09, 2009

Toronto, Canada
#1New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 11:19:15
It's been clear that while talking about gender inequalities, we tend to pinpoint the differences between males and females. However, does gender inequalities occur between the same sex and/or gender group? If so, can you share some examples?
I'm thinking about this to decide whether or not I can write a paper on this topic. So please help me out! Thank you!
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#2New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 11:20:54
I can't lift more than 25 lbs. but my skinny a** twin brother can. Maybe it's my gender?
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 11:29:08
If there are inequalities between people of the same gender then how can it be the gender causing the inequalities?
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#4New Post! Nov 08, 2009 @ 13:55:19
I was actually discussing this issue with a friend whose younger brother is gay. We came to the conclusion that it has something to do with which partner is more dominant and which one is more submissive. We tend to assign the label masculine to more dominant qualities and more submissive qualities are referred to as feminine.

I've also heard it said that the word gender properly refers to language usage not sexuality. In other words, it is only words which have a gender, not people. Where's Boxerdc, he might be of some help here.
franciepants On May 19, 2010

Kerrville, Texas
#5New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 04:12:19
paradigm, the application of the word gender expanded during second wave feminism to the categories of people as well as words. this occurred because 2nd wave feminists pointed out that sex and gender are different variables in human interaction... someone's biological sex and gender identity might be different because they're two completely separate variables.

as for the main question, there IS discrimination within same sex communities. for example, men who express themselves by qualities socially "assigned" to any other gender identity are more likely to be discriminated against by "typical" males. this would mean a man whose gender expression is more feminine or more androgynous might be discriminated against because of his gender expression. i think this is a perfect topic for a paper!

--edit-- if you do write about this, keep in mind to point out the differences between sexual identity and gender identity
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs