Forums: Art & Literature:
Poetry

"Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
neonbacalao On March 27, 2006

Philly, Pennsylvania
#1New Post! Nov 29, 2005 @ 03:02:58
Does anyone want to take a guess at what this poem is about? Go here: https://www.poetryconnection.net/poets/Robert_Browning/14984 I don't usually do this kind of thing in my spare time but my fiance wanted to so here's what we came up with:

We went through the whole thing and decided it was describing this guy's journey down a road with lots of rough terrain on someone else's suggestion. He gets to the end and sees everyone who failed before him. So is this his journey through life? Any other ideas?
arianwen On March 03, 2007

, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 29, 2005 @ 03:18:24
I had only heard of that line through a brilliant book called 'Alchemy' before I read this poem here. This poem is fantastic, I think it is just amazing, though I was left a little unsure of what it might be about...possibly a journey or quest, or it may be his life....either seems to fit quite well. The metaphors of poetry can be a little difficult to fathom, especially the more abstract ones, but the poem was very enjoyable.
neonbacalao On March 27, 2006

Philly, Pennsylvania
#3New Post! Nov 30, 2005 @ 04:34:48
Yeah i thought it was nicely written too. That's why I usually don't try to understand poetry, too many metaphors that I don't get quick enough. I read one once about how this guy had a wonderful life and everyone thought he was a great guy and then the last line it says something about him blowing his brains out, i liked that one a lot just because it was in my high school english book and i really wasn't expecting it. If anyone knows the title of that poem, please refresh my memory. Thanks!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs