Forums:
Art & Literature

Short Stories

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
frna11 On June 05, 2006

Adelaide, Australia
#1New Post! Nov 20, 2005 @ 12:14:21
We had to write some short stories for English and this was my favourite. What you think?

Settings: City, Forest, Graveyard
Plot: Adventure
Main Character: Tom the vampire

Vampires?
In a little isolated village about 100 kilometres from the nearest settlement, Tom was just waking up as the sun set. For you see, this was not a normal village. It was a vampire village; a graveyard. You might think that 100 kilometres was not such a long distance for them to travel to get food, but they had to catch hundreds of humans and lock them up in pens. This was for the breeding program.

Tom was different to most vampires. He was a vegetarian. He would soon get kicked out of the village unless his attitude changed. Up until now, any problems he had were blamed on his youth. His mother often said, ?He?s just 130 years old. He doesn?t know any better.? Today, however, was his 131st birthday. On this day, it is traditional for the birthday boy to take the juiciest, most blood filled individual from the pens and suck him or her dry.

All the village elders were there, eagerly awaiting to see if Tom would finally accept his fate as a blood sucker or continue on in his rebellion. Tom approached the pens. Everyone watched in anticipation. As he surveyed all the humans ? cattle as the others called them ? he couldn?t help but feel pity for humans. He decided that tonight, he would finally make a stand. He grabbed a couple; nobody complained. They all thought he was making up for lost time. However, this was not the case. Suddenly, Tom flew up into the air, hoping to reach the human village and receive sanctuary.

The ?humans? he was carrying were hardly human anymore. They had a glazed look in their eyes, traumatised by their captivity. The other vampires were chasing him and they were getting closer. He knew he could escape them with ease without the extra weight. After all, he?d been training himself for this moment ? but he couldn?t leave the humans behind.

He decided to go down into the woods so as to escape his pursuers? eyes. As soon as he landed, he started running towards the human settlement. After a few hours of running, he hadn?t broken a sweat yet, but it was nearing dawn. He couldn?t risk a beam of light turning him to dust. He hoped he could find a shelter before dawn. Fortunately, after running for a couple more minutes, he spied a derelict looking house with walls and roof still intact.

As soon as he got in, he quickly set the two humans down. They had slept through the escape, as they were senseless to their surroundings. He would just have to hope that they didn?t leave while he was sleeping, as they would surely die out in the wild alone.

All day, the three of them slept. By night, Tom decided that he would have to try and talk to the humans he had rescued, but he couldn?t manage to wake them. He decided that it would be best if he just took them along with him.

A few hours later he arrived at the village; he was ecstatic. However what he saw was nothing like he had expected; he was shocked. The buildings were tall, and made out of a strange gleaming substance. He walked towards a towering edifice, still carrying one of the humans under each arm.

Inside, everyone was staring at him. He didn?t understand what was on the roof that shone so much, it hurt his eyes. He was unaccustomed to any lights brighter than the stars and moon at night. One of the people moved towards him and asked ?Where are you from?? ?From the graveyard? Tom answered. ?I?m trying to escape from the other vampires? added Tom. Everyone laughed, Tom was confused again, ?It?s not funny? he yelled ?They?re coming after me!!!!? But they just laughed and laughed.

Once they finished laughing, they told Tom that they were vampires too, the better or pure vampires. The differentiation between the vampire races had occurred because of the varying amounts of radiation each had received. Strangely enough, the radiation had the same effect on everyone giving them a haemoglobin deficiency, but more strength and the ability to fly.

The ?humans? which they ate were in fact the ones who had stayed in bunkers when the bombs were falling. The pure vampires were the ones that had been left on the street to die and as such received more radiation. Tom?s village and a few others which had had some protection, through very thick house walls or badly made bunkers experienced a lesser degree of mutation.

The lethal effect of the sun on the vampires was a slow evolutionary process. After generations of nuclear winter, they had lost the ability to survive under the sun. The reason none of Tom?s people had reached him was that the pure vampires had killed them off so that Tom could arrive safely. They aided Tom because they found his behaviour- fleeing his village with ?cattle?- interesting.

Ironically enough those who had been poor and left to die on the streets were now in control of the world. The old rich were food and the old middle class were again middle class in this new world. In the end, Tom decided it would be best to stay with this new group, as here they had developed vegetarian meals, ?soy-humans?.
jama211 On November 29, 2023

Adelaide, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 20, 2005 @ 12:36:08
Very good! LOL!

ahh, I should write some stories again. I used to when I was younger. Esspecially about vampires nuclear weapons and "soy humans"

Good on ya! lol

My $0.02
frna11 On June 05, 2006

Adelaide, Australia
#3New Post! Nov 20, 2005 @ 14:00:15
The only bad thing is I didn?t get marked on this , i got marked on a really crappy one that I did in around 10 minutes, got 62 % .
hysteria On December 23, 2005

Adelaide, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 23, 2005 @ 02:25:37
This story is an absolute masterpiece. Top Show, Frna11!

From your anonymous admirer...well, not entirely...
webslinger14 On February 14, 2006

vancouver, Canada
#5New Post! Nov 24, 2005 @ 08:32:10
Excellent! I relly like it!
mhee On March 05, 2006

#6New Post! Nov 30, 2005 @ 01:20:06
that was a very nice story! thanks for sharing

vancouver, Canada
#7New Post! Nov 30, 2005 @ 06:42:35
I'm looking forwad for more stories like this! Very nice, i love it!
claret On December 21, 2005

Boston, Massachusetts
#8New Post! Dec 18, 2005 @ 19:53:40
Nice job!

vancouver, Canada
#9New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 07:10:03
you have the talent! Keep it up!
sweety On November 25, 2006

Deleted

kidderminster, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Dec 20, 2005 @ 13:45:19