Random

its a dogs life

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Hinckleylad On October 08, 2009

Deleted

leicester, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2009 @ 07:04:38
Me and my wife are at loggerheads at the moment with regard to my decision to let my pet staffy dog have important surgery that could in effect save its life. The dog has somehow severed its salival glands (by chewing a stick or something), which has caused a severe inflamation and build up of fluid under its chin. This is causing major discomfort and can ultimately lead to death if left, so i went ahead and booked him in for an operation tommorrow despite her objections.

My wife was upset regarding the estimated costs involved to carry out the procedures needed, we are told it is around ?1200 plus any after care charges. (bang goes our summer vacation). She told me to consider getting it put down, which has shown her to me in an entirely new light, cannot believe she has put money before an animals life-i am shocked.

I know its a lot of cash, at a time when many are struggling, but in my opinion its a small price to pay to ease suffering of a pet i adore, take into account my son would never forgive me if i took the euthenasia option.

Is my wife being unreasonable about this? or was i wrong to ignore her views and go ahead with the treatment?
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#2New Post! Jun 23, 2009 @ 07:51:27
If it was my dog, who is young and otherwise healthy, and there was a reasonable assurance that the outcome would be good, I would spend the money without hesitation.

If my dog was elderly, or otherwise sick and didn't have a good quality of life to look forward to, I would consider having him put down.

I hate the thought of having to ever do that, but I know the time will come when I have to. It's one of the most difficult things a man has to do.

I'm hoping that yours is an otherwise healthy dog with a long happy life ahead of him.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#4New Post! Jun 23, 2009 @ 08:07:15
Awww!!
I cant imagine how you must be feeling!
Thats horrible for you.
If you were in dire straits money wise i would side with your wife most likely, i mean yours and your childrens survival is more important than your pets.
But just sacrificing your summer vacation??
Wow that IS a tiny bit callous huh?
I hope your best friend makes it through the surgery and tell your wife to give up a few of her little luxuries and save if her holiday is so important to her.
xoxoxox
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 23, 2009 @ 09:02:31
i lost my dog on sunday atthe age of 16 and over the past few months we have spent a lot of money on medication.
i think the important thing is to look at the animals quality of life. will he struggle afterwards or will he go back to the same high quality he had before? to me, my dog was my best friend. he didnt struggle and i was with him when he died at home.
it is a very hard decision and one i would ahve struggled to make if it had come to that with my dog.
my thoughts are with you in this difficult decision
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#6New Post! Jun 23, 2009 @ 10:06:27
@Hinckleylad Said

Me and my wife are at loggerheads at the moment with regard to my decision to let my pet staffy dog have important surgery that could in effect save its life. The dog has somehow severed its salival glands (by chewing a stick or something), which has caused a severe inflamation and build up of fluid under its chin. This is causing major discomfort and can ultimately lead to death if left, so i went ahead and booked him in for an operation tommorrow despite her objections.

My wife was upset regarding the estimated costs involved to carry out the procedures needed, we are told it is around ?1200 plus any after care charges. (bang goes our summer vacation). She told me to consider getting it put down, which has shown her to me in an entirely new light, cannot believe she has put money before an animals life-i am shocked.

I'd go ahead with the treatment!

Is the dog insured? If not seriously think about it cos it'll save a fortune in the long run, Argos are doing a pretty good pet insurance deal at the moment.
I know its a lot of cash, at a time when many are struggling, but in my opinion its a small price to pay to ease suffering of a pet i adore, take into account my son would never forgive me if i took the euthenasia option.

Is my wife being unreasonable about this? or was i wrong to ignore her views and go ahead with the treatment?

Deleted

#7New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 13:27:38
WELL, after ?1750 worth of operations, tests, medication, my dog has lost his battle for life, earlier today i had to put mosley to sleep.

it was sheer gut wrenching to do it, but the vets said all the treatment was not working and his weight loss was far too severe.

my son is heartbroken, going to pack him off to stay with his mum for a few days to get over it.

only two left now, storm (b****), and young dog Pig
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#8New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 13:33:50
@Hinckleylad Said

WELL, after ?1750 worth of operations, tests, medication, my dog has lost his battle for life, earlier today i had to put mosley to sleep.

it was sheer gut wrenching to do it, but the vets said all the treatment was not working and his weight loss was far too severe.

my son is heartbroken, going to pack him off to stay with his mum for a few days to get over it.

only two left now, storm (b****), and young dog Pig

I'm sorry to hear that Hink..
I know when I had to put Chillydog down, I cried like a baby. It feels like you've lost a member of your family, except that family members can piss you off, and dogs never do on purpose..

My condolences man.

Deleted

#9New Post! Jul 24, 2009 @ 13:35:44
@boxerdc Said

I'm sorry to hear that Hink..
I know when I had to put Chillydog down, I cried like a baby. It feels like you've lost a member of your family, except that family members can piss you off, and dogs never do on purpose..

My condolences man.

Boxer,

thankyou
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs