Forums:
Music

Music or music trends?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#1New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 02:03:57
As a musician, I have a deep appreciation for music. I listen to and study the instrumentation, the degree of talent with which it's played, originality, production value, sound quality, and certainly not least, enjoyability. Giving attention to all those things one might wonder if I'm taking all the fun out of it. Quite to the contrary, I am not. I nut (figuratively speaking of course) on music that displays an artist's(s') gift of talent. When you know how hard it is to make a song of any kind work (by yourself or with others) to see that as an achievement played out on disc (or digital these days) you can't put a price on that. And that's just the music.

But there's lyrics, too! Country music fans live and die by them, and the poetry sung by a passionate lyricist in any genre just grabs on to me on the inside and holds on tight. I've got songs that I don't give a rat's a** for the music, but I can recite every word.

So showing my a** like this brings me to why I'm creating this thread in the first place. I know that not everybody is or wants to be as passionate about music as I am or those like me. But what I don't understand is those of you that just follow music trends. It seems to me you think of music as an easily consumed and disposable commodity. Perhaps that sounds harsh, but I'm trying really hard to make sure I say what I say without sounding like I'm sticking my nose up in the air at you. But I shudder when a piece of music is reduced to a ringtone. To each his own, and I don't judge. I just don't understand. There's so much to music, and there's so much of it. It's unfortunate the best music is never heard. So it's that I sum up by saying that those of you that generally follow just the trends, to some degree or another you know you're missing out on a lot. You just don't seem to care. Why?
Nugs On October 13, 2008

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 02:06:26
It confuses me how people can be like that too.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#3New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 04:07:08
Yeah...

I find it extremely sad. I would say over the past couple years music has become an intricate part of me...I've gone away from listening to mainstream radio and instead finding amazing music thats hidden.

If one follows a trend/fad with music I feel like they are missing the true essence behind the music. Music isn't about dressing indie, emo, goth, or rock etc....its the lyrics, production, instruments.

Haha but I find it funny that I DO get judged for not following the trend. I dress like "me," I definitely do not dress according to what most people dress like that listen to the music I listen to...so people automatically think that either I don't really like the music (yet I know more than they know) or they never assume that I listen to that particular genre of music. Especially guys...maybe cause they want a rocker chic...but they never assume I am initially because I dont dress the part.

Oh well..
Forget_About_Me On June 22, 2014
Victory is mine!

, Canada
#4New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 04:26:26
To me it doesn't matter. I like what I like and I don't worry about whether it's "popular" or "trendy."
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#5New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 04:26:26
Boob, whether it's been your name, your distinctive avatar, your comments, or a combination of all three, I've noticed you around when I make my comments. You always seem to be fair and in a lot of cases like-minded with me. I went and checked out your profile and Foo's "The Pretender" started playing and, ohhhhhh.....
Anyway, for what it's worth, you've got yourself a friend.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#6New Post! Sep 06, 2008 @ 04:52:59
i like music. I know that is not what you were asking, but i cannot speak for other.

if have finally started learning guitar (never too late).

but anyway I like all kinds of music from all kinds of countries. I am always asking...what is that song? at a resturant, store, someone's car or house...always looking.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs