Forums:
Art & Literature

White Oleander Discussion Questions

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
alexisohyeah On July 14, 2008

Santa Cruz,
#1New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 09:03:26
Why do you think Astrid always found herself in the position of caregiver to Starr's children, Marvel's children, and Claire when she was so deeply in need of care herself?

And also..

Why would Astrid choose Rena as her new foster mother versus Bill and Ann Greenway? Was she in some way trying to punish herself? Why did she feel she deserved Rena?
shayknee2893 On April 07, 2009

Santa Cruz, California
#2New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 09:06:59
s***. you should have asked me the second question

Astrid chose Rena versus bill and ann because bill and ann seemed really too perfect. She thought she belonged better with Rena. ..

yeah.

thats the best i can do.

I thought i could do better but i cant

Santa Cruz, California
#3New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 09:08:25
and Astrid was a caregiver to starrs children because starr was an alcoholic and couldnt deal with them herself

Santa Cruz, California
#4New Post! May 23, 2008 @ 09:09:17
AND

I think she cared for these people because she wasnt used to being cared about because her mom was so wrapped up in herself and being independent that she didnt realize astrid was just a dependent child.
BabyJane On July 08, 2014

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
#5New Post! May 28, 2008 @ 01:35:36
Love your avatar shayknee!

I Loved this book, although I read it years ago. Astrid was used to being everyone's caretaker, even her mother's. That was a natural role for her to assume. The irony was that her mother always told her she didn't need anyone. . just herself. And yet she was capable of giving to others what her mom never gave her.

I think she picked Rena because she was exactly as she appeared to be, in it for the money, in it for the free labor, and most of all because she didn't represent another possible disappointment. She was what she was and Astrid immediately detected that. She was nearly grown by that time and just needed to bide her time in the most predictable way.
unspokenwords On October 16, 2019

#6New Post! May 28, 2008 @ 17:28:09
"Astrid's final home is with Russian immigrant Rena Grushenka. She intentionally chooses Rena over better prospective foster parents because she is devastated by Claire's death, and does not want to become part of a nuclear family. Astrid is afraid it would be too easy to forget the pain she has gone through. At Rena's, she lives with two other teenage girls named Niki and a pregnant girl named Yvonne."

I haven't read the book but the movie was good, bit different and interesting.
beautifullyxbroken On June 20, 2008

Manteno, Illinois
#7New Post! Jun 20, 2008 @ 02:28:56
Astrid was the caregiver in the other families because all the other parents were incapable of raising their own children, they just didn't care. And Claire was like a child herself,it was obvious reason that Astrid there was just as Ingrid said as a suicide watcher.

I think Astrid chose Rena because as unspokenwords said that she was distraught over what happened to Claire and didn't want to get close to another family and then have something bad happen to them .
soooooortme On January 29, 2009

Cottageville, South Carolina
#8New Post! Jun 26, 2008 @ 03:21:38
I think Astrid wanted to be needed, so she shouldered responsibility very quickly. She new her mother didn't really need her, didn't really want her, so she made up for that void by making herself needed. As for going with Rena instead of the nurturing parents...I think she was tired of being a child, and knew that Rena would let her become and woman, and leave her alone in a way.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs