Albums

Saint Jimmy is Jesus?!?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Feb 25, 2008 @ 20:10:25
I remember talking about Saint Jimmy from Green Day's American Idiot album with my friend, trying to work out who he is but without coming to a conclusion. So just now, while checking out my cool new iPod, I thought about it again, so I googled it.

Most useful sites say that St. Jimmy is the alter-ego of both Billie Joe Armstrong and Jesus of Suburbia. Going through the album again, I've really noticed the dark side of Jimmy compared to JOS. JOS works and daydreams and calls himself "the son of rage and love" while St. Jimmy stirs up anarchy and is on the drug scene.

link
link
link

I think JOS makes the transition from saint to sinner in Jesus of Suburbia where the lines
"To live and not to breathe/ Is to die in tragedy"
and
"I lost my faith to this"
are the begining of the development of the St. Jimmy character as JOS becomes increasingly attracted to the dark side of life and the things he hasn't experienced yet, as well as feeling disillusioned and at a low point. This is really the last we hear from JOS as St. Jimmy takes over until his death, when JOS returns.

What do you guys think? (I know this is a lot. Forgive me. I'm bored.)
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#2New Post! Feb 25, 2008 @ 20:12:17
I think that characters based on music are silly, unless they're Mr. Kite, Boris the Spider and Wonderboy.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs