Forums:
Relationships

how do we do it legally?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
fix_me On September 21, 2007

11 miles from nowhere, United
#1New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 18:38:19
this might sound strange, and i hope i do not offend anyone on the site as it is not my intention..
my partner and i have recently been talking about marriage more, and we are both at the stage where we both want to, we just dont know when yet, its still early days and there has been no proposal.
neither of us belive in god, and do not want a church wedding. ideally we would love to create our own vows.
we have seen a place where we are interested in tying the knot, its basically on top of a mountain.
since we do not want a religious wedding, how do we go about doing it? i have seen stuff about a "secular wedding" but cannot find anyone who is willing to help us out, basically people turn their nose up when we say we are not religious.
i think we just need a few ideas on how to go about organizing all this legally.
does everyone have to get married in church for it to be classed as valid?
ugly_ducky On September 30, 2008

Jurassic Pond,
#2New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 18:41:37
I do not know the laws of the UK but could you not get a judge to perform the wedding?
shy_puma On September 08, 2007

Salisbury, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 19:30:10
Here in the Uk you can get married in a register office, getting married in a church is not the only option to get married legally.

You can even choose your own vows in a register office.

Good luck to you both.
trillian On May 06, 2010

derbyshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 19:52:43
what about getting married in a hotel? some venues are now licenced for weddings to take place on their premises
wildething On February 04, 2008

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 20:03:14
i don't know anyone who turns their nose up today to a secular wedding, we were married in a registry office many moons ago and nobody was bothered even then. just go for it. and if some people don't like your choice of marriage, then tough, it's your choice.
kit On January 24, 2014

Fife, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 19, 2007 @ 20:29:49
@fix_me Said
this might sound strange, and i hope i do not offend anyone on the site as it is not my intention..
my partner and i have recently been talking about marriage more, and we are both at the stage where we both want to, we just dont know when yet, its still early days and there has been no proposal.
neither of us belive in god, and do not want a church wedding. ideally we would love to create our own vows.
we have seen a place where we are interested in tying the knot, its basically on top of a mountain.
since we do not want a religious wedding, how do we go about doing it? i have seen stuff about a "secular wedding" but cannot find anyone who is willing to help us out, basically people turn their nose up when we say we are not religious.
i think we just need a few ideas on how to go about organizing all this legally.
does everyone have to get married in church for it to be classed as valid?

I'd say get married at a registry office, and have the reception on top of the mountain...

And congradulations I hope you have a long, prosperous marriage
gideon1451 On July 20, 2020

, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 22, 2007 @ 17:59:40
@ugly_ducky Said
I do not know the laws of the UK but could you not get a judge to perform the wedding?

or th captian of a ship?

llol
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs