Forums: Health & Fitness:
Mental Health

What Is Cutting? (ADVICE & HELP)

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
emoism On October 28, 2007

Hastings, New Zealand
#1New Post! Jun 23, 2007 @ 13:42:13
Injuring yourself on purpose by making scratches or cuts on your body with a sharp object ? enough to break the skin and make it bleed ? is called cutting. Cutting is a type of self-injury, or SI. Cutting is more common among girls, but guys sometimes self-injure, too. People may cut themselves on their wrists, arms, legs, or bellies. Some people self-injure by burning their skin with the end of a cigarette or lighted match.

When cuts or burns heal, they often leave scars or marks. People who injure themselves usually hide the cuts and marks and sometimes no one else knows.

Self-injury is not new. It's also not a very common behavior. But lately people are talking about it more. As guys and girls hear about cutting, they may feel curious about it and why people do it. Because it seems a little bit forbidden, some younger teens may think that cutting might make them seem daring, grown up, or popular.

With all the talk about it, cutting can almost seem like the latest fad. But cutting is a serious problem
teagz On December 31, 2008

Nowra, Australia
#2New Post! Jun 30, 2007 @ 03:40:23
It is a serious problem in especially teenagers. I used to Self-Harm. I don't anymore. But from that I have learnt and discovered that there are people out there that DO care. I now organize a group in my community raising awareness about Self Harm.
negasable On August 05, 2008

Deleted

West Side, California
#3New Post! Jun 30, 2007 @ 03:43:48
Sounds good.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs