Forums: Science:
Statistics

Chi Squared Test Question

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
xdarkelf714x On June 10, 2007

Garden Grove,
#1New Post! Jun 09, 2007 @ 22:43:38
Hi, I'm trying to do a Chi Squared Test to determine if there is an association between high school grade level and response to a statement based on a sexual orientation. The choices are Strongly Agree, Agree, Neutral, Disagree, and Strongly Disagree. I made a 4x5 table (with grade level on the top and choices on the side). The data was made up of the amount of each choice per grade level. Then I did ran the Chi Squared Test on my Ti-84 and it came up with a p-value of 0.04, therefore I rejected my original hypothesis and said that there was sufficient evidence to determine that there is an association between grade level and response. My main question is that how you run the Chi Squared test and does the p-value actual help to see if there is a difference between the grade levels. Is there any other way I could have ran this experiment? Before, I thought of labeling 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 respectively to the choices and finding the average. However, I would do only Males vs Females. Then I could use a 2 Sample T Test to compare the average. However, I didn't know how to find the standard deviation. I wanted to add up all the numbers associated with the choice (like 5+5+5+5+4+4+3+3+2+2+2+1) and find the standard deviation of that but I couldn't do it with Excel.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#2New Post! Jun 09, 2007 @ 23:40:59
wait..are you trying to determine the percentage of homosexuality in highschool? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to figure out?
xdarkelf714x On June 10, 2007

Garden Grove,
#3New Post! Jun 10, 2007 @ 14:40:46
Sorry about that. Let me rephrase my question. Can I use the Chi-Squared Test to determine whether or not there is an association between high school grade level and their response to a certain sexual orientation? I labeled the top of my 4x5 table Grade Level and the side Response with the amount of each response for each grade level inside the table. I did a Chi-Squared Test and got a p-value of 0.04. My alpha is 0.05 so can I conclude that there is an association. I'm not doing percentage though just an experiment to see if there is significant difference in their responses.
craig On August 12, 2008

Letterkenny, Ireland
#4New Post! Jun 26, 2007 @ 16:01:00
Find out of your school/college has access to SPSS software (statistics package for social sciences, version 11 or better if possible). You can run the Chi-squared or any regression analysis using that, its very useful. Also you didnt mention what your standard deviation was, thats kind of important. If the software is not available look for a statistics text book by a man named DWYER, think its called 'beginning research in statistical sciences' or something very similar to that. I have a copy at home, will check the exact title for you and post that for you when I get back.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs