The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Writing

Can you actually make a livng Blogging on the internet?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
JAY37 On February 26, 2015

Montgomery Village, Maryland
#1New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 06:27:23
Hitting40 On November 20, 2016

The middle of nowhere, United
#2New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 06:30:33
nope
Sniper0092 On March 16, 2015

, Georgia
#3New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 00:48:11
If you do it for a company I don't see why not, maybe work for a gaming website?
chaski On about 12 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#4New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 02:24:57
@JAY37 Said

No.

But you can make a living flogging people on the internet.

#5New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 02:48:11
Ok maybe not make a living but earn a few extra bucks?
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#6New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 04:25:12
@chaski Said

No.

But you can make a living flogging people on the internet.

I think you could make money on that even before the Internet.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#7New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 04:52:26
To answer the question. I think you can make money, but it would be the same type of writers that would make money freelancing. Blogging and the Internet is just the medium. If someone has the skills at writing and the willingness to do the hustle eventually it can pay off. It's a tremendous amount of work though and sometimes you can do all the work and stuff still doesn't pan out, because of luck or whatever. Well, maybe not luck, per se, your writing has to appeal to people willing to buy it. Either like a traditional publisher/book sense or continued clicks for ad revenue. Keeping that sustained is tough. The general public has a short attention span, it's even shorter on the Internet. Click bait and trolling works for a while, but eventually people get bored. Popular culture and Internet fame are fickle mistresses.

So basically, blog if you enjoy writing. If it brings in money, great! Maybe you can get recognition. We all know at least one blogger/YouTuber that "hit it big" If not? At least you enjoyed it.

Blogging just a "job" that doesn't have a set formula. Not every job guarntees a career path or promotion but blogging doesn't even guarantee a pay check. Like art. It's hard to be an "artist" as a job too. I know people that are talented, even have gallery showings but stil have a "day job". They do it for the love of the art and the need to create. They do the day job because they need shelter and to eat.

I feel I sound discouraging. Mostly I just think if you go into it knowing it will be hard you'd have more "fight" when times get tough, and more hope to continue, and I think knowing when something is not working and being able to change or stop is important.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#8New Post! Jan 05, 2015 @ 06:13:24
Yes, you can make decent money by blogging. First, you need a niche that can generate organic search traffic and then you need to write a lot - 3 times a day, for several months. You should buy your own domain and hosting through Bluehost or Godaddy, they have one click installs set up for wordpress that will get you up and running with a custom site within 24 hours for less than 100 dollars.

Once you start getting a few hundred views per month from search engine traffic, you can apply to Google Adsense, which is how most people make money from advertising (like this site, for example). Google Adsense serves ads relevant to your audience, so if you were blogging about the music industry, you'd have ads on your site for Full Sail, audio engineering schools, up and coming music software programs, etc. The more concentrated your niche is, the better quality the click through traffic will be, and the more you'll get paid. If you're getting paid .08 per click from Adsense and you have 800 visits to your website per day, you have potential to make a few hundred dollars per month if 10% of your visitors click on the ads. I have friends who make thousands a month through ad revenue, so it definitely can be done.

#9New Post! Jan 07, 2015 @ 02:56:20
@magically_delicious Said

Yes, you can make decent money by blogging. First, you need a niche that can generate organic search traffic and then you need to write a lot - 3 times a day, for several months. You should buy your own domain and hosting through Bluehost or Godaddy, they have one click installs set up for wordpress that will get you up and running with a custom site within 24 hours for less than 100 dollars.

Once you start getting a few hundred views per month from search engine traffic, you can apply to Google Adsense, which is how most people make money from advertising (like this site, for example). Google Adsense serves ads relevant to your audience, so if you were blogging about the music industry, you'd have ads on your site for Full Sail, audio engineering schools, up and coming music software programs, etc. The more concentrated your niche is, the better quality the click through traffic will be, and the more you'll get paid. If you're getting paid .08 per click from Adsense and you have 800 visits to your website per day, you have potential to make a few hundred dollars per month if 10% of your visitors click on the ads. I have friends who make thousands a month through ad revenue, so it definitely can be done.

Any idea how to find a niche that can generate organic search traffic? Seems like everyone is already blogging about everything.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#10New Post! Jan 08, 2015 @ 06:38:23
@JAY37 Said

Any idea how to find a niche that can generate organic search traffic? Seems like everyone is already blogging about everything.

Yeah google.com/trends is a good place to start. The trick is finding something you are passionate enough to write about consistently. Google's algorithms award original content, website load speed, quality backlinks, etc. with better rankings on the search engine results page. All you need to do is outrank the other people writing about your subject, which isn't that hard. I go to this blogging class occasionally and there are a lot of weird things people blog about that get pretty consistent high traffic. I used to have a blog about resources for unsigned recording artists and I had it up to around 50k new hits per month within a year. Do it yourself hobby blogs are usually do well, people always want to learn how to make things. I had a friend who blogged about Provencal French lifestyle in the United States and she was killing it, close to a million views per year. Kind of hard to give suggestions without knowing what areas you're knowledgeable in.
Tigerstar7 On February 03, 2024

#11New Post! Mar 22, 2015 @ 00:29:36
The Vlogbrothers have other projects, but they sort of do.
MainerMikeBrown On April 19, 2021

Hiram, Maine
#12New Post! Mar 24, 2015 @ 21:56:33
Even if you are able to make a full-time living via blogging, you probably would need to have a part-time job on the side to supplement your income.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs