Rants & Raves

in customer service? they use the phrase "i'm sorry" too much

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#1New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 14:29:11
when i worked a few jobs in "customer service" here in the states, whenever there's a irate client or patient, we are SCRIPTED to say "I'm sorry this happened to you."

I had a problem with my insurance company, due to the "right hand not knowing what the hands doing" or plain trying to "sell themselves or the company" without knowing what they were truly talking about.

My mom always taught me not to say "I'm sorry" unless you truly mean it.. whenever i had a ticked off client, i usually said: "Okay, let me see what i can do to fix this problem".. sitting there apologizing but doing nothing to remedy the situation doesn't fly in my book..
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#2New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 14:32:23
@ultranewbie Said

when i worked a few jobs in "customer service" here in the states, whenever there's a irate client or patient, we are SCRIPTED to say "I'm sorry this happened to you."

I had a problem with my insurance company, due to the "right hand not knowing what the hands doing" or plain trying to "sell themselves or the company" without knowing what they were truly talking about.

My mom always taught me not to say "I'm sorry" unless you truly mean it.. whenever i had a ticked off client, i usually said: "Okay, let me see what i can do to fix this problem".. sitting there apologizing but doing nothing to remedy the situation doesn't fly in my book..

i think you can still say it, and mean it, in a customer service arena. i guess it really depends on your inflections when saying it to a client.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 14:36:04
@ssnot_me Said

i think you can still say it, and mean it, in a customer service arena. i guess it really depends on your inflections when saying it to a client.

This. I mean you can be sorry it happened to them even if you can't do much to help them.
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 14:48:56
I'm sorry you feel this way lol
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#5New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 14:54:07
@ultranewbie Said

It is nice to have my suspicion that they are not sincere when they say that they are sorry confirmed, and I, suspecting that the check-out guy really does not care that I have found everything, asked him, and he assured me that they make him say it. In such a context, saying that you are sorry when you really are not sorry is both rude and offensive. So, if I have ever told you that I am sorry, I am sorry.
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#6New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 15:23:33
@Erimitus Said

It is nice to have my suspicion that they are not sincere when they say that they are sorry confirmed, and I, suspecting that the check-out guy really does not care that I have found everything, asked him, and he assured me that they make him say it. In such a context, saying that you are sorry when you really are not sorry is both rude and offensive. So, if I have ever told you that I am sorry, I am sorry.

yep, i'm the same way.. when i hear about someone being screwed over, and i represented that company.. yes, i was sincere - and backed it up by fixing the situation or finding someone who could do so.. not just sit there and do a *kanye shrug* as we say in the states - and then... "NEXT"!!
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#7New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 15:44:29
I would rather they say sorry even if they don't mean it,apologizing on your companies behalf makes one appear as having at least a little bit of interest.

Disinterested and lazy shop assistants is my number one pet hate,here they just shrug and turn their back on you.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#8New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 18:06:07
"I'm sorry our service is so s***ty. Truly, I am so SORRY!!" - Can't get anymore sincere than that!

#9New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 18:59:04
@sTreetAngeL Said

"I'm sorry our service is so s***ty. Truly, I am so SORRY!!" - Can't get anymore sincere than that!

There is some advantage to sincerity, and the ability to truly fake sincerity, is a requisite of success in almost any endevor.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#10New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 19:04:34
When I was in customer service, I was usually sorry someone was having problems. I mean everyone's life is easier when things don't go wrong.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#11New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 19:11:28
I usually tell them that if they read off the script and tell me "I'm sorry" one more time then they will lose my business. If they do, I follow through and then lodge a complaint with management. It hasn't made a dent in the industry wide standard, but maybe if more people did it then it would.

The problem is that when there is a customer service problem it usually requires an unscripted response. I abhor dealing with companies that do not provide their employees enough training to be able to speak without a script. I would hate to work for such a company.

#12New Post! Mar 17, 2011 @ 21:55:11
@plebian_angel Said

When I was in customer service, I was usually sorry someone was having problems. I mean everyone's life is easier when things don't go wrong.

yeah, but you are nice, some people are not.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Mar 18, 2011 @ 00:23:22
We never had a script. But I would apologise, mainly if I couldn't do what they wanted, or if someone had told them the wrong thing etc, because I would be sorry I couldn't help.

If the customer was really irate - shouting and threatening or swearing - it would be one warning and the putting the phone down though.

Anyone who was snotty or rude would get minimum help, people who were polite, I would go out of my way for them
jismo On August 09, 2012

bismarck, North Dakota
#14New Post! Mar 18, 2011 @ 00:46:28
My reaction is usually "Don't apologize, fix it" most of the time it isn't their fault anyway which makes it kinda ridiculous for them to apologize. But I guess when you work for a company you represent that company making all problems your problems and all faults in part your fault as well.

#15New Post! Mar 18, 2011 @ 00:54:40
Once upon a time, long ago, and far away, I had a job repairing refrigerators. We had a basic service charge of $20; that was for just walking in the door. The only time I charge a customer the $20 was when they were rude. I called it a nagger’s fee. I would think to myself, enjoy being rude, it is costing you $20. It may be best to be nice to service people; it might be costing you.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs