Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#1New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 14:47:18
Net Neutrality is the principle that ISPs should give all web sites and services equal use of the bandwidth consumers purchase from them. For example, Google should not get traffic priority over, say, TFS when it comes to sharing bandwidth to users.

Many ISPs, particularly cable companies, are lobbying hard for the ability to throttle bandwidth depending on who it's coming from and how much they're paying. For example, they want to be able to limit Hulu traffic severely so that they can sell their customers their own streaming TV services. They want to be able to threaten to cut off Google and Youtube bandwidth unless Google pays them big bucks.

What's the big danger, you say? Imagine this scenario, courtesy of Gizmodo.

lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#2New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 14:55:55
I know my ISP server which is a cable company throttles many of the websites I visit and I've called them up on it. It got me nowhere.
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#3New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 14:58:39
I hope nothing changes. If I'm reading it correctly, we'll have to pay extra for our Internet service if we use certain sites?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#4New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:00:26
@Panda Said

I hope nothing changes. If I'm reading it correctly, we'll have to pay extra for our Internet service if we use certain sites?

That's what the ISPs want. There's big debate in government right now. Consumer groups and web sites are pushing hard for the government to pass Net Neutrality legislation, but the big ISPs are pushing hard against it.

I fear that the side with the most dollars to spend will win.
vicki On May 28, 2010

Deleted

manhattan,
#5New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:00:30
Just too many national carriers today for that to become a reality----every major phone co. providing net services now
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#6New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:03:59
Well I "don't pay" for my internet anyway. (It's part of a call package thing), but even if this does happen, wouldn't we be able to just use proxies, from countries with scary governments? Like China, or north Korea?
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#7New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:06:05
I use AT&T. Pretty big company. I'll be furious if they change my plan!
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#8New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:07:31
@vicki Said

Just too many national carriers today for that to become a reality----every major phone co. providing net services now

And the vast majority of people in the US have exactly one choice for phone service. In my area, it's Verizon or nothing. Time Warner Cable is the only other company offering broadband.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#9New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:09:03
@deefXckingjay Said

Well I "don't pay" for my internet anyway. (It's part of a call package thing), but even if this does happen, wouldn't we be able to just use proxies, from countries with scary governments? Like China, or north Korea?

Have you ever used a proxy?

Slow slow slow. You'll never be watching Hulu over a proxy.

Plus, the companies can and will just limit your bandwidth anyway. No proxy can help with that.

And with the companies spending real money to find and block proxies, you'll not be finding many open proxies and they will probably get blocked quickly.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#10New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:09:14
@Panda Said

I use AT&T. Pretty big company. I'll be furious if they change my plan!

Bah, AT&T are already practicing internet censorship. Good luck.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#11New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:12:40
Never heard of this before now. I suppose it'll come to the US before hitting anywhere else... And that's if it happens. But I don't understand... That internet isn't owned by anyone. It's public. So how can certain ISP's charge people for using certain websites on the internet?
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#12New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:13:03
@deefXckingjay Said

Bah, AT&T are already practicing internet censorship. Good luck.

I didn't know that. My service went up $5 last month. I was not happy.
vicki On May 28, 2010

Deleted

manhattan,
#13New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:15:23
@jonnythan Said

And the vast majority of people in the US have exactly one choice for phone service. In my area, it's Verizon or nothing. Time Warner Cable is the only other company offering broadband.

Yes, certain areas limit the cable carrier, but locatl and Nation phone companies are not under area contracts. Probably in the near future Communication companies will provide Net services.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#14New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:22:57
@vicki Said

Yes, certain areas limit the cable carrier, but locatl and Nation phone companies are not under area contracts. Probably in the near future Communication companies will provide Net services.

Very very few people in the US have any real choice beyond "DSL from the phone company" or "cable internet from the cable company." Many don't even have that much choice.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I'm confident you don't quite understand the situation.
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#15New Post! Oct 28, 2009 @ 15:31:33
@Tako_400 Said

Never heard of this before now. I suppose it'll come to the US before hitting anywhere else... And that's if it happens. But I don't understand... That internet isn't owned by anyone. It's public. So how can certain ISP's charge people for using certain websites on the internet?

It doesn't matter if the internet is owned by anybody or not because you still have to pay an ISP to access it and use their bandwidth. Right now they throttle the bandwidth of some sites to give more bandwidth to their sites. If a net neutrality law is passed in the US then US based carriers will no longer be allowed to do that.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs