The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Soon to be the next on the endangered species list?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#1New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:46:46
"Their habitat beset by logging in Mexico and their numbers by milkweed eradication and pesticide mortality in the U.S., the monarch butterfly has decreased in population so much that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) is considering its inclusion on the list of endangered species."
Read more at https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/01/02/sad-start-2015-monarch-butterfly-could-be-put-endangered-species-list-158538

I'm planting more milkweed this spring.
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#2New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 01:49:36
So there is an animal species that eats milkweed, but we need to create chemicals to kill milkweed.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#3New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 02:00:10
@chaski Said

So there is an animal species that eats milkweed, but we need to create chemicals to kill milkweed.

Yeah, the Monarch depends on milkweed & a lone standout in the insect world- they actually migrate from Canada/usa to Mexico. Now as a biologist I easily see birds doing that, but no Monarchs can make the entire trip so their offspring instinctively find their way.

Oh yeah, milkweed soup is fantastic. I'm salivating just thinking about my mother-in-law's ininiwizhiig naboob!
twilitezone911 On March 25, 2019

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 02:13:30
in summertime, i seen these butterflies around where i lived most of my life. they are beautiful butterflies. they are friendly to be around with. i like to petted them, and they will land on your hand, and stay for awhile.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#5New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 02:22:29
@twilitezone911 Said

in summertime, i seen these butterflies around where i lived most of my life. they are beautiful butterflies. they are friendly to be around with. i like to petted them, and they will land on your hand, and stay for awhile.

There are 5 major areas where they gather in Mexico & 4 of them have had knee deep dead one's on the ground. We may very well see the extinction of Monarchs in our life time- and all because of human causes.
Sifr On February 13, 2015

, India
#6New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 05:35:02
I think there's something wrong with the definition of 'endangered species'. If I'm not mistaken, species are labelled as endangered when their population falls below a critical limit or some form of habitat destruction occurs.
However, consider humans for example. We number around 6 billion. Surely, given the present scientific criteria, we're far from making it to the endangered species list. But look at where we stand. With weapons of mass destruction, wholesale pollution and environmental degradation, we're just a step away from total annihilation. This must qualify us as not only as an endangered species but also a dangerous species. Right?
I think the whole Monarch butterfly issue misses the point completely. We should have an endangered species list and we should be number 1 on the list but we should also have a list of 'dangerous' species and there too we should be number 1. Perhaps if we shift our perspective this way, we will recognize ourselves as the true threat and encourage us to address the real problem-humans.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 17:05:26
@Sifr Said

I think there's something wrong with the definition of 'endangered species'. If I'm not mistaken, species are labelled as endangered when their population falls below a critical limit or some form of habitat destruction occurs.
However, consider humans for example. We number around 6 billion. Surely, given the present scientific criteria, we're far from making it to the endangered species list. But look at where we stand. With weapons of mass destruction, wholesale pollution and environmental degradation, we're just a step away from total annihilation. This must qualify us as not only as an endangered species but also a dangerous species. Right?
I think the whole Monarch butterfly issue misses the point completely. We should have an endangered species list and we should be number 1 on the list but we should also have a list of 'dangerous' species and there too we should be number 1. Perhaps if we shift our perspective this way, we will recognize ourselves as the true threat and encourage us to address the real problem-humans.

Meh! Losing the entire human population would only be a positive effect for the whole world.
As natural things go-human's are the only one's that have not found their proper (I'd say have lost their proper) niche in the world.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#8New Post! Jan 03, 2015 @ 23:18:36
@shinobinoz Said

Meh! Losing the entire human population would only be a positive effect for the whole world.
As natural things go-human's are the only one's that have not found their proper (I'd say have lost their proper) niche in the world.

Maybe we should all follow your lead. It may happen.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#9New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 00:20:52
@Hypnotica Said

Maybe we should all follow your lead. It may happen.

As First Nation's we are to try to be part of Creation. Not better than, nor worse than- just part of. Sadly modern humans are being worse than.
Sifr On February 13, 2015

, India
#10New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 10:34:47
@shinobinoz Said

Deleting the human race from earth might appear to restore the natural balance of the ecosystem but look what happened after the dinosaurs got wiped out. Humans rose to prominence and upset the balance. Who is to say that after we're gone there won't arise another species that will repeat this folly.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#11New Post! Jan 04, 2015 @ 12:46:46
@Sifr Said

Deleting the human race from earth might appear to restore the natural balance of the ecosystem but look what happened after the dinosaurs got wiped out. Humans rose to prominence and upset the balance. Who is to say that after we're gone there won't arise another species that will repeat this folly.

I don't think the dinosaurs were considered out of balance. We are. Who knows what might take place.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#12New Post! Jan 06, 2015 @ 06:00:24
I see the butterfly parade each year in Pacific Grove and the numbers have gone down significantly. Sad to see in town nicknamed butterfly town, USA.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#13New Post! Jan 06, 2015 @ 19:32:33
@shinobinoz Said

Yeah, the Monarch depends on milkweed & a lone standout in the insect world- they actually migrate from Canada/usa to Mexico. Now as a biologist I easily see birds doing that, but no Monarchs can make the entire trip so their offspring instinctively find their way.

Oh yeah, milkweed soup is fantastic. I'm salivating just thinking about my mother-in-law's ininiwizhiig naboob!

Monarch Butterflies Migration Google Earth Tour
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#14New Post! Jan 06, 2015 @ 23:32:46
@shinobinoz Said

There are 5 major areas where they gather in Mexico & 4 of them have had knee deep dead one's on the ground. We may very well see the extinction of Monarchs in our life time- and all because of human causes.

Seriously?! I live in BC, so the Monarchs start their journey around my area, but all the ones up here seem to be doing alright. Then again, we haven't seen as many making the return flight the past few years. That's really concerning because they really amazing insects.

I had one land on my finger once and it even stayed there when I very slowly and carefully brought it closer to my face to examine its whole body. Its little proboscis unfurled and lightly tickled the top of my finger at one point. It was really cool.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#15New Post! Jan 07, 2015 @ 01:15:41
@Willi Said

Monarch Butterflies Migration Google Earth Tour

Thanks Willi!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others