Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...150 151 152 · >>
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#16New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 00:24:42
@crazylikeafox Said

See, THIS is why no 1 responds to this kind of topic. You compare any Indian who dares disagree with you to Blacks supporting slavery, and any thought that might differ from yours, even slightly, is met with accusations that the poster would've sided with the segregationists. If we know this is what we're going to get, then why SHOULD we respond? It's obvious you don't really want our opinions anyways.

Racism I will always fight against tooth & nail my friend. I explained. Since that did not work. A little cyberknock upside the head might!

@crazylikeafox Said

I was hoping he'd run for Governor. Though, I still find it a little dishonest that he switched parties mid-term.

Me as well. Stay as you were elected (your constituants choice) and switch when the primary comes back 'round if that is the way you feel!
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#17New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 01:30:55
@shinobinoz Said

Racism I will always fight against tooth & nail my friend. I explained. Since that did not work. A little cyberknock upside the head might!

Me as well. Stay as you were elected (your constituants choice) and switch when the primary comes back 'round if that is the way you feel!

But there's no reason at all to assume the poster is racist, so to claim she'd side with the segregationists is really quite unfair. All she said was the Utes have no problem with, and indeed endorse, the use of the mascot. It's a very fair statement. After all, I've heard Indians say they have no problem with it if they get permission from the tribe, and this is EXACTLY that.
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#18New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 01:59:16
How would everyone feel if a black or Hispanic person were a team's mascot?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#19New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:04:30
@crazylikeafox Said

But there's no reason at all to assume the poster is racist, so to claim she'd side with the segregationists is really quite unfair. All she said was the Utes have no problem with, and indeed endorse, the use of the mascot. It's a very fair statement. After all, I've heard Indians say they have no problem with it if they get permission from the tribe, and this is EXACTLY that.

Sorry! This colonial divide and conquer attitude really must stop. We are decades past that I thought!
Using a race as a mascot by different races IS RACISM.
Try as hard as you might- you cannot whitewash that fact.
And that is EXACTLY that!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#20New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:05:16
@annski729 Said

Would'nt fly would it?
How ya been?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#21New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:14:28
@shinobinoz Said

Would'nt fly would it?
How ya been?

again a big divide here is, hispanic and african folks are a part of the folks we see in town.
we don't see many first nations folks in towns other then near tribal land.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#22New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:49:58
I am about to sound dumb but, is it that they still use Native mascots that is offensive or the way they are being portrayed that is offensive?

I only ask because maybe some have the name of something native to celebrate the native roots in that area while some might take something special to the Natives and use it in a racist way.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#23New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 04:57:54
@DorkySupergirl Said

I am about to sound dumb but, is it that they still use Native mascots that is offensive or the way they are being portrayed that is offensive?

I only ask because maybe some have the name of something native to celebrate the native roots in that area while some might take something special to the Natives and use it in a racist way.

the washington redskins got their name to honor the first nations coach.
the chicago blackhawks to honor chief blackhawk.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#24New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 05:04:47
@Willi Said

Thank you for that, I was not aware.

But was it not Chicago Blackhaw fans who made fun of Natives with a chant they did or at least, people were upset because it seemed that way.
Olivia_Kelly On March 04, 2011

#25New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 05:09:03
@annski729 Said

My high school mascot was a don...like Zorro.

But what about Cowboys, Aztecs, Saints. Are those mascots offensive? They single out a group of people..
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#26New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 05:15:18
@shinobinoz Said

Chi-migwetch!
Yes- speak out about it when you see racism. Do it gently because most people don't even realise that they are in fact condoning racism in their schools, community, nationwide. It has gone on far too long since the civil rigths battles of the 60's and 70's (which me & my family participated in) for good people to avoid speaking out for the most endangered minority of americans.
The nation's capital for start must change it's @edskin racist name. We got it, we know your people won (as wrong & unfairly as they did). Why continue to rub it in?
Washington was the last holdout in allowing blacks to play in the NFL.
I think one of the signs held by the supporters of that racism period speaks volumes and was not even comprehended by 99.9% of americans including people in the civil rights side.
It read:
"KEEP THE REDSKINS- WHITE!"
This is a good read:
https://race.change.org/blog/view/wisconsin_becomes_the_first_state_to_outlaw_indian_mascots

A timeline (stops about 2003)
https://www.nativevillage.org/Messages%20from%20the%20People/timeline%20for%20Indian%20Mascots.htm

That is a positive story from Wisconsin, especially since the history of the state has always been so negative towards all minorities in all ways .
That ridiculous sign about keeping the football team white is a triangle of stupidity , if you get my drift,,, someone sure had their heads screwed on crooked when they made up that sign or maybe they were partaking of some really high grade wacky baccy .

According to the 'Time Line" link , progress is slowly being made. I have no idea the count of schools in the begining that were using racist mascots nor do I know how many are still needng to change theirs .

----------------------

n/a, New Mexico
#27New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 05:24:41
shinobinoz,

I have been doing a little research on the schools in my part of the sate I live in .
Could you pass on a link that I can pass on to the school board and athletic departments of a few schools that have Offensive mascots ?
raditz On April 20, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#28New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 06:28:09
@Willi Said

The Blackhawks' first owner was coffee tycoon Frederic McLaughlin. He had been a commander with the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86th Infantry Division during World War I.[2] This Division was nicknamed the "Blackhawk Division", after a Native American of the Sauk nation, Chief Black Hawk, who was a prominent figure in the history of Illinois.[2] McLaughlin evidently named the hockey team in honor of the military unit, making it one of many sports team names using Native Americans as icons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Blackhawks

It was named to honor the owner's former military unit, not Chief Blackhawk.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#29New Post! Oct 13, 2010 @ 08:57:02
@shinobinoz Said

Sorry! This colonial divide and conquer attitude really must stop. We are decades past that I thought!
Using a race as a mascot by different races IS RACISM.
Try as hard as you might- you cannot whitewash that fact.
And that is EXACTLY that!

I understand your viewpoint, and I'm well aware not all Indians think alike, but do you? That's the thing. You WANT this to be an either or debate. Either you agree 100% with Shinobinoz, or you're a racist (if White)/ Uncle Tom (if Indian). Not all Indians agree with you, and not all Whites fit into those 2 categories. Deal with that fact, or find yourself without allies. It's all really up to you.

n/a, New Mexico
#30New Post! Oct 14, 2010 @ 01:53:10
The letter head for the High school has the this image on both sides facing each other

and the sports teams are called 'The
Warriors" The middle school and grade school in the same town have an image of a bust of a Native american man with one feather in his headband and are called 'The Braves'.
So , do you have one or more links that I can pass onto these schools ? I have never been inside of either school buildings and don't know anyone personally that is affiliated with that school system , but on the web site for the schools there is a 'contact us' link .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 ...150 151 152 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs