News & Current Events

Manchester the latest targer

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
shadowen On March 22, 2024

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#1New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 05:13:29
"Nineteen people have been killed and more than 50 injured in a suspected terror attack at Manchester Arena.

The blast happened at 22:35 BST on Monday following a pop concert by the US singer Ariana Grande. "

- BBC

Another sad day...

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#2New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 05:14:15
"Manchester the latest targer"

Obviously should read "target"
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#3New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 11:48:05
Latest report I've seen is 22 dead and one 23 year old man arrested. At least another 59 injured.

I feel for the English people. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this and bring the perpetrator or perpetrators to quick justice.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#4New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 12:00:45
https://www.yahoo.com/news/live-updates-multiple-fatalities-blast-ariana-grande-concert-manchester-arena-000236450.html

Quote:
At least 22 people have died and more than 59 injured after what Theresa May described as an “appalling terror attack” at the Manchester Arena during an Ariana Grande pop concert.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#5New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 17:23:58
@Eaglebauer Said

Latest report I've seen is 22 dead and one 23 year old man arrested. At least another 59 injured.

I feel for the English people. Hopefully they will get to the bottom of this and bring the perpetrator or perpetrators to quick justice.

ISIS is supposedly claiming responsibility for the attack. The security at the concert apparently just did bag check and didn't do any pat-downs or coat checks, according to some of the concert-goers Twitter feeds.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#6New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 17:41:01
@psycoskunk Said

ISIS is supposedly claiming responsibility for the attack. The security at the concert apparently just did bag check and didn't do any pat-downs or coat checks, according to some of the concert-goers Twitter feeds.

Just a shame all around.

psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#7New Post! May 23, 2017 @ 18:02:09
So here's my plan:

*Save up as much money as I can.

*Buy some land way the f*** out in the bush.

*Build an awesome off-grid house and stock it with supplies.

*Attempt to wait out the inevitable *Apocalypse.

Anyone who wants to build a place on the land would be more than welcome, so long as everyone can get along. And anyone who's not friendly will be shown no mercy. Who's with me?

*By which I mean the 'non-Biblical Apocalypse,' which really wasn't much of a prediction. *Places a book against his forehead and begins speaking in a Southern pastor voice.* "I predict that one day humani-tah will get tired of each other's s*** and everything will go down hill-ah! At some point in the future we will have POWERFUL weapons with which we can use to violently subjugate and rule one another from thousands of miles away-ah and eventually, the oppressed masses will have enough and fight back-ah, and there will be fire, blood, tears and death. A clashing of ideals THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEEEN BEFORE-AH!!!! And when that happens and the world is on the brink of collapse and the few unfortunate survivors who are left wander the planet aimlessly, searching for the one single paradise still left, the living will truly envy the dead, but by then it shall be too late.Amen!"

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#8New Post! May 24, 2017 @ 11:01:30
"The security at the concert apparently just did bag check and didn't do any pat-downs or coat checks"

The reports I have read state that the explosive device was detonated outside of the security zone.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#9New Post! May 24, 2017 @ 11:06:22
Hats off to the police and ambos who rushed to the scene not knowing if there were any other explosive devices in the area. In truth we simply expect the police to put their lives on the line for us, something they do on a daily basis. We shouldn't however take the risks they take on our behalf for granted.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#10New Post! May 24, 2017 @ 11:09:04
On the police and other emergency services...at scenes like the one that would have confronted them in Manchester they are faced with sights that few people will ever witness. The impact these sights can have on their emotional/mental health can be significant, not only in the short term but in the long term as well. It is yet another price they pay on our behalf.

Bunyip Bend, Australia
#11New Post! May 24, 2017 @ 11:10:52
And as is often the case it takes a terrible event like the bombing in Manchester to be reminded that their are still good people out there, like the homeless man who rushed to the site and provided help to the victims until the ambos were able to take over.
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#12New Post! May 24, 2017 @ 11:46:37
@shadowen Said

And as is often the case it takes a terrible event like the bombing in Manchester to be reminded that their are still good people out there, like the homeless man who rushed to the site and provided help to the victims until the ambos were able to take over.

Absolutely.

I always liked Patton Oswalt's comment after the Boston Marathon bombing:

Quote:
I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, "Well, I've had it with humanity."

But I was wrong. I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.

But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we're lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they're pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We'd have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, "The good outnumber you, and we always will."

These are the kinds of messages people need to hear in times like this.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#13New Post! May 25, 2017 @ 15:15:48
Britain has suspended intelligence sharing on the Manchester bombing with the US after American officials leaked information to the media, an issue that British Prime Minister Theresa May will raise with US President Donald Trump later Thursday.

US officials released the suspected bomber's name and other details of the investigation into the deadly attack at the Manchester Arena Monday night, irking British investigators scrambling to keep details of the probe confidential.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/25/europe/manchester-terror-attack-uk/index.html

I wasn't aware that that type of information was intended to be kept secret.

Can't necessarily *blame* Trump for this.

What did the public gain from this knowledge at this time? Of course the media is going to try to be the FIRST with the information.

In this case, the leak does appear to be damaging.

Unlike other leaks that are revealing and creating transparency (revealing potential criminal offenses).
chaski On April 19, 2024
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#14New Post! May 25, 2017 @ 16:21:12
@mrmhead Said

I wasn't aware that that type of information was intended to be kept secret.

Can't necessarily *blame* Trump for this.

In the early stages of an investigation (especially investigations of things like "terrorism", serial murders, and "foreign counter intelligence" ) this type of information is kept out of the news because if it is put out in the media too soon it tips off the bad guys.

While the media has a responsibility to report the news, they have lost all ability to use discretion (if they ever had any) in what they report.

There are, at least arguably, some occasions when the leaking of sensitive information is appropriate. However, leaking information about sensitive terrorism investigations is almost never acceptable. The U.S. intelligence official(s) that "leak" this sort of information to the press should be fired and prosecuted. IMO.

Trump: You are correct that, at least at this point, Trump can't be blamed. On the other hand there seems to be more and more of this leaking, much of which Trump and his proverbial inner circle are clearly responsible for.
mrmhead On March 27, 2024

NE, Ohio
#15New Post! May 25, 2017 @ 16:41:37
@chaski Said

In the early stages of an investigation (especially investigations of things like "terrorism", serial murders, and "foreign counter intelligence" ) this type of information is kept out of the news because if it is put out in the media too soon it tips off the bad guys.

While the media has a responsibility to report the news, they have lost all ability to use discretion (if they ever had any) in what they report.

There are, at least arguably, some occasions when the leaking of sensitive information is appropriate. However, leaking information about sensitive terrorism investigations is almost never acceptable. The U.S. intelligence official(s) that "leak" this sort of information to the press should be fired and prosecuted. IMO.

Trump: You are correct that, at least at this point, Trump can't be blamed. On the other hand there seems to be more and more of this leaking, much of which Trump and his proverbial inner circle are clearly responsible for.

Yeah, I understand the importance of keeping quiet on information about active investigations, in general.

I was just referring to this case at this time - When I read it I didn't get impression that it was "leaked secrets"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs