Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9 10 · >>
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#121New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 07:59:44
@shinobinoz Said

Though I mostly agree with you El Tino. If you ask anyone who is black, red, yellow, brown, white- they can do a pretty good job separating by skin tone.

Hence why it exists sociologically.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#122New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 17:48:48
@shinobinoz Said

"We, who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues.
How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own
coloration?
What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well."

~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi ~

@shinobinoz Said

?If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man, he would have made me so in the first place.
He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, and in my heart he put
other and different desires.
Each man is good in His sight.
It is not necessary for eagles to be crows.?
Sitting Bull, 1883

Very inspiring and sensible, but ultimately these quotes reflect a genuine belief in the seperation and distinction of human races. The differences between people across different regions and lineages is superficial. They are not as sharp as the difference between eagles and crows, although some people find such a notion appealing for some reason.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#123New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:35:43
@eL_TinO Said

Hence why it exists sociologically.

Color tone of skin is a sociological creation? Strange- I always thought it was biologically evolution response that modified melatonin levels in "races" of people?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#124New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:38:20
@buffalobill90 Said

Very inspiring and sensible, but ultimately these quotes reflect a genuine belief in the seperation and distinction of human races. The differences between people across different regions and lineages is superficial. They are not as sharp as the difference between eagles and crows, although some people find such a notion appealing for some reason.

You will have to put your reasoning back 100 years ago and further and remember that while First Nation's tried to get along and accept the alien invasions ways- their own was being punished and the cause for thier ethnic cleansing and genocide. Given that- what appeal would that leave for you?
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#125New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 11:44:46
@shinobinoz Said

Color tone of skin is a sociological creation? Strange- I always thought it was biologically evolution response that modified melatonin levels in "races" of people?

No, the ability for people to categorise things into groups and generalise is a biological tendency; it alows us to give names to certain groups of objects, which is extremely useful. The categorisation of people into "races" according to appearance is a side-effect of this tendency, and it is a sociological phenomenon.

Differences in skin tone, face stucture, hair colour etc. are all gradual variations and you cannot actually come up with clear rules of how to categorise people into distinct groups using them as criteria.

Differences in culture, being artificial, are usually a lot more clear cut. So it isn't wrong to say that you are part of a Native American culture, but it is wrong to say that you are part of a Native American race.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#126New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 18:44:44
@shinobinoz Said

No, race is a sociological construct.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#127New Post! Jan 27, 2010 @ 03:34:10
@eL_TinO Said

No, race is a sociological construct.

Then you best have all of the biology books remove the term as it is used for all types of animals.
Unless you suggest animals have sociological construct for their differences.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#128New Post! Jan 27, 2010 @ 07:51:51
@shinobinoz Said

Then you best have all of the biology books remove the term as it is used for all types of animals.
Unless you suggest animals have sociological construct for their differences.

In humans it is, not necessarily in animals. I've already covered this in previous posts.
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#129New Post! Jan 27, 2010 @ 07:53:10
If you don't believe me, then explain to me in detail what, specifically, is the biological meaning of race in humans.