Introversion/Extroversion

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#1New Post! Jul 12, 2014 @ 10:18:49
Introverts apparently have cognitive functions introverted so they look inwards.

And Extroverts vice, versa.

What the hell does this actually mean.

Yeah I focus on the outer world not my inner world. But as I cant swap minds with an introvert what the hell does this actually mean in simple man terms.

Like if I go down the street, Im focussing on whats going on around me, the sights, sounds, smells etc.

But how would this experience be different for an introvert who focuses on their "inner world"???????????

And what the hell is an "inner world"?
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Jul 12, 2014 @ 19:47:20
Just about everyone going down the street will focus on the sights, sounds, smells that surround them. An introvert might pay extra attention to how these sights and smells make them feel. Introverts are very self-aware and spend a lot of time reflecting the external world inward, i.e. not just noticing the smells but thinking perhaps of previous experiences associated with them, how those experiences made them feel, how that relates to how they're feeling at the moment they encounter the smells, etc.

A lot of this is open to interpretation, and introversion/extroversion is typically thought of on a continuum rather than a dichotomy. As a self-identified introvert, I think of an inner world as a place where I can get lost in my thoughts. I spend a lot of my time thinking and reflecting on what's going on around me, how I feel, etc. rather than expressing this outwardly to other people or in my behavior.
Emskie On April 14, 2023

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 12, 2014 @ 20:06:08
@annski729 Said

Just about everyone going down the street will focus on the sights, sounds, smells that surround them. An introvert might pay extra attention to how these sights and smells make them feel. Introverts are very self-aware and spend a lot of time reflecting the external world inward, i.e. not just noticing the smells but thinking perhaps of previous experiences associated with them, how those experiences made them feel, how that relates to how they're feeling at the moment they encounter the smells, etc.

A lot of this is open to interpretation, and introversion/extroversion is typically thought of on a continuum rather than a dichotomy. As a self-identified introvert, I think of an inner world as a place where I can get lost in my thoughts. I spend a lot of my time thinking and reflecting on what's going on around me, how I feel, etc. rather than expressing this outwardly to other people or in my behavior.

I am very similar to you, but thank you for wording it far more accurately that I would have been able to!
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#4New Post! Jul 12, 2014 @ 22:58:05
@Emskie Said

I am very similar to you, but thank you for wording it far more accurately that I would have been able to!

I struggled too It's hard to explain it without using the usual language.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#5New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 00:16:38
I am predominantly extroverted, but I fall somewhere in the middle between the two. I feel energized when socializing, working with small groups of people and going out with friends. Cities, shopping, parties, and places with people unfamiliar to me are uncomfortable and exhausting. I also require at least an hour of alone time per day, I get very cranky without 1 - 2 hours to be by myself. I also can't "turn on" my social skills like super extroverts. When I have had enough, the people around me know.
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#6New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 00:17:45
Well, from the counseling point of view, introverts process things internally, and extroverts externally. When a an introvert has an issue they are trying to work out, they need time to think quietly about it without distraction until they have processed it, then they can express their thoughts. An extrovert on the other hand has a much harder time coming up with a solution without someone to bounce it off of. They don't really process it until they talk it through and then they can understand it more cognitively.

Also, how a person re-vamps or re-energizes can be a big clue. I go to a dark quiet room to be alone and daydream or whatever. I love my friends and family, I definitely have times I want to be around people, but I have to mentally prepare myself to spend that time with them, I get more exhausted as the time goes on, and I won't re-energize until I have had some time alone. About 3 hours with most people is my limit. There are limited exceptions, like my best friend, but she is very similar to me and we can sit in silence together and it not be awkward, so we sit on her deck, near a lake, away from the sounds, and talk some (usually in soft voices) and sit some, and that is re-energizing compared to most social interactions.

An extrovert though is more likely to start feeling exhausted from boredom when there is no one to talk to, no one to hang out with, not enough stimulation, etc. They would be all wound up after a night at a club or other social activity (that would completely overwhelm an introvert)

As a general but less hard and fast rule, extroverts like more sensory input too. Loud music, bright lights and colors, etc. are pleasing to them. It makes the environment interesting. Those things can be quite overwhelming to an introvert who tends to prefer less sensory input.

Not sure if any of that is new information or not, but maybe it helps.
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#7New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 00:45:46
@alk1975 Said

Well, from the counseling point of view, introverts process things internally, and extroverts externally. When a an introvert has an issue they are trying to work out, they need time to think quietly about it without distraction until they have processed it, then they can express their thoughts. An extrovert on the other hand has a much harder time coming up with a solution without someone to bounce it off of. They don't really process it until they talk it through and then they can understand it more cognitively.

Yeah I agree with that. I find it easier to discuss things with people. Although it does kind of get annoying that I know someone and he just tells me I need to think more or that I dont think. Its quite insulting actually.

Quote:

Also, how a person re-vamps or re-energizes can be a big clue. I go to a dark quiet room to be alone and daydream or whatever. I love my friends and family, I definitely have times I want to be around people, but I have to mentally prepare myself to spend that time with them, I get more exhausted as the time goes on, and I won't re-energize until I have had some time alone. About 3 hours with most people is my limit. There are limited exceptions, like my best friend, but she is very similar to me and we can sit in silence together and it not be awkward, so we sit on her deck, near a lake, away from the sounds, and talk some (usually in soft voices) and sit some, and that is re-energizing compared to most social interactions.

An extrovert though is more likely to start feeling exhausted from boredom when there is no one to talk to, no one to hang out with, not enough stimulation, etc. They would be all wound up after a night at a club or other social activity (that would completely overwhelm an introvert)

As a general but less hard and fast rule, extroverts like more sensory input too. Loud music, bright lights and colors, etc. are pleasing to them. It makes the environment interesting. Those things can be quite overwhelming to an introvert who tends to prefer less sensory input.

Although that bit isnt new information. I do understand it better, the same guy I mentioned just above, one night out, it got to 3am in a night club and he was saying that he was exhausted, he said "exhausted not tired". Where as I was actually just warming up at that point and was in quite an energetic state. Killing the night so soon was annoying as I just ended up laying awake on a hotel bed unable to discharge energy from the night.

But he had left his car at the car park at the hotel I was staying at and needed me to go back so that he could get it out as I had a room key.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#8New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 04:49:22
A different way of viewing this:
**An Extrovert ACTS, with little or no discussion ---- rarely any about feelings/emotions/doubts/confusion. Doesn't mean he/she does not have these thoughts in their head, it just means they are going to "push past" these thoughts, and ACT. The EXTROVERT will ACT AS IF- and claim that they don't lack confidence and don't get into feelings/ emotions {or thoughts about same} ------ but it doesn't mean those 'thoughts' aren't/didn't exist for a nanosecond. The extrovert doesn't give them a voice, or time ----- or at least will not claim to, will ACT AS IF they don't.

EXAMPLE 1: The ER physician (whether in a civilian hospital or on a battlefield) will have to make life-or-death triage choices. It doesn't mean there aren't nano-second thoughts of emotions/feelings/doubt/confusion. --- it's just that he/she moves past this --- and EVEN MORE, does not....or rather chooses NOT TO GO THERE discussion wise, rarely ever. It's why combat vets block all that out. There's pros and cons, of course. Also, it has to do with maintaining one's image, in all ways --- especially psychologically. It has to do with why many athletes will risk their body, and go for the win/team image --- and thse that don't are the exception.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#9New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 05:06:19
and now that youse have drug me onto the soapbox - Part II:

An introvert will personalize most everything, or lots of things. They ACT too, but they do more talk/discussion as they act. They are comfortable enough with themselves and their image of themselves at least, that they GO THERE, and don't ACT AS IF they have NO 'thoughts' about feelings/emotions/doubts/confusion,

Introverted leaders can and do make necessary decisions in timely manners - sans being emotional. At least, as much as extroverted leaders do. It's just that: extroverted leaders will not be heard saying more then ten words or less about feelings/emotions ACTING AS IF they have none, and don't care, or that their own personal feelings emotions have nothing to do with them doing their job. And that what others think/feel about what they do, as they do their job, doesn't concern them in the least, either --- because they are just there to do the job they were put in position to do.

But of course they do-- they absorb and reflect on all that, take it all in----scan it, process it, file it,file it, file it, file it, file it ---then ACT. Nano-seconds. Whether it's about thoughts of anything (feelings or emotions notwithstanding) that relate to themselves, or that relate to those around them.

Whereas, introverted leaders will make necessary decisions, and then can and will admit with more than ten words their thoughts of feelings/emotions/etc as it relates to the issue.

The extrovert MAY in actuality be a duck, but may not WALK
like a duck, or ACT like a duck, or LOOK like a duck. May
be a trojan horse for that matter. Wolf in sheep's clothes.

Whereas the introvert in ACTUALITY may be a duck --- and
ya know what? ---- does WALK like a duck, and does ACT like a duck and yup, even looks like a duck.
Is it a duck? Or is it the lamb/sheep? Or is it that dratted
wolf/predator acting as the sheep/prey?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#10New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 05:18:47
On my way off the soapbox now, right after Part III:

EXAMPLE 2: Illegal Immigrant Children/Humanitarian Crisis
Decision-Making Process. **The extrovert leader or citizen will not be heard talking about feelings/emotions as it relates to them personally. It doesn't mean they have no feelings/emotions/bias about the issue ==== it just means they are choosing NOT TO GO THERE. It's not their style, whether it is innate or learned, doesn't matter, it is what it is.

**The introvert leader or citizen will choose a side - for or against when pushed (as will the extrovert, probably without being pushed ) - but the introvert often will spend a lot of time talking about thoughts whatever those thoughts may be that are flying through their brain, about their thought process --- before they act, as they are acting, and after they act. If their thoughts are 'feelings/emotions' ... so be it.

The extrovert ACTS ---- and if they have any thoughts (including thoughts about feelings --- they will most likely ACT ON THEM without words, --or at least with behind-the-scene words/actions--- rather than talk about these thoughts of anything that is not directly related to the ACT.

****In the case of the news stories about the humanitarian issue, regardless of the extrovert's stand/opinion ... or the introvert's stand or opinion ===== it doesn't mean that one or the OTHER does not CARE about the children and their plight.

It just means that the one who DISCUSSES their thoughts (inclusive of thoughts about feelings/emotions) the most-- is the one who will be accused/labeled as being so emotional/too emotional --- overall, or in general.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#11New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 09:01:43
@Hypnotica Said

Introverts apparently have cognitive functions introverted so they look inwards.

And Extroverts vice, versa.

What the hell does this actually mean.

Yeah I focus on the outer world not my inner world. But as I cant swap minds with an introvert what the hell does this actually mean in simple man terms.

Like if I go down the street, Im focussing on whats going on around me, the sights, sounds, smells etc.

But how would this experience be different for an introvert who focuses on their "inner world"???????????

And what the hell is an "inner world"?

@alk1975 Said

Alk summed it up. Extroverts haven't lost life's immersion yet and so there for trust output from outside of them more and are eager to seek it.

Once you start questioning life, and trusting yourself more than what's around you, you grow to become introverted.

Of course there are also those who are shy or dry on material to present to people in social situations and grow up learning to get by without as much need of input from the world outside of them.

Jackson, Missouri
#12New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 14:42:37
@Electric_Banana Said

Alk summed it up. Extroverts haven't lost life's immersion yet and so there for trust output from outside of them more and are eager to seek it.

Once you start questioning life, and trusting yourself more than what's around you, you grow to become introverted.

Of course there are also those who are shy or dry on material to present to people in social situations and grow up learning to get by without as much need of input from the world outside of them.

Ummm, NO. Introversion and extroversion are personality traits that can be seen early on in a person's behavior and are typically pretty set throughout life. You are referring to when a person becomes bitter and starts isolating as a defense mechanism. Not the same thing. That actually increases a person's depression though he thinks it helps him feel better. A true introvert doesn't hide out of fear and isn't depressed about being alone.

Isolation is one of those self defeating behaviors I was telling you about though.

Also, introverts and extroverts alike can be shy. That's discomfort with social interactions, often due to a perception of one's own lack of social skills. It doesn't describe all introverts.

Jackson, Missouri
#13New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 14:46:05
@DuLu Said

A different way of viewing this:
**An Extrovert ACTS, with little or no discussion ---- rarely any about feelings/emotions/doubts/confusion. Doesn't mean he/she does not have these thoughts in their head, it just means they are going to "push past" these thoughts, and ACT. The EXTROVERT will ACT AS IF- and claim that they don't lack confidence and don't get into feelings/ emotions {or thoughts about same} ------ but it doesn't mean those 'thoughts' aren't/didn't exist for a nanosecond. The extrovert doesn't give them a voice, or time ----- or at least will not claim to, will ACT AS IF they don't.

EXAMPLE 1: The ER physician (whether in a civilian hospital or on a battlefield) will have to make life-or-death triage choices. It doesn't mean there aren't nano-second thoughts of emotions/feelings/doubt/confusion. --- it's just that he/she moves past this --- and EVEN MORE, does not....or rather chooses NOT TO GO THERE discussion wise, rarely ever. It's why combat vets block all that out. There's pros and cons, of course. Also, it has to do with maintaining one's image, in all ways --- especially psychologically. It has to do with why many athletes will risk their body, and go for the win/team image --- and thse that don't are the exception.

I don't know that I agree with that. A person can be very outgoing and extroverted and get very in their emotions too. Other's can be very introverted and not show much emotional sensitivity. They really are two different facets of personality although there is some correlation to the two as you have observed. Introverts are more likely to be emotionally sensitive.

Jackson, Missouri
#14New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 15:10:27
@DuLu Said

and now that youse have drug me onto the soapbox - Part II:

An introvert will personalize most everything, or lots of things. They ACT too, but they do more talk/discussion as they act. They are comfortable enough with themselves and their image of themselves at least, that they GO THERE, and don't ACT AS IF they have NO 'thoughts' about feelings/emotions/doubts/confusion,

Introverted leaders can and do make necessary decisions in timely manners - sans being emotional. At least, as much as extroverted leaders do. It's just that: extroverted leaders will not be heard saying more then ten words or less about feelings/emotions ACTING AS IF they have none, and don't care, or that their own personal feelings emotions have nothing to do with them doing their job. And that what others think/feel about what they do, as they do their job, doesn't concern them in the least, either --- because they are just there to do the job they were put in position to do.

But of course they do-- they absorb and reflect on all that, take it all in----scan it, process it, file it,file it, file it, file it, file it ---then ACT. Nano-seconds. Whether it's about thoughts of anything (feelings or emotions notwithstanding) that relate to themselves, or that relate to those around them.

Whereas, introverted leaders will make necessary decisions, and then can and will admit with more than ten words their thoughts of feelings/emotions/etc as it relates to the issue.

The extrovert MAY in actuality be a duck, but may not WALK
like a duck, or ACT like a duck, or LOOK like a duck. May
be a trojan horse for that matter. Wolf in sheep's clothes.

Whereas the introvert in ACTUALITY may be a duck --- and
ya know what? ---- does WALK like a duck, and does ACT like a duck and yup, even looks like a duck.
Is it a duck? Or is it the lamb/sheep? Or is it that dratted
wolf/predator acting as the sheep/prey?

I think you might be oversimplifying personalities. Personalities vary by more factors than just introversion/extroversion. Are you familiar with the MBTI? It's a very famous personality test that gives you a four letter score, thus sixteen combinations are possible. The first facet of that is Introversion/extroversion. That's the one we are talking about in this discussion. The next is Sensory or Intuition, which is how you take in information about the world. That was somewhat confused with the topic of introversion and extroversion in the OP. It is talking about whether you are more acutely aware of various sensory data or if you just know things without necessarily knowing why you know things. For example, myself and a former co-worker were both very good at reading the emotions of other people. We usually came to the same conclusions when we discussed what someone was expressing. But she would tell you things like well her eyes were squinted and her mouth was.... I would just say, oh wow, she was mad. You could feel the angry energy coming off of her. My former coworker and I were both introverts. She was "S" and I was "N". The third factor was Thinking or Feeling. You are describing that factor here. It is also completely independent of Introversion or Extroversion. It's about how people make decisions, whether they rely more on their feelings or their thoughts. The final factor is Perceiving or Judging. That is a matter of which of the previous factors you place the most emphasis on, whether it is how you take information from the world in (perceiving) or how you make decisions (Judging). All four factors are a separate continuum so you might be strongly on one side of some factors and more in the middle of other factors.

For example, I am an INFP. I'm strongly Introverted, and strongly iNtuitive, I'm very close to the middle between Feeling and Thinking but fall just a little on the Feeling side, and I focus more on the Perceiving than the judging, but only by a little. So I'm quiet, I can't usually tell you the details of what just happened, but I know what just happened without knowing what just happened, if that makes sense. It probably doesn't. lol. I tend to way over think decisions and have a hard time coming to them if my feelings and thoughts are opposed to each other. When they align well that's a different story. It will seem like a no brainer for me then. And finally, getting all the info is more important to me than making a quick decision (so in a way you also were focused on that last factor some in your post too.)

Here is more information, and an opportunity to take the test. It's pretty accurate. It gives me the same type as the professional version. MBTI explained

Jackson, Missouri
#15New Post! Jul 13, 2014 @ 15:17:49
Ok, I'm wrong still. I'll get it right in a minute. That link contains info about where to take the test. Here is a free online knockoff version that is fairly accurate.

mbti test
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs