How large is your house/apartment?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 · >>
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:38:16
Basically I want to know what square footage it is, how many bedrooms and the like, plus how many people live in your house.

I'm curious to see the responses because I'm currently house hunting and I've noticed that despite it being only my mom and me, we want space that seems to be more than normal for two people. The houses we look at often average around 1800 square feet, which is a lot but there are reasons for this.
1) We each need a bedroom, but she needs a separate office and we would like a spare/guest bedroom as well, but it isn't necessary
2) The way houses are designed in my location, you either get a TON of space, more than you need, or you get very little, there's no in-between. A lot of the houses here don't have bedrooms big enough for my queen-size bed (And no, I don't need my queen-size bed, but I'll be damned if I put it in storage)

So yeah, just trying to see what kind of numbers are thrown out there and what seems to be typical for different family sizes.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#2New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:40:36
640 square foot. One bedroom. One large bathroom (it's bigger than my kitchen lol). It's just me and 2 cats. It was crowded when Maxi was here.. We're definitely going to need a 2 bedroom.
My bedroom will fit a king and dresser I think. It's got a huge closet, not walk in, but it's long.
clinically crackers

#3New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:42:19
@plebian_angel Said

640 square foot. One bedroom. One large bathroom (it's bigger than my kitchen lol). It's just me and 2 cats. It was crowded when Maxi was here.. We're definitely going to need a 2 bedroom.
My bedroom will fit a king and dresser I think. It's got a huge closet, not walk in, but it's long.

I wouldn't mind that, if it was just me! I like having a big bedroom but I'm not as fussed about living room size, which is the dilemma in my area. The living areas are massive but then you have tiny bedrooms.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:43:51
@eternus_somnium Said

I wouldn't mind that, if it was just me! I like having a big bedroom but I'm not as fussed about living room size, which is the dilemma in my area. The living areas are massive but then you have tiny bedrooms.

I camp out in the living room since that is where the AC is. My room has turned into storage tbh What you can get away with when you live alone LOL.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#5New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:44:38
It could fit in Pink's swimming pool.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:49:05
Maybe about 1,800 at a guess. Two bedroom, one on-suit with an additional bathroom. A large kithchen/living room, a balcony and a hallway. Two of us live here. Plenty of space.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#7New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:49:40
My house is huge for just JuanSmith and I, but our new roommate is moving in August 1st (yay) We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath with a separate bedroom and bathroom that are attached to the garage. I would say total square feet is somewhere around 1,700. This house is set up really cool; you enter into the living room and then turn to the left to enter the formal dining room. There is a door that leads to the 2 bedrooms and the bathroom, which makes it very private. There is also a door from the dining room to the kitchen, which has a breakfast nook and pantry, and a separate laundry/mud room which leads out to the yard and the garage and guest room. Having roommates in a house like this is ideal, because you can avoid them if you want and make lots of noise. There will be 3 people total living here, plus our 2 cats and 2 dogs.
clinically crackers

#8New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:52:30
@jmo Said

Maybe about 1,800 at a guess. Two bedroom, one on-suit with an additional bathroom. A large kithchen/living room, a balcony and a hallway. Two of us live here. Plenty of space.

I have honestly never seen a 2 bedroom house that large I mean 1800 is still quite a bit even for 3 bedrooms.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:53:17
Oh god I don't have a clue of the exact size! We have a decent size living room, enough for 2 sofas, a big tv and all your other living room furniture (coffee table etc), a good size kitchen with dining table and chairs in there too, small bathroom and good size bedroom - we're quite lucky it's quite spacious it's about the same size as our friends 2 bedroom flats in the same area. Ooh that's difficult if it's too big or too small and I guess the too big are too expensive? Maybe that's just the style round there? You could always double up your mum's office as a spare room by putting a futon in there? Ahh househunting is an arse, crossing my fingers for you that you find something soon
clinically crackers

#10New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 18:57:15
@boobear Said

Oh god I don't have a clue of the exact size! We have a decent size living room, enough for 2 sofas, a big tv and all your other living room furniture (coffee table etc), a good size kitchen with dining table and chairs in there too, small bathroom and good size bedroom - we're quite lucky it's quite spacious it's about the same size as our friends 2 bedroom flats in the same area. Ooh that's difficult if it's too big or too small and I guess the too big are too expensive? Maybe that's just the style round there? You could always double up your mum's office as a spare room by putting a futon in there? Ahh househunting is an arse, crossing my fingers for you that you find something soon

That sounds pretty nice! Yeah, it is the way they are here, for some reason. The larger ones aren't too expensive but I thought we could do a lot better on price And we could do the futon but the thing is it would be likely that my aunt would come to visit, she's a paraplegic and has to have beds of a certain height otherwise we're struggling to lift her back into her wheelchair Maybe do the futon thing and have my mom sleep there if my aunt visits, then she can have my mom's bed, or I'll switch. I didn't think of that until now.
boobear On August 15, 2016

London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 19:00:58
@eternus_somnium Said

That sounds pretty nice! Yeah, it is the way they are here, for some reason. The larger ones aren't too expensive but I thought we could do a lot better on price And we could do the futon but the thing is it would be likely that my aunt would come to visit, she's a paraplegic and has to have beds of a certain height otherwise we're struggling to lift her back into her wheelchair Maybe do the futon thing and have my mom sleep there if my aunt visits, then she can have my mom's bed, or I'll switch. I didn't think of that until now.

We love it Aww that's a pain cos it doesn't really give you much choice I suppose, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend more than it's worth. Ah, that could be a problem, at least you have thought about a sleeping plan now if it did come to doubling up your mum's office space, I suppose you need to think about the space there though and doorways etc, it just gets more and more complicated doesn't it!
clinically crackers

#12New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 19:05:48
@boobear Said

We love it Aww that's a pain cos it doesn't really give you much choice I suppose, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend more than it's worth. Ah, that could be a problem, at least you have thought about a sleeping plan now if it did come to doubling up your mum's office space, I suppose you need to think about the space there though and doorways etc, it just gets more and more complicated doesn't it!

Well, as long as doorways and the like are built to what I guess is a standard size that's not a problem, bathroom size is though- we've had that problem before But yeah, looking for a house in general is really complicated, there are so many factors involved!
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 19:35:44
I may be wrong on that but I'm guessing the flat is about 30 by 60. Could be well off though.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#14New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 20:05:16
3 bedroom 2 bath, garage.. about 2500 sq.ft. I think.
or I can't do math. square footage is a foreign language to me. Good thing my husband understands.

Though since he is a partial quadriplegic, and we had the house built, there are a few changes that seem like "dead space" in out house but really aren't. like wide hallways, and a huge master bath with a 5 x 5 foot shower.
It makes one of our bedrooms actually big enough for a pool table. and the guest has a full bed, but a queen would fit.

so actually I'm not sure how much this post helps, but anyway, I wanted to wish you luck. It's such a pain to find new home.
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#15New Post! Jul 12, 2011 @ 20:19:31
We just moved into a 3bdrm townhouse that is just over 1000sq.ft. The kitchen is a decent size. Even with the table and chairs and our huge fridge, there is still lots of room to move around. The basement is finished and has a large storage/laundry room. The living room is a good size. It's pretty much the same size as our back yard which is 19x25. The 2 kids bedrooms are a good size and the master bdrm is nice and big. The bathroom is smaller then our previous one, but still workable.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs