College Life

College Newspaper Problems

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#1New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:29:52
I am having a problem with the weekly newspaper that comes out at my college, Vol State in TN, USA.

First, there are large pictures on the front every week that do not have anything to do with the front story. Example: One week there was a gigantic picture (took up about two-thirds of the entire page) of a girl working in the radio station. It was a good picture, to be honest. However, the headline says, "Student leaders respond to the parking policy." The two, the headline and the picture, are not related at all. How does that make sense? Worse, it was not a single event - it has happened for the past three, maybe four weeks. It is being done on purpose, it seems!

Second, a number of stories are featuring more opinions than facts. Conflicts are being stirred up just for the sake of argument - there are some troubles within the school, but the paper is taking those small troubles and making it seem that the college is becoming Big Brother. It is dishonest and plain childish.

Does anyone relate to my suffering? Does anyone else agree that this paper seems to be doing a very poor job? Any thoughts at all?
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:33:05
Your right, but that is how people learn. I think the pictures are to divert your attention away from the not so interesting stories.
kyahbean On August 28, 2016

Williamstown, Massachusetts
#3New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:34:26
You should get on the staff of the paper and make some changes!!
bandylank On June 22, 2006

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:35:50
@kyahbean Said
You should get on the staff of the paper and make some changes!!

TAKE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:37:17
@bandylank Said
TAKE OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO IT. NOW!

Deleted

#6New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:37:24
I'm already on the magazine staff, and that is hard enough. Being on the newspaper would kill me.

Besides, I doubt I'd have very much say at all unless I was the editor or something.

#7New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:39:23
@shaggyjebus Said
I'm already on the magazine staff, and that is hard enough. Being on the newspaper would kill me.

Besides, I doubt I'd have very much say at all unless I was the editor or something.

DUDE! Write an article about it in the magazine!! See if anyone else has the same opinion. Maybe if you created some awareness about how dumb it was, it would take effect somewhere....
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#8New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:41:45
hmmm...saying that our student newspaper does that!!!
not all the time but some of time...usually its about some main feature in the middle of the paper.
so maybe thats wat the pics about?

OFTEN, the best thing to do is try and force the editor into a corner. its YOUR paper! you should be able to have a say in its running!

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:43:51
Well, the magazine works in the same office as the newspaper, so a lot of the people know each other through the two. As for saying something . . . eureka! Letter to the editor! I have it! I have a way to b**** and rant and complain!!! Yay!
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#10New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:50:43
make sure u save a copy too!!! that way when u come to approach him bout it got some proof u sent it!

#11New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 18:52:59
Letters to the Editor are a great way to say "Your newspaper SUCKS!! Do something about it!!"
jwasafrog On September 18, 2010

, California
#12New Post! Oct 11, 2005 @ 19:13:47
@shaggyjebus Said
I am having a problem with the weekly newspaper that comes out at
my college, Vol State in TN, USA.

First, there are large pictures on the front every week that do not have anything to do with
the front story. Example: One week there was a gigantic picture (took up about two-thirds
of the entire page) of a girl working in the radio station. It was a good picture, to be
honest. However, the headline says, "Student leaders respond to the parking policy." The
two, the headline and the picture, are not related at all. How does that make sense? Worse,
it was not a single event - it has happened for the past three, maybe four weeks. It is
being done on purpose, it seems!

Second, a number of stories are featuring more opinions than facts. Conflicts are being
stirred up just for the sake of argument - there are some troubles within the school, but
the paper is taking those small troubles and making it seem that the college is becoming
Big Brother. It is dishonest and plain childish.

Does anyone relate to my suffering? Does anyone else agree that this paper seems to be
doing a very poor job? Any thoughts at all?

Well, I can answer one thing. The unrelated picture is called "wild art." It's a pretty common
practice. A lot of the time stories don't have a good picture to go with them so the paper
suns a wild art. It should be clear that the picture isn't related to any of the storied on the
page though. If it looks like it's supposed to be with a story the the people running the
paper don't know that much about design. So, it is being done on purpose, maybe just not
very well.

Um... as for the opinion thing, if it's a news story then there shouldn't be any opinion AT
ALL, but if it's an opinion peice they can say whatever they want as long as it's not libel.

Student newspapers usually suck though. Accept for mine!

By the way, I totally want to read your magazine article when it's done. It's about straight
edge, right?

My college's magazine decided to run a story on the same thing.
chuck8303 On April 03, 2007
Troll

, Oklahoma
#13New Post! Oct 25, 2005 @ 18:16:03
@shaggyjebus Said

wait.. magazine or newspaper?

There is a difference. Magazines are opinions, newspapers are about news.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs