The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Religion & Philosophy:
Religion

Christians, why do you belive in the bible?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>
greyguitar On July 28, 2010

#1New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 19:55:33
My dog nods his head when I wave a toy up and down in front of him and if I asked him if he believed in god when I did it he would nod yes. But he doesn't know that his species is god spelled backward, let alone does he know enough to believe in god. He is just responding to known and applied stimuli.

Much like supporters of the bible nod and drool like Pavlov's dogs when a bible is waved in front of their faces. Reacting to a known and applied stimuli and engorging on the reanimated flesh of theocracy.

I am no test subject and I don't find zombie meat to be satisfying to my spiritual hunger.

If the bible is ALL COMPLETELY TRUE and it is a history of mankind so that we can look back and learn, why isn't god enlisting new prophets to continue writing it instead of leaving it stagnant and unchanged even as society and humans are changing and requiring different things to feed their faith?

Why do you believe in something outmoded and out dated? How can something written by specific people at a specific time pertain to us so far removed from the archaic message of that era?
shadowy On March 20, 2014

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 19:57:00
Very well said

#3New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 19:58:25
8) Thanks shadowy
iliterate_enginere On February 12, 2010

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#4New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:10:22
Out of date? Do you think that because we live in different times, that what is right and wrong have changed? Society's perspective on what is right and wrong is always changing, but what but the guide on how to live the perfect life should never change. I believe the bible because I already believe in God for my own reasons, I see the difference that christianity has made in peoples' lives, and because people have believed it since supposedly the beginning of mankind. New prophets are no long needed b/c Christ has already came and fulfilled those prophecies, and will come again to fulfill the rest.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:15:25
The bible is out of date because "societies perspective on what is right and wrong is always changing". You provided your own reason. It's no longer a stoning offence to work on a sunday. You should no longer need to nail your slaves ear to the door if he/she wants to stay with you longer than 7 years. Homosexuality is no longer considered a sin by most thinking individuals. It is no longer appropriate to kill everyone in a conquered town except female virgins. The list goes on.

#6New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:20:04
God outlawed us from having a perfect life. He cast us out and forced us to be imperfect, if you believe the dogma. How can he outlaw us in one breath from being perfect, and in the next demand that we strive to attain a perfection that we can never reach?

The bible IS old and out dated. Right and wrong haven't changed so much, but people's need for it to be written in plain english has been what has changed. The bible has been reinterpreted so many times and there have been subtractions and additions to suit leaders at specific times, that it makes my head spin to think about it. There is no one interpretation, personally or institutionally.

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#7New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:21:03
Well, I can't exactly agree with you on your examples, but my point is who is society to determine what's right and wrong? Why should this ever change? I realize that people change and views change, but why should an absolute scale of right and wrong ever change?
psychospice On February 29, 2008

Deleted

Capitol Heights, Maryland
#9New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:25:06
If you don't believe in the Bible, that's your deal. If you're not a Christian, that's your business.

How many topics will be created challenging the beliefs of Christians? And what is the intent behind them?

Pshhhttt...

Deleted

Wichita, Kansas
#10New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:26:56
@greyguitar Said
God outlawed us from having a perfect life. He cast us out and forced us to be imperfect, if you believe the dogma. How can he outlaw us in one breath from being perfect, and in the next demand that we strive to attain a perfection that we can never reach?

The bible IS old and out dated. Right and wrong haven't changed so much, but people's need for it to be written in plain english has been what has changed. The bible has been reinterpreted so many times and there have been subtractions and additions to suit leaders at specific times, that it makes my head spin to think about it. There is no one interpretation, personally or institutionally.

God did not force us to be imperfect. We did that to ourselves. We should try to be perfect so we can at least be proud of ourselves and have self respect. I believe that God blesses people who follow him and strive for the guidline set in the bible. That and "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If you want people to be nice to you it really helps to be nice to them first.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:27:23
@psychospice Said
If you don't believe in the Bible, that's your deal. If you're not a Christian, that's your business.

How many topics will be created challenging the beliefs of Christians? And what is the intent behind them?

Pshhhttt...

As many as people chose to create, thats what free speech is about.

The intent, i can't answer for the OP but i would say the intent is to ask questions.

#13New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:30:59
@iliterate_enginere Said
Well, I can't exactly agree with you on your examples, but my point is who is society to determine what's right and wrong? Why should this ever change? I realize that people change and views change, but why should an absolute scale of right and wrong ever change?

Society is who created god. If he isn't accountable to us for his right or wrongs, who would he be accountable to? We as a society have stood on the shoulders of our ancestors to create the laws and others wouldn't go along with them unless they had it from a higher authority. So people suddenly started claiming that god told them to do things, like write the bible.

It wasn't from god's mouth, it was from man's hands, taking the lords name in vain if ever it was done, so that they wouldn't have to stand by their own convictions. They let you do it for them.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Feb 26, 2008 @ 20:34:19
@iliterate_enginere Said
No, I just don't believe your interpretations are correct.

They are correct, not all of it can be interpreted multiple ways.

If the bible says "Then thou shalt take an aul, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise." it is kinda hard to interpret that any other way than nail them to the door.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: 1 2 3 4 · >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs