The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

Fringe Groups.... Are They To Blame for the Mess our Media is In?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#1New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 02:55:02
Quote:

Update:
A former CBS News Vice President and Washington Bureau Chief, veteran journalists and media ethicists are now criticizing CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson for attending CPAC to accept an award from a discredited, partisan entity like AIM. You can
review their criticisms here , but don't forget to sign the letter first.

The link in the quote takes you here,
Journalism Veterans Criticize CBS Reporter Receiving Award At CPAC

Quote:
Veteran journalists and media ethicists -- including a former CBS News Washington bureau chief -- are criticizing CBS News reporter Sharyl Attkisson for accepting an award from Accuracy in Media, a conservative group with a long history of promoting anti-gay views and conspiracy theories.

here is a link to the page where if you agree, you can sign and send the letter
Tell CBS News: Don't Legitimize Discredited Fringe Groups

https://action.mediamatters.org/cbs_aim?utm_campaign=cbs_aim&utm_medium=email&utm_source=mediamatters

Is this the root of the problem with media today ?

Quote:
"It does damage the brand to accept an award from a group that seeks to influence the news," Steffens said in an e-mail. "Many such organizations out there seek to 'sway' reporters through contests and awards.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#2New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 03:44:45
vaccines cause autism?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#3New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 03:49:59
CDC Chief Admits that Vaccines Trigger Autism

Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#4New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 03:53:34
Since this is an opinion forum, I'll voice my worthless opinion and hope it makes me a celebrity! Hahaha, JK. Anyways, I don't think it is the fringe groups per se that are to blame for the media mess, rather it is many different causes. One of the primary causes is Money plain and simple. When the root reason news is drudged up is for money, we lose sight of what is important in news and that is knowledge and awareness of the world around us. This leads me to the second thing.

Mass media has lost its direction. It is now driven more by a hunger for money and recognition that it no longer serves its original purpose. They even become soap boxes for partisan politics which is utterly inexcusable. Entities such as Fox entertainment are bullhorns for the "Right" and CNN are bullhorns for the so called "Left" which causes schisms in the laymen populace. Then, they also skew or misappropriate facts and statements to further a specific goal or idea. In doing this, they all forget the basic tenet of news and life.. "The truth shall set you free"

Ignorance is another reason the media is in the mess it is in. No time in history has so much knowledge been so freely available yet the laymen do not pick up on this availability rather they choose to follow the "media" which often has designs and plans of its own. They buy the nonsense without fact-checking allowing media entities to get away with effective murder of the truth.

All in all, there are many reasons the media is in a mess but the fact remains that media is a reflection of society. In Nazi germany, the media was a tool for propaganda which effectively depicted the ruling regime. Today's media serves us as a reminder. When we look at the media, we are looking into the mirror of the ourselves on a macro scale... and it is not pretty anymore
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#5New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 03:59:28
@Tar Said

Today's media serves us as a reminder. When we look at the media, we are looking into the mirror of the ourselves on a macro scale... and it is not pretty anymore

honesty don't need a spin.
news needs spin to make us watch?
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 04:03:37
@Willi Said

honesty don't need a spin.
news needs spin to make us watch?

Regrettably yes. I read the news from contrasting websites because it was what I was taught in school. Never believe one source. Always look at both sides of the argument and be a Devil's Advocate against what you support just to understand better. Most people are not taught that form or reasoning and they follow the subconscious direction of least resistance. They want to hear news which justifies their position never caring about the truth hence the prevalence of spin. Very few people want to do the hard work of learning and changing. They want "mental junk food" not food for thought because thought is too trying for them. They've become lax and lazy... and the future goes down the toilet
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#7New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 04:56:39
@Willi Said

vaccines cause autism?

It isn't so much about the report the she is being given the award for , but who is giving the award .
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#8New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 22:25:58
@white_swan53 Said

It isn't so much about the report the she is being given the award for , but who is giving the award .

then the award is one earned?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#9New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 22:32:07
@Tar Said

Regrettably yes. I read the news from contrasting websites because it was what I was taught in school. Never believe one source. Always look at both sides of the argument and be a Devil's Advocate against what you support just to understand better. Most people are not taught that form or reasoning and they follow the subconscious direction of least resistance. They want to hear news which justifies their position never caring about the truth hence the prevalence of spin. Very few people want to do the hard work of learning and changing. They want "mental junk food" not food for thought because thought is too trying for them. They've become lax and lazy... and the future goes down the toilet

think of life before cable tv and the internet.
Tar On April 28, 2014

San Antonio, Texas
#10New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 22:34:37
@Willi Said

think of life before cable tv and the internet.

Think of honor before life, for without honor, a life is not worth living
Elza On July 27, 2012

, Canada
#11New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 22:39:52
I don't think as a human being anyone can truly be objectional so the media will always have some sort of spin on it. I think its up to us to make sure we don't just take one side of a story and rather read several views so we can come to our own more informed version of what may or may not be the truth when it comes to the the bias in media.

I think these fringe groups just know how to squeak the wheel louder and thats why they are getting more of the attention most of us normal thinking people would rather they didn't get. If anything getting a reward from one of these groups should at the very least open our eyes as to who not to listen to when it comes to news worthy news.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Feb 09, 2012 @ 22:48:13
@Tar Said

Think of honor before life, for without honor, a life is not worth living

agreed
when the purpose of life is acheived, it has been worth it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs