Jobs & Careers

Strengths and weaknesses

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Silver_Lining On March 21, 2023
RIP Boobie

STOKE-ON-TRENT, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 07:38:41
I've been preparing for my interview and I've been thinking about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm struggling to think of a weakness, not because I don't have any but because I wouldn't want to use something that may be a huge negative towards me and that seems it'd be hard to work with

What do you say is your strengths and weaknesses when you're in an interview?
Hypnotica On October 08, 2023

Banned

Steel City (Sheffield), United
#2New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 07:46:11
@Silver_Lining Said

I've been preparing for my interview and I've been thinking about my strengths and weaknesses. I'm struggling to think of a weakness, not because I don't have any but because I wouldn't want to use something that may be a huge negative towards me and that seems it'd be hard to work with

Just do the things which are negative to you, but an employer would like.

I always leave late, I cant just leave a job undone.
Im too much of a perfectionist.
I wont rest until my work is done.

Or just do the good old, sure I have had my weaknesses, but whenever I discover a new weakness I work on it so it is gone.
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#3New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 09:44:02
I'm bluntly honest - Better than pretending to be something I'm not and getting a reputation.

Pros

Analytical
Troubleshooter
Communication
Diplomacy
Immersive

Cons

Physical
Repetition
Speed
I work better alone

Banned

#4New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 10:04:26
@Electric_Banana Said

I'm bluntly honest - Better than pretending to be something I'm not and getting a reputation.

Pros

Analytical
Troubleshooter
Communication
Diplomacy
Immersive

Cons

Physical
Repetition
Speed
I work better alone

How is reframing a strength as a weakness, pretending to be something your not?
Electric_Banana On April 24, 2024

, New Zealand
#5New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 10:10:11
@Hypnotica Said

How is reframing a strength as a weakness, pretending to be something your not?

It's not.

I'm always honest.

I'm no Superman.

Banned

#6New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 10:12:58
@Electric_Banana Said

It's not.

I'm always honest.

I'm no Superman.

No one has said you are Superman.
Trust me you dont need to reassure me of that.
RIP Boobie

#7New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 11:19:13
@Hypnotica Said

Just do the things which are negative to you, but an employer would like.

I always leave late, I cant just leave a job undone.
Im too much of a perfectionist.
I wont rest until my work is done.

Or just do the good old, sure I have had my weaknesses, but whenever I discover a new weakness I work on it so it is gone.

My friend is a director and conducts interviews, I've asked him about weaknesses, he said whatever I do, don't say something like "I'm too much of a perfectionist" - he said he'd just think the person is a cock.

I've come up with a couple that I think would work.

Banned

#8New Post! Sep 12, 2014 @ 11:43:44
@Silver_Lining Said

My friend is a director and conducts interviews, I've asked him about weaknesses, he said whatever I do, don't say something like "I'm too much of a perfectionist" - he said he'd just think the person is a cock.

I've come up with a couple that I think would work.

I dunno, I seriously wont leave work if we have a high priority problem even though if I ask for overtime I will probably get laughed at, but thats just the way I am.

If a server crashes and I just walk out because Im not getting 15 minutes overtime, Im probably not a good candidate as all it would prove is I have no interest in the company.

And that is basically what I said, in my last interview. A little more rounded up. But I got the message across, that Im not just a clock off and f**k off person.

But I would personally view it as a weakness to me, as I put my job before my personal life in some situations.

Good for employer.
Bad for me.
cwr13 On September 14, 2014

Medina, Ohio
#9New Post! Sep 14, 2014 @ 00:59:22
As a strength, talk to them about being ethical in the workplace. Employers will always respect that about an individual. Business ethics are key aspects to a successful business!
a_phoenix_inside On April 20, 2021

Towson, Maryland
#10New Post! Sep 14, 2014 @ 09:58:53
@Silver_Lining Said

I struggled with this question too, it seems like a trap to me lol.

I said one of my weaknesses was perfectionism and being chronically early for everything. I have used being introverted previously and it didn't seem to count against me too much but that's just me.
RIP Boobie

#11New Post! Sep 14, 2014 @ 14:53:02
@cwr13 Said

As a strength, talk to them about being ethical in the workplace. Employers will always respect that about an individual. Business ethics are key aspects to a successful business!

I've got plenty of strengths to use, thanks. I've decided on my weakness and I've come up with some examples
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#12New Post! Sep 14, 2014 @ 20:09:29
For me, I always mention my punctuality as a weakness. It usually takes me a few days to adjust to new schedules and get myself established in a new workplace environment, so I always bring that up. I do whatever I can to try and be there on time, but sometimes there are unforeseen/uncontrollable events that cause me to be late. I always do whatever I can to make up for it, however.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#13New Post! Sep 15, 2014 @ 00:02:56
@Silver_Lining Said

The idea is not to give them a weakness as such, but rather, give them a strength that appears to be a weakness. Things like being pedantic or having a need to finish a project once started etc., are pretty good. The idea that you tend to put too much time into your work but aware of it and are seeking to create more balance in life, is not a bad thing. Also, depending on the type of job, showing that you are willing to step up and take control in a situation that requires action can also be a good weakness.
RIP Boobie

#14New Post! Sep 15, 2014 @ 10:15:16
@bob_the_fisherman Said

The idea is not to give them a weakness as such, but rather, give them a strength that appears to be a weakness. Things like being pedantic or having a need to finish a project once started etc., are pretty good. The idea that you tend to put too much time into your work but aware of it and are seeking to create more balance in life, is not a bad thing. Also, depending on the type of job, showing that you are willing to step up and take control in a situation that requires action can also be a good weakness.

Yeah, that's why I was initially struggling. I've come up with a good one I can use which is a weakness for me but works in favour for other people
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#15New Post! Sep 22, 2014 @ 21:30:48
I think the opposite of what Bob said is true, I always admit a true weakness of mine and end the answer on a positive note.

For example, communication is my weakness. I sometimes don't clearly understand how the project or task is organized. As a creative thinker, I have always found this area to be difficult, but I ask a lot of questions to make sure it doesn't hinder my performance.

I always receive positive responses from interviewers when I give them this answer. I think it shows I'm not a bulls***ter, I have heightened self awareness, and I'm committed to self improvement.

But, that's just my 2 cents.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs