My Stats
United States
PLS: ? 50

ProfileJournalFriendsPostsPics

Activist News Network
Headlines from the front lines
Time to ban land mines
July 24, 2000 @ 05:00:00 am
This letter comes from the June 29 fcnl-news of the Friends Committee on National Legislation, and was written by Pat Murphy. It goes to President, Vice President, and House of Representatives. ...

This letter comes from the June 29 fcnl-news of the Friends Committee on National Legislation, and was written by Pat Murphy. It goes to President, Vice President, and House of Representatives.

To: The President, The Vice President, Your Representatives

Dear _________________:

The United States must join with the world of civilized nations and sign the treaty to ban land mines, now and forever.

These terrible weapons may or may not be effective during time of combat. But for years after any conflict they continue to maim innocent men, women, and children, domestic animals, and wild animals. They are a relic of the barbarous past of humankind that must be purged from use.

On Tuesday, June 20, 2000, Reps. McGovern (MA), Quinn (NY), and Evans (IL) circulated a "Dear Colleague" letter which invites fellow House members to sign a letter to Pres. Clinton about the Mine Ban Treaty. The letter to the President outlines specific steps he can take before leaving office in order to bring the U.S. closer to joining the Mine Ban Treaty.

Please accept and listen to this important letter. The United States must help to make sure these terrible weapons cease to exist.

Sincerely yours

Your name and optional address

This letter was released on 07/01/2000.
Retire date is 07/31/2000.

Topics for this letter:
Ecology
Human Rights
Peace
International Politics
Domestic Politics

Quote | Reply

Quote | Reply